Avatar image for violentpacifist
ViolentPacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ViolentPacifist

Hey, guys, I just recently started getting into computer games, but i have been spoiled by the consoles, and I find the skipping framerate offputting, much as I thought I could tolerate it. I sought out a website where I could ask experts such as yourselves what would be recommended for cutscenes and gameplay that would be decently smooth (yes, I tried lowering the resolution, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference, besides...) I'd like to be able to play decently well without the "lag" being terribly prominent. I don't know if I would need a better video card or what... I know nothing about computers, though I'm not too old to learn.

If I made a mistake in posting this, please point me in the right direction.

Back in 2009, I bought the following computer for $600:

Dell

Inspiron 560

Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5700 @ 3.00 Ghz 3.00 Ghz

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service pack 1

ACPI x64-based

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

I don't know what all info to put down.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams

It looks like you need a graphics card. You might have to settle for a more discreet (one that would fit that smallish case) card. You first step would be to measure that top pci-e slot inside the case and see how much room you'll have. That way you don't accidentally buy a card bigger than what can fit.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500256

Avatar image for violentpacifist
ViolentPacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ViolentPacifist
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@Jams:

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tunaburn

video card for sure. also dual core is pretty slow now a days for gaming but it still will run stuff on low settings.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colorbrandon

Because you have a pre-built, chances are the power supply is also pretty small in terms of wattage. There are just a ton of bottle-necks with your current computer. The only thing I would salvage is probably the hard drive (which might not even be SATA, which you will need adapters), optical drives (again, you might need adapters), and your windows 7 key.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jams

@ViolentPacifist: Sorry, that's not what I meant. You need to measure from where the video card attaches to the back of the case, along where the card runs until you hit something on the way to the front of the case. Take that measurement in to consideration when shopping for a card. The reason I suggested this is that sometimes those pre-built computers come in small cases with little space inside to expand.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided