Where are all the large scale online games gone?

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Edited By metal_mills

Recently I've really been wanting to play a big online PC shooter again, problem is...there aren't any around anymore. I'm talking 32-64 player, vehicles, huge maps, tanks and jets and bombs going everywhere. There hasn't been a new Battlefield(a proper one) in coming on 4 years now and that wasn't really a massive upgrade from 2 either.

What else is there? TF2 is fun but its not the same as BF, no vehicles and smaller maps. CoD is the same and was severely cut down in size in MW2. There's MAG which is PS3 exclusive(and looks kinda bleh), there's Bad Company 2 which is big battles I guess but still not BF2 size and...that's it. Where the hell is Battlefield 3? Why aren't other games jumping on this severely lacking genre? 

Surely I'm not the online one wanting it? I'm thinking of actually going back to BF2, it's 5 years old and the best option until March next year, pathetic. And after March? God knows.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Recently I've really been wanting to play a big online PC shooter again, problem is...there aren't any around anymore. I'm talking 32-64 player, vehicles, huge maps, tanks and jets and bombs going everywhere. There hasn't been a new Battlefield(a proper one) in coming on 4 years now and that wasn't really a massive upgrade from 2 either.

What else is there? TF2 is fun but its not the same as BF, no vehicles and smaller maps. CoD is the same and was severely cut down in size in MW2. There's MAG which is PS3 exclusive(and looks kinda bleh), there's Bad Company 2 which is big battles I guess but still not BF2 size and...that's it. Where the hell is Battlefield 3? Why aren't other games jumping on this severely lacking genre? 

Surely I'm not the online one wanting it? I'm thinking of actually going back to BF2, it's 5 years old and the best option until March next year, pathetic. And after March? God knows.

klownboots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By klownboots

Mag seems to be exactly what you are looking for. As far as it looking bleh, I dunno what you are looking at but it looks fantastic to me. Also it seems like Sony is hinting at a Planetside sequel. If they did it right... oh man I would be in heaven.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

Yup.

The "old" stuff is still being played, so at least there's still that.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By thecleric

Consoles are generally the main thing right now, and outside of MAG, the large battlefields can't be done. 

No one's taken a risk and went out and made a large scale FPS on the PC, which is sad because Battlefield 2 sold extremely well.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By cap123

I really really loved BF2 when it first came out, my PC was rubbish but it was so epic it blew my mind. Strike at Karkand (something like that) was the best map ever, i would just play it over and over. Also it first opened my eyes to the horror (and joy) of noob tubing. 

Never did manage to fly a plane properly...

also BF2142 wasn't very good in comparison. I remember the weapons felt really soft impact. I really hope they do normal modern combat if they do another one, future ones are too much 'pew pew', not enough 'thunk thunk'.