What the Hell? Tim Schafer cameo in a random toy video

amirite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So a family friend this morning posted something completely inconspicuous that I happened to have the urge to click on. The thumbnail that carried through to the feed simply had a thumbnail of a woman sitting cross-legged on the ground with a toy next to her. Little did I know that when I clicked. through I'd end up here:

http://yearswww.upworthy.com/move-over-barbie-8212-youre-obsolete?g=2&c=ie

(click through the orange pop-up screen because you care about equality)

Wait... what the fuck? Is that Tim Schafer? That's Tim Schafer! WHAT THE FUCK?

He appears twice in the video, once near the beginning and once near the end, simply being Tim Schafer and acknowledging that, in fact, his daughter made the dog spin. Of course this happens a mere 2 days after I decide to back Broken Age and marathon the current 10 episodes of the documentary series. After looking into the project a little more, it's a Kickstarter-funded thing which so far is the only explanation I can think of that he'd be in this video. Is there a direct connection here that anyone knows of? Maybe they just live near each-other...?

Anyway. Weird occurrence that I thought I'd share. Schafer seems like a cool dude and a good Dad.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

Friend of the family? It's not his wife.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tim Schafer secretly controls all Kickstarters through a vast network of minions who merely pretend to be running the Kickstarter campaigns.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Huh. Major WTF moment. Epic WTF moment.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

That is Tim Schafer and his daughter. He became interested in the idea, and they asked if they could film his daughter playing with it. He apparently thought it was a great idea, and he was glad to be of assistance to her project.

He tweeted this back in September of last year:

"Lili and I got to check out a cool engineering toy for girls, and they used us in their KS video!"

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Now I'm tempted to dig up the old thread where we talked about this, but that was like years ago.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I remember being surprised and delighted when this was brought up a while back. But it's been just enough time that I've forgotten, only to be surprised and delighted once again.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel compelled to punish myself in some way for giving that site traffic.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mariachimacabre said:

Tim Schafer secretly controls all Kickstarters through a vast network of minions who merely pretend to be running the Kickstarter campaigns.

He is a busy, busy man. And we all love him for it.

I've always been a huge fan of getting more females into science careers, and I'm glad Tim is, too. Also, Lili Schafer is adorable.