Which controller should I buy?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I have 2 Xbox One S and 2 Dualshock 4 controllers along with their respective consoles. I use one of the PS4 controllers on my Switch, and I use the rest with my PC so they're a bit bashed up. The thumb sticks have no grip, they all have some kind of drift and the PS4 controller keeps pressing R2 on its own which makes Tony Hawk impossible to play but that's another story.

Which new controller should I get for my PC? PS5 controller looks good, but it's expensive and wouldn't really use the haptics. Is the Xbox Series X much of an improvement over the Xbox One? I prefer the Xbox stick placement but both consoles generally feel good to use. Is it worth the price hike over an Xbox One controller?

I can't decide. Help me out. I'm too poor for an elite controller, otherwise I would probably get one of those.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Someone with hands-on experience with the Series controller feel free to chime in to talk about the ergonomics, but it looks like your choices are basically between micro USB with the older controllers, and USB C, a share button, and other physical adjustments with the newer controllers. And looking at all of this on Microsoft's store and Amazon, the prices are basically the same, give or take $10 or $15 and new and "renewed" conditions.

It looks like you might as well get a Series controller. Microsoft is selling black ones on sale for $50 at the time of this post.

sizzlerxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I like the new "Series" controller a lot (better grip, d-pad, and rumble), but it's an incremental improvement so I wouldn't pay more if a "One" is your preferred budget range.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shindig  Online

I'm not sure how reliable the DualSense is at the moment. They didn't come out the gates with good build quality.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bigsocrates  Online

I have an Xbox One X with an Xbox One X controller that I use on my treadmill every day and an Xbox Series X with a Series controller that I use for media and other gaming almost daily.

I switch between them seamlessly. They're that similar. There are some differences (the series controller has USB-C, the share button, and is slightly smaller with textured grips) but they're very minor.

I wouldn't really pay more for a Series controller, at least not much more. If you have small hands and the Xbox One controller is uncomfortable then maybe, but really there's no functional difference if you're comfortable with the Xbox One controller.

As for the PS5 controller...well...it is the first controller to ever give me serious hand pain. It isn't a problem for everyone, but you can see in that thread that it is for a lot of people.

If you're not going to be using the haptics or the adaptive trigger stuff then there is just no way I would pay $70 for a Dualsense.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dualsense could very well be the best controller I've ever used. It feels great and has a very satisfying weight. Also, pc games are beginning to support the haptic function. Asscreed Valhalla just updated to support it, for example.

The only downside, and it's a pretty big one, is that in less than 6 months of normal use the spring in the R2 trigger broke. I had to send it off to Sony for repair. So yeaaaah.... That sucks.

timoneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@alistercat: Overall there isn't much different between the two Xbox controllers. I really like the textured grips on the new Xbox Series controller and the rumble seems substantially more powerful. What I don't like is the clicky feel and sound on its D-pad. It functions just fine, but I prefer the old model for D-Pad stuff.

Honestly, it's not that big of an improvement. If you can get a cheap Xbox One model that has Bluetooth in it, go for one of those and I think you'll be happy. It's what I use for what little PC gaming I do.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the ridiculously clicky D-pad on the Series S/X controller is extremely distracting even with headphones on I can hear it and feel it when playing a 2D sidescroller, makes it an absolute no-go for any game where it's the primary movement input.

Because of that I am sticking with the DS4 because it works well for both 2D and 3D games.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gundato

The dualsense is AMAZING but also put me in the category of people who are noticing weird hand feels when I use it for too long (even in games without haptics). Not entirely sure what is going on there since the DS1-4 never caused that

Personally? My main gaming PC has an xbox series controller because I LOVE that thing. The clicky d-pad is a bit much but I can also consistently do DPs to the point that I put my fight stick in a closet. It really is a solid improvement as they incorporated most of the changes over the past gen (textured plastic to increase grip, an actually useable d-pad, etc) and I straight up did buy one (on sale) to replace my xbone controller and have zero regrets.

As for my living room "mostly for watching streaming services but occasionally video gaming" computer: I picked up an 8bitdo Sn30Pro Plus Two or whatever the new revision with the back buttons are and love it. I think I would rather just use another xbox controller but seeing as I have an xbox sitting right next to it in my entertainment center, being able to differentiate between systems when reaching in to my ottoman/controller box is nice.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as a ps5 owner i don't honestly feel that comfortable using the dual sense it makes my hands hurt after a while so i'm not going to recommend that. the series x controller looks like it has an improved d-pad but far as i know not much is different either way for native pc support it'd just go with that honestly.

Kunakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox 360.

The poeples pad.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the "new" generation, I vastly prefer the Series X controller, even though I generally don't like offset sticks. As far as the DualSense goes, I think it's a fairly large backwards step from the DualShock 4. It's got a weird bulgy shape that doesn't make a lot of sense and it's made out of an oddly slippery materials that make it hard to grip. I've also found it to have a pretty crappy battery life, which probably has a lot to do with the sheer amount of haptics it throws at you. Add to that some questionable build quality, and I'd go with an Xbox controller.

@bigsocrates@styx971: As far as the DualSense being uncomfortable to use, I've got two words: stick tape. I wrapped the DualSense up with that and it managed to add enough grip to stop it sliding around in my hand all the time. I still don't love it - the haptics and triggers are annoying - but I feel like I can use it without immediate carpal tunnel now.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sorry if this was answered and I missed it while skimming, but do the Series controllers still have history's worst shoulder buttons? LB and RB hurt my hands to use on Xbox One controllers, I hate rolling my fingers into them and I think they feel terrible to press individually as well and any game which requires holding those buttons is absolutely a nightmare. The Dualsense being more Xbox-like ergonomically is already turning me off but at least it has good shoulder buttons, but I'm trying to figure out in advance what the move is when my current DS4 inevitably bites the dust.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer xbox controllers form factor in my hands over Playstation, and have used them on my pc without owning an xbox for a decade. Personally. I got an elite, which I like the weight of. I have a ps4, and the controller is fine, but it's far from what I like. That said, I'm a giant, I'm 6'5" and have giant hands, so that is likely a factor.

I think an elite series 2 is worthy of the investment, but outside of that, an xbox one controller is absolutely my second choice. Or even a 360 wired, which I used for 9 years between 2008-2007 before it had any issue.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Sorry if this was answered and I missed it while skimming, but do the Series controllers still have history's worst shoulder buttons? LB and RB hurt my hands to use on Xbox One controllers, I hate rolling my fingers into them and I think they feel terrible to press individually as well and any game which requires holding those buttons is absolutely a nightmare. The Dualsense being more Xbox-like ergonomically is already turning me off but at least it has good shoulder buttons, but I'm trying to figure out in advance what the move is when my current DS4 inevitably bites the dust.

I have an Xbox One and Series controller right in front of me they're very similar. Something about the Series controller feels better in my hand, and it isn't just the vastly improved D-Pad, the whole thing feels better to hold, I just can't tell you what. The shoulder buttons are the same story as the rest of the controller - something is better, but they're still the same layout. They're slightly easier to push as well.

You may want to look into a Switch controller. I have one of those in front of me right now. They are very comfortable to hold, they feel good to play games with, and putting your entire finger on the bumper is a lot easier and feels more natural to do.

Speaking of "entire finger", do you try to put your entire finger on the Xbox One bumper? I stopped doing that a long time ago. Instead, try just moving sorta the middle part of your finger up to the bumper. Less finger movement, a lot easier to do in a flash, and a lot more comfortable to hold. I say this because if you do wind up using a Switch controller, you'll have a few major disadvantages - having to mess with drivers and getting Steam to make everything look like an Xbox controller is one of them. Another is that the Switch's triggers are just buttons, not analog triggers like the Xbox/Playstation controllers, so if any game needs analog triggers you might not be able to play it with a Switch controller.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_nubster said:

Speaking of "entire finger", do you try to put your entire finger on the Xbox One bumper? I stopped doing that a long time ago. Instead, try just moving sorta the middle part of your finger up to the bumper. Less finger movement, a lot easier to do in a flash, and a lot more comfortable to hold.

