Where the heck did the new XCOM go to?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Ever since the reveal... last year, there has been literally nothing about this game since then and I am worried. I seriously do not want this game to die, it looks highly interesting to me personally. (I love the entire investigation type feel of games like the one the new XCOM would be.) 

The one thing I now want to know is if it is still being made. My main interest in this game stems from playing the first one on steam and loving it. (finally beat it to. dear goodness it is quite hard in the beginning... until you can control the aliens to do your bidding, then it is pretty much a cakewalk.) I am hyped for it, I cannot lie about that. But I can see why some old timers don't like the new look, but even then, is sounds more like complaining about advancement and rebirth of this franchise mostly, kinda like they never wanted it to have another sequal or something. 

I just hope the giant bomb crew can hear my prayers and bring in the new info from E3. I'm desperate on info for this game.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

It was delayed with Spec Ops to next year or next fiscal year or something like that. I imagine we'll see stuff at E3. Maybe PAX aswell.

Edit: Just looked at that news story Patrick wrote up again and the specific information they gave for X-COM was "Take-Two expecting to release that one before March 31, 2012."

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By JB16

Who said it's going to die? It's being made by 2k and it has the name of one of the greatest franchises of all time. Everybodies saying its practically guaranteed to be at  E3

jondavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jondavis
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By fjordson

It's already been confirmed to show up at E3 in some way, shape or form. I'm interested in it as well.  

Not everyone would agree with me, but I loved Marin's work on Bioshock 2. Hopefully they can bring out another quality game with XCOM.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@Fjordson said:
It's already been confirmed to show up at E3 in some way, shape or form. I'm interested in it as well.   Not everyone would agree with me, but I loved Marin's work on Bioshock 2. Hopefully they can bring out another quality game with XCOM.
In spite of my continued disappointment about this game not being a true X-Com sequel, I agree. I thought Bioshock 2 was far better than a lot of people gave it credit for being, and I can't wait to see what 2K Marin delivers with this title.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

I can confirm that, as of the end of February, the game continues to be in development. Met a dude who was working on it.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kelbear

I'm still interested in the game. I appreciate the attempts to bring the game into a different perspective. So long as they recognize the key elements that made X-COM great, I don't care how they present it. 

I loved how the game fired up the imagination to fill in the gaps. Those interception dogfights were just automated icons, but there were times I'd find myself holding my breath watching my fighters exchange volleys with a huge UFO en route for a base invasion. So much resource and investment on the line. 

Creeping through the awful darkness, never knowing who or what is watching you or what horrible fate is just waiting for you to spend the action points to turn around and stare into the mandibles of a Chrysalis. God, and those agonizingly long pauses after you hit end-turn, and you're just listening to all the creatures shuffling around in the dark, stalking you. 

Those soldiers had no backgrounds, but they had names, and it was very easy to create backgrounds for your grizzled survivors. Their actions in battle created a history. I'd imagine the drama when 2 long veterans since the very beginning of the game went into a space craft, and one of them was blasted unconscious. The suspense of trying to pull the downed squadmate away from overwhelming firepower. The scarring of being beaten back into a retreat, and the long recovery back at base while the other squadmates went back out into battle without their leader. Man, and urban combat in real-world cities. Even if it was just another mission, I felt that I could not fail urban assaults under any circumstance.  

It's hard, but I don't imagine that it's impossible for a first-person version to pull off at least a few of these aspects. I just really hope they won't just throw huge volume of alien cannonfodder at you, but instead release just a few incredibly deadly enemies in each mission.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I thought I read that they were redoing it in some way. I hope its nothing drastic, because the thought of this first person game where you must research the unknown enemy in this Art Deco time period with just a few allies at your side sounded and looked awesome. Hoping its not this huge change I'm gonna be sad about. 

I never played any of the original Xcom games, so I don't have that bitterness towards it. They could change the name for all I care, it doesn't matter, it looks amazing to me.