Which Do You Prefer? One Long Blog Post or Several Shorter Posts

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

thatpinguino  Staff

Poll Which Do You Prefer? One Long Blog Post or Several Shorter Posts (7 votes)

One Long, Complete Post 29%
Several Shorter Posts 71%

If someone is writing a blog about a big topic that could require 5 or more pages to adequately address (assuming that the length is warranted and that the content is interesting), would you prefer the blog to be split up into several smaller, more approachable posts posted a few days apart? Or would you rather have one complete article that is perhaps more intimidating, but is a complete work in and of itself?

I honestly feel like it depends on the topic and the length, but I don't think a wall of text really plays on this site even if it is broken up with images and links.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Doesn't it depend on the topic? I write long-ass blogs, but they have to be in one piece, especially when one part of the blog turns out to be much longer than the other.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thatpinguino  Staff

@video_game_king: I agree and I think your blogs are a great example of how to break up longer posts to make a blog less intimidating. But if you were writing solely on one topic for 5-10 pages I wonder if multiple sections broken up across multiple blogs would be easier to read than one giant, comprehensive article.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

It really depends on the material. If it's a larger subject that is easily divided into smaller, self-contained pieces that may help inform one another but not rely on one another to form a conclusion, then split it up. If it's a bigger-picture piece that has to be taken in as a whole to make sense, then keep it together but format it intelligently.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@thatpinguino:

To be fair, some of my blogs actually are at least 5 pages when I copy/paste them into Word.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Several smaller ones. If its a single really long one, then if i get a phonecall in the middle of reading it or something i wont finish it unless it REALLY grabbed my attention. Smaller ones are easier to consume and come back to.

But yeah, formatting is extremely important. Its why i dont blog, I'm awful at formatting, plus i'm not great at spelling and grammar. People would nitpick the shit out of it. So meh.