What's Crystal Dynamics best game?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cikame

Jeff's latest video got me thinking, so yeah, what is their best game? You can take a critical approach to this or just name your favourites.

I think Tomb Raider Legend, the combat's not amazing but it was the most approachable and fun TR up to that point, just running around in that game is fun.
Shoutouts to TR and the Guardian of Light, also very very good.

I also want to mention Soul Reaver which left an impact on me as a kid but is something i need to go back and play more than 2 hours of, and Pandemonium 1 and 2, which are hard to go back to, but taught me how to spell the word pandemonium.

Edit: Here's a handy list, also i forgot to attach this post to the Crystal D forum i apologise.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't have much time right now, but if i look through the list i think they make a lot of 7/10, 8/10 type of games.

I'd say Soul Reaver, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Guardian of Light & Temple of Osiris are their best games.

Although i respect Mad Dash Racing for being a racing game on foot. Someone has to take the heat to Sonic.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Possibly Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver, and the first Tomb Raider Reboot.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This make me think a show where each episode they go through a specific company catalog could be pretty cool. I'm surprised they didnt do something like that before.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Best Game: Tomb Raider (2013)

Honorable Mentions (only in order of the wiki):
*Samurai Showdown
*Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (might as well just put the whole franchise here)
*Tomb Raider: Legend (except the end made me mad)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Haven’t play them all but out of the ones I’ve played, the 2013 TR reboot.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Soul Reaver 2

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite is The Unholy War, which is technically a Toys For Bob joint, but the dev is listed as Crystal Dynamics. It came with a demo of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, which is to this date the only part of that game I’ve played.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

With these companies who have been around for a long time, I tend to think that there needs to be a handicap system in place.

Back in 1998 I bet Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, was considered an amazing game, worth of 9/10 or that range. But would it be seen taht way now? Is Soul Reaver their GOAT? Or, would Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Year Celebration, a more recent publication be theirs, be greatest of all time? Or really should we be thinking of GEX as their break-out where their development skills were noticed?

I say their GOAT is LoK: Soul Reaver, because while GEX was popular it was not a favorit, I think Soul Reaver was one of those cult hits that mattered more. JMO.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Legacy of Kain series for me. Particularly the first one that was like a top/down Zelda for edgy goth kids. I ate that shit up as a teen and I still have a good chunk of nostalgia for it, whereas pretty much everything else they did I didn’t have much exposure to, even for Tomb Raider.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

From their modern games definitely the first Tomb Raider.

From the back catalogue I would probably say Soul Reaver.

JoshuaShore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ydross: Well holy shit dude, you did it. You made a feature on the site haha

dio555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider 2013 would be my favourite for sure. From the combat and exploration it was a great game. Also enjoyed the Gex series a lot as a kid.

Egss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tomb Raider's Nude Raider Myth Was Fake - But It Almost Wasn't

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

TR Reboot, Rise of the TR and TR: Legend are the top 3 for sure. All of which are fucking fantastic. Legend takes the number 1 spot by a close margin though.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Soul Reaver is probably the nostalgic choice and maybe even the logical one all caveats for era and platform aside. But given that I was never particular smitten with that game's demo at the time nor ever played it in full, Rise of the Tomb Raider seems like the only choice.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably didn't appreciate Soul Reveal enough at the time, but Tomb Raider 2013 is almost the perfect action/adventure title before the bloated collectathon sequels.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I adore the first TR Reboot game. It has almost perfect pacing and I have replayed it several times. The sequels are fine but got bogged down in the larger areas and sheer amount of materials to pick up.