What would you like to see in future community tournaments?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If you weren't aware (and I wouldn't blame you!) we recently wrapped up the Rocket League community tournament, in which 16 teams competed. Congrats to Nintendownload X-press for taking home the championship, which we streamed on Sunday! I still need to get their addresses to send them some stuff.

It took a while from inception to final, which is mostly on me: I've never used Challonge before, it was a bit slow to play one match a week, and I also got delayed by stuff like E3 and a vacation. But I tried to be pretty clear that this was mostly a learning experience for me! I feel like I have a better grasp of what it takes to make something like this work, so: lesson learned.

I was curious if any of you have any ideas as to what you'd like to see if I manage to throw together future tournaments, in terms of games, or length, etc. I definitely think I'd prefer to do another tournament with something I can do in a day or a weekend. Obviously any games that we do would probably have to have some kind of spectator mode, and I'm not sure what the new hotness is in that space. A few people suggested a PUBG thing, but I'm not quite sure how that would work.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, so for the PUBG thing here is how it works: We get 10,000 people from the community to sign up. 100 games with 100 people. The winners of those 100 games go into one final game to decide the tournament winner.

But for real, CSGO or Dota might work. Or how about a 1v1 game like Frozen Synapse (old game I know)? It wouldn't require quite as many people.

mangopup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity: Original Sin 2. Have a 1v1 tourney and a 2v2 tourney. Limit item use to reduce match length.

Dr_Unorthadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heathstone. Its a free to play game. Where anyone can take part and you do not require a team!

tjhall42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how big the GB community in these games is, but I vote for Absolver or For Honor. They're two cool fighting games with unique mechanics that I think would be fun to both watch & participate in.

ChocoRokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warcraft 3v3s obviously.

pimanrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Splatoon 2 added a spectator mode ;)

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I second Hearthstone.

refleksy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I'm biased but I still want to throw my hat in there for Dota 2 :D

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By duke_of_the_bump

Quake Live

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By Forcen

Nidhog 2

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13 sweep  Moderator

If you're going to do a hearthstone tournament you need to do best of 3 with bans and stuff. It's also limited to individual servers as card collections can't be transferred across, so you would need separate tournaments for EU/US etc. Because fucking blizzard.

Also while you can get all the cards you need to compete at a high level completely free, it would take you months of committed playing to do so. And by the time you got the cards you need there'd be a new expansion and you'd have to start all over again. So even though Hearthstone is technically "free to play" that tournament is only going to be accessible to people who've already sunk a fair amount of time and money into the game.

How about an RTS?

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Tournament style Xcom 2 might be cool and fun to watch. That's all I got.