This is actually what I meant when I said "rolling my fingers up." I know the Official Guidebook ™ says to just shift the middle of your finger upwards into the crevice, but this is not what I've been doing since I was 2 years old and not what any other controller is designed to accommodate. I know it's technically easier to do than the other methods but I already don't love the weight of the Xbox One controller and I'm not about to relearn nearly 3 decades of controller usage. And in trying to use my entire finger to just press it as a normal button, the fulcrum of the LB/RB is so far towards the middle of the controller that it doesn't press well. So if that's the case too with the Series controller, that's a dealbreaker for me. Shrug.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd definitely suggest getting a current-gen controller from either platform; you will appreciate having a usb-c port for charging in the years to come. And if you wait a month or two, you can probably find one or both of them on sale at some point if you wanna save some money.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates@styx971: As far as the DualSense being uncomfortable to use, I've got two words: stick tape. I wrapped the DualSense up with that and it managed to add enough grip to stop it sliding around in my hand all the time. I still don't love it - the haptics and triggers are annoying - but I feel like I can use it without immediate carpal tunnel now.

thanks for the tip i don't think the sliding is the issue for me tho so much as the formfactor of it it feels a bit bigger than my xb1 controller and i think its just cause of that mixed with the offset sticks for the shape that my hand just doesn't like it i've had the same pains with nintendo handhelds that are too skinny so i just think its not great for my hand-size. i mean yes my hands get sweatier than other controls with this i feel like too but i can wipe that off well enough like decades ago. idk i get the whole motors for haptics in the triggers might need space but i feel like they just made a bad controller this go around which ds3 and ds4 felt perfect in my hand so this is just ...if i had to recommend something it wouldn't be this :/

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Subscryber

Going to throw my hat in with the people saying the DualSense is not recommended. When I first got it, it felt like an amazing controller, but using it for a couple of months, I have found it to be one of the only controllers that causes me to have weird pain in my index finger from hitting the shoulder button and triggers. I do not have small hands. It's also quite heavy, the adaptive triggers are little more than a gimmick, and the fact that the face buttons are shallow and tend to get "creaky" with just a small amount of use, where they rub against the space they're set in (I have experienced this with a launch controller, and a new black controller that I just bought and will be returning.)

I hope they redesign the controller or allow us to use the DS4 for PS5 games, because I don't need to be giving myself weird finger pains.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When you're a PC gamer, I recommend you to buy the Xbox controller.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got an Xbox Series X controller for £39.99 instead of £54.99 which feels like a good deal. Hopefully it won't wear out too fast.

millerj7687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For PC, the Series X is better than DualSense just for the fact that it works with no tweaking. As soon as you plug it in, or connect over Bluetooth it will just work. If you're patient, you can get it for far less than MSRP. I got mine from Amazon for $40, just wait for a deal.

Alternatively, you could get an 8bitdo Pro 2. I have a DualSense, Series X controller, and a switch pro controller but more often than not I'm reaching for the 8bitdo Pro 2. It has the best d-pad of all the current controllers and the app for setting macros or just remapping buttons is easy to use. I know you're talking about mainly PC use but, the Pro 2 also works seamlessly with the Switch so it has become my primary controller for both systems.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the dualsense. I’d grab another one to go as my primary PC controller if they weren’t so expensive.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Series X/S controller as it feels comfortable.

bizarrohash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The SX controller has a great d-pad and very satisfying textured grip. I prefer off-set sticks, so it's a given that I would like it more than the DS. But what surprised me is that I like it more than the Elite controllers. I have an Elite 1 and 2, and on both of them the shoulder buttons stopped working. There's no excuse for that given how much they cost. The SX controller is built differently and I don't foresee any shoulder button problems.

strijd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an xbox elite controller which ive used on my pc for a while, where the LB/RB buttons got fucked up from playing dark souls games. Seeing how those buttons didn't last as long as they should have, i have less faith in xbox controllers and am no longer brave enough to buy another xbox elite controller.

I tried a dualsense controller at a friends house who got really lucky and was able to buy one of the only 5-10 Playstation 5 consoles sold in all of Australia. I quite liked the feel of it and ordered my self one to use on my PC (which was super easy to get on amazon) Price wasnt an issue for me as I had already spent $200 on the Elite, the Dualsense was half of that. Also I can no longer use a dualshock 4 anymore. they feel so cheap in comparison and i had forgot how awkward the dualshock 4's shape is in general. So yeah count me as a fan of the new Dualsense controller. and hopefully I can buy a PS5 of my own in 2025 when stock becomes available.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kunakai said:

Xbox 360.

The poeples pad.

I would give my left testicle for an Xbox 360 controller with an Xbox One D-pad. The 360 controller was so close to perfection...all they had to do was slap a proper D-pad on it once Nintendo's patent on that design expired, but some genius at Microsoft thought it would be a good idea to completely redesign the controller and, in the process, they ruined both the triggers and the bumpers, while also making the wired connection a point of failure.

As it stands, I kinda don't especially love any of the currently on the market controllers. I settle for the Dualshock 4. The D-pad isn't amazing, but it's acceptable. The triggers still aren't on par with the 360 controller, but their vastly better than the Dualshock 3 and still marginally better than the new Xbox controllers, so they're fine. Similarly, the bumpers still aren't perfect - they're a bit squishy for my liking - but they're maybe the best available right now. And, while the sticks still feel inferior to any of the Xbox controllers, both in terms of size and tension, they're good enough, which is perfectly fine considering everything else the controller has going for it over the alternatives.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox series controller is the best controller I've ever held, better than my origin elite controller

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cursethesemetalhands: I bought a cheap xbox 360 clone for £16.10 - wired of course. Works great. Couldn't justify huge money on Series controller, plus I hate wireless as it always goes weird in windows for one reason or another, plus the battery cost (or extra expense of buying rechargeable accessory).

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between the current default controls i would go Series X over Dualsense every time. Put me in the camp that gets the wierd joint tingling after extended use.

Still nothing compares to the Xbox Elite 2, but the price is steeeeeep. But it feels the right weight, its comfortable as all hell.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornfed40: Yeah the elite is 3.5x the amount I paid for the series X controller last week, but it has been great so far.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: I dont expect you to have many issues with the Series at all, its a great controller! If they added the paddles to it it would probably be my favorite ever

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renegade1973: Do you recall the brand (if it had one)? I haven't had much luck with third party controllers, and I feel like I've tried them all: PowerA, PDP, EasySMX, and a handful of no-name Chinese knockoffs. They all either quickly developed stick drift or didn't have a proper/smooth 360-degree axis (the latter being really common with the Chinese clones). Another gold star for the official 360 controller: after over 5 years of pretty regular use, to the point the rubberized tip was starting to wear down to the stick, mine didn't develop stick drift until it vibrated itself off an end table onto a hardwood floor during a Halo: Reach cutscene. Even then, it was pretty minimal and I was able to use the controller for another three years before it became such an issue I had to retire it. I don't know if that was the norm, but it certainly impressed the hell out of me and I kick myself for not buying half a dozen extras before all the inferior fakes flooded the market.

renegade1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cursethesemetalhands: it was a Zexrow Xbox 360 Wired Controller, random knock off. So far so good but I've only had it a week or so. I'll let you know if it dies in like 2 months. Amazon reviews are pretty good though so fingers crossed. NB I only replaced my Original Xbox 360 controller because it developed an annoying issue where it would very frequently switch to player 2, which is an issue in some games I play, and my son plays a lot of fortnite which does not handle that switch at all. Only a full PC reboot puts it back to player 1.