What was your first quote amazing unquote Sony 1st party story experience

Avatar image for sometingbanuble
sometingbanuble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

I don’t think people were singing the praise of the Sony single player experience until the PS4 era. I’m currently playing The Getaway and it is pretty captivating. What is your (not FFVII) first experience with single player greatness from Sony?

Fluidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I would argue that Somth didn’t HAVE a lot of “single player greatness” until the ps3 era.

There are a lot of reasons for this, but one of them is that the ps1 and ps2 were still in the “arcade era”. The way games were constructed, people wanted multiplayer and expected it, generally.

Secondly the ps1 wasn’t good with rendering people and do most playstation games featured vehicles. The ps2 era tried to have more human-based games but it was still pretty rough. It was ps3 that was capable enough at rendering people and environments that “story” really started to become a thing in non rpg styled games.

But to answer your question, Parappa The Rappa, probably,

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Ico

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluidk: I don't really understand this at all. It's true that Sony didn't have a ton of first party megahits in the PS1 and PS2 era, but that was because Sony itself didn't have a huge game development department, not because there was a lack of story or games featuring "people" or single player games?

Where does that even come from? PS1 games all feature vehicles and don't have stories? Metal Gear Solid? Syphon Filter? Resident Evil? Silent Hill? Tomb Raider? As someone who owned a PlayStation in the 90s these claims just seem like they come out of nowhere.

As for OP's question, the answer is probably Gran Turismo for me. That game looked incredible for the time. If we're talking single player narrative focused games it's probably God of War. But I'm not counting a TON of huge second party games like Jak & Daxter here. Sony always had a lot of big great exclusives, it's just that they weren't developed internally for the first decade or so of the PlayStation brand.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Specifically first party from Sony?
Syphon Filter?

No Caption Provided
hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ape Escape, but mostly because that was around the time Sony introduced the Dual Shock and I, as an N64 kid, could finally enjoy PlayStation games without suffering through godawful controls.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GTxForza

I'd say Gran Turismo, because for having:

• Good driving physics for the simcade standards
  • Driving school mode (Which can teach players to improve their driving skills)
  • Winning virtual money in order to purchase more cars and progressing through the career mode
  • Ability to upgrade cars by using virtual cash to buy parts
  • A good roster of cars and tracks
AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

For me it would be the original Wild Arms. I ended up loving that game more than FF7, because of its old school JRPG gameplay, complete with clever puzzles. Its surprising fun turn-based battles with Arms and surprisingly good story. And of course the memorable wild western themed soundtrack.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Shadow of the Colossus.