Where are all the "next gen" ports?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It seems like the flow of games to the "next gen" (XBONE/PS4) consoles is starting to pick up a little bit but I am genuinely baffled why, during the fallow period between November and now, there were so few ports of recent games. We had Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition and now Rayman (as well as cross gen stuff and Injustice at launch) but that's relatively few considering my expectations. The last few years the PS3 and 360 have struggled to keep up with newer games while high quality assets have been made for PC versions. Games like Saints Row 4 and Far Cry 3 have had frame issues and have all the assets needed for high quality ports. For Saints Row there's even still content being produced. I expected that since the XBONE and PS4 architecture is extremely PC-like we'd see a bunch of easy ports of recent games to try and take advantage of the fallow period. Certainly we saw a bunch of stuff ported to the Wii U for this purpose, and it has a smaller install base than the BONE/PS4.

Why did they not materialize? i would have bought SR3/4 for next gen at a reasonable price, been tempted by a better version of Sleeping Dogs, and GTA V would have obviously sold millions. Now if these ports end up coming they will be entering a post Titanfall/Infamous world where expectations may be higher and pent up demand may be lower. It seems strange to me that so few games tried to capitalize on the lull, especially since the porting would have been relatively easy. If PS4 development is easy enough that developers of indies like Don't Starve, Outlast, and Octodad can port their stuff over in a matter of months then someone could have cheaply given us the best console version of Far Cry 3 out there, and people who missed it the first time and wanted something to play on their new boxes would have bought it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I guess they just didn't feel like it was worth it. It's probably more than just simply putting together a small team to port the PC version of a game down to the Xbone or PS4, or port the 360 version up to those two. That whole process probably involves a few months of waiting and authorizing and other stuff you might have to do to get your recent game on the PS4 and Xbox One. And a lot of publishers were expecting to compete with the likes of Watch Dogs and Titanfall at launch, too, which didn't happen but it was still supposed to for quite some time. Also, indie games tend to be a lot less complex than the likes of GTA V, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3, so porting those games might be easier.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I wouldn't mind a Far-Cry 3 next-gen port. But then I've read that they're doing Far-Cry 4 already, and that its set in the Himalayas. So, I can't think of too many games I would want re-released on next-gen. Probably just GTA V.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Poonz

Bring on Last of Us, cmon please my ps3 died and I couldn't finish it. Or just Playstation Now whatever, I just want to play it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ooh wait GTA V would look really nice on next-gen stuff. Ah whatever just make new stuff.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Nodima

GTA V is the only one I'm really waiting with baited breath for, even The Last of Us stunned me as much as I thought it could, better textures or framerate wouldn't change how I look at that game.

But GTA V presents these randomly beautiful moments every time I fire the game up DESPITE the fact I'm playing it off PSN and therefore the pop-in is RIDICULOUS every few minutes (I have been mulling buying a physical copy just for that issue for months), the draw distance in general isn't as wild as I've seen in most recorded footage, textures are slightly blurrier at any notable rate of speed and certain scenarios online can cause extreme frame lag.

So if I could get the exact same game, no frills necessary at all, not even whatever DLC was dropped for free between the game's original release and this imaginary, probably never happen PS4 version, I would gladly pay $60 for it. $70, even.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a feeling a lot of these developers have moved on to new projects and would rather not split their time going back to making a port of their game. They're better off creating a truly "next gen" sequel or new IP. Still, if games like The Last of Us or GTAV gets ported over, I would've be against buying it on PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're coming.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I'd prefer new games on a new console. This isn't like the cool HD collections where you were getting three great, older games from a series like Sly/Jak/Ratchet at a low price.(and in the case of Colossus/Ico significantly superior.) These would be games they'd be selling for full price that many have bought pretty damn recently. I'd much rather see those companies put all of that effort into creating brand new games. I don't wan't to pay £45 for a game on the PS4 with a comparable version on Steam that has gone for £7.50.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thatdutchguy

Make new games, i wasn't waiting for ports when i bought a 360 or ps3.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gta V will probably get a port when the pc version comes out. Most of those games are on pc, so if you want the "next gen" experience for them it'll probably cost you 150-400 (depending) to upgrade your pc with a mid range card and possibly a new powersupply or ram if it's real outdated. If not it wouldn't be that much just to get a new decent graphics card and pop in there and get those games on sale for 10-30 bux.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VeggiesBro

They should just make new games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling a lot of these developers have moved on to new projects and would rather not split their time going back to making a port of their game. They're better off creating a truly "next gen" sequel or new IP. Still, if games like The Last of Us or GTAV gets ported over, I would've be against buying it on PS4.

I don't think the actual developers of the games would do the ports, but there are plenty of companies whose business is essentially porting games, and other developers who may want to pick up a quick few months work to keep busy during a dry spell.

I personally don't really care that much if there are ports or not, though there are a few I'd definitely pick up, but it just seems odd to me that nobody tried to fill the massive dry spell of the next gen consoles with them. Especially considering the similarities in the architecture between new consoles and PC (as opposed to trying to port a PC game to a PS3 for example.)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB

I was actually kind of hoping for it myself so that I had something to play on consoles, but the caveat would be that these port titles would be full-priced to near full-priced games I could just buy on PC for a fraction of the cost, so it's kind of moot.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

They're already out, on pc.