Which Of These Games Should I Check Out?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well it's that time again. The time of the year where it's getting close to the end and I decide I should play some games that came out somewhat recently. But of course my crippling indecision means I can't decide which games I should check out. That's where you guys come in. Which of these games do you think I should check out and why?

Bioshock: The Collection - I played the first Bioshock when it came out and absolutely loved it and I also really like Infinite. I've never played the second one or any of the DLC so I thought it could be cool to it out all at once.

Destiny: Rise of Iron - I do like Destiny but I haven't actually played it for a real long time. Not since Taken King I think. I've also struggled with teaming up in the past and have yet to do any of the Raids. Is there enough solo player stuff in Rise of Iron to make it worth it?

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I played Human Revolutions a lot when it came out and my love for it was probably amplified because of my love for cyberpunk but a lot of stuff I have seen written about Mankind Divided seems to be along the lines of "Meh it's ok. Could have been better" So I'm not sure about getting this yet. There are a few games I intend to get after the new year when they are cheaper like Dishonored 2 and Watch_Dogs 2 and this might be on that list.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - This is pretty high on my list. I really liked the first game (reboot) and people seem to think it's pretty good as well as the DLC. Also I hear there is a lot more eh tomb raiding in this one?

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been working through the Bioshock games recently. They released with some serious issues on the PC, but those have pretty much all been solved at this point. I was surprised at how well those older games hold up, I like you never played 2 so am looking forward to getting to that one when I finish 1.

I REALLY enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider. I feel it is a great evolution of the previous game, with an interesting story, and some cool set piece moments. The tombs are better than the previous game, and some of them were genuinely challenging to work out for me.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Bioshock: The Collection - I would say Deus Ex or Tomb Raider over this, but if you really want to play Bioshock again go for it. Bioshock 2's story isn't as good but the combat was better than the first, in my opinion.

Destiny: Rise of Iron - NOPE

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I played through the game and did all the side missions. I enjoyed the game; it is just "another" Deus Ex game in the vein of the last one but it is still fun.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I got this for free on PC when I replaced my video card earlier in the year. I liked what I played. Basically the same as the last one only with more tombs to explore.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Rise of the Tomb Raider, then Minerva's Den.

You can safely skip most of Bioshock 2 after that.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I just love that setting. But maybe wait for a definitive edition or something since there's bound to be a ton of DLC.

I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider but it wasnt much of an evolution from the last game. Even less so than Deus Ex. (granted it's been longer for that game)

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock 2 is the best game in that list so strangely enough I vote the Bioshock collection.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turns out Bioshock collection is currently on sale right now...

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jonny_anonymous: I want to play through 1 in the colletion some time because it's suppose to have developer commentary. I think that would be a cool way to play through it again.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jonny_anonymous: eliminate Destiny from the list. I'm not saying this because I think it's a bad game (quite the opposite), BUT the best times in Destiny are had in group. If you don't have a reliable pool of people to Strike/Raid with then I can't recommend getting it.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My favourite game of that list was the new Tomb Raider so that would be my vote for you.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

BioShock The Collection

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Bioshock 2 is probably the best game on that list. I wouldn't recommend playing 1 and then jumping straight into 2, however, as the two games are incredibly similar. Minerva's Den is also an absolute must.

I like Destiny. I bought the vanilla version on PS3 for like $15 and then a month later, bought The Taken King on Xbox One for full price. I enjoyed both versions a lot. But, as I mentioned in a different recent thread, I'm a crazy person. If you're looking for excellent shooting mechanics and a unique and interesting art style and you have a group of friends to play with and you've never played Destiny before, sure, go for it, but at this point I'm going to recommend waiting for Destiny 2.

I don't think Deus Ex Mankind Divided is a bad game but it's certainly not as good as Human Revolution and is extremely skippable, unless the inevitable sequel relies on players having knowledge of MD and winds up being far superior.

I didn't like Rise of the Tomb Raider that much when I played the Xbox One version when it released. However, part of that was my fault. I spent hours trying to go through all of the icon barf on the game's map and I really don't recommend playing it that way. Also worth mentioning that I played 2013 Tomb Raider on PC and I really liked that one and I think the rather shaky framerate of the Xbox One version of Rise really hurt my overall enjoyment of Rise of the Tomb Raider. I will probably play this game again on PC one day and re-evaluate my opinion of it. Many other people enjoyed it, though, so if you don't want to play a game as old as Bioshock 2, then this is probably your next best bet.

All of that said, there were quite a few good games release this year, plus Dishonored 2 just came out, plus Final Fantasy XV just came out. The list you've given us consists of games that are mostly good-not-great and a compilation of old games that are all great - is there anything else from this year that you haven't played?

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@ivdamke: as a fellow member of the Bioshock 2 cult, I have