Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Reading articles and listening to podcasts, people keep going on about pre-orders, gamestop..etc...etc. Whats the deal with it? I've never pre-ordered a single item in my life and there is no need to. The local shops always had everything in stock day 1 without problems.

Let me describe the local market. You can pretty much call it a perfectly competitive market for you economists.
Save a few chain book stores that carry games on the side, we do not have any single provider of games ie...EBgames/gamestop. However, we just have dozens and dozens of independent game stores that are pretty clustered around each other in several spots around the place I live. Prices are pretty much the same so it comes up to a choice of convienence or preference. The monopoly is at the distributor level but on the retail side, it's pretty much equal footing for everyone which is probably why they diversify into other stuff like comics...etc.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I only preorder over the internet which can usually have my games arrive earlier than the actual release date and at a lower price at that.
Celegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Celegus

Only times I ever pre-ordered anything was when they had awesome bonuses for free, i.e. my Bounty Hunters shirt for pre-ordering Metroid Prime 2. Doesn't happen too often though.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum
@Abyssfull: unless theres an offer or something online, the local prices are cheaper because of exchange rates and delivery costs. So theres not alot of incentive to go that route.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

I preorder to lock in sales & get bonus offers.  That's the only reason I'll preorder.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Diamond said:
" I preorder to lock in sales & get bonus offers.  That's the only reason I'll preorder. "
Same here, especially if it's a game I think is big. Then again, there have been stories about GameStop not giving a crap about a person's pre-order, so...
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By matthew

For the business side, it's basically a guarantee that you have a unit being sold at launch.  Unfortunately,  there seems to a move towards instant sales in our industry, much aligning with the Box Office for the film industry.   

For the consumer, often times the market is far tougher than what you have described.  The publisher or developer will often throw in some type of incentive for pre-ordering.  Be it a soundtrack, poster, golden guns, etc.  It also is supposed to guarantee a copy for the consumer for up to 48 hours after the release of the game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yummylee
@kitsune_conundrum:
On play.com though the games are always at least at standard retail price if not cheaper. Free delivery too, honestly haven't bought a game from a shop in ages because of such awesomness.
Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dark_Jon

Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others!
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I do it sometimes if I want to trade in a game towards something in the future before the price on the trade in goes down. Its also good for paying for games in stages. Like $10 a month or something.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull: Euro and pounds man. I guess it makes sense if your in the UK but those prices are still ridiculous elsewhere in the world.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TimAllen624: We don't have a second-hand retailer. Everything is consumer-to-consumer deals in a central online forum that we use. We usually can get back above 50% of costs on games.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yummylee
@kitsune_conundrum:
Lol yeah true, but its still the best pricing I can go with over here =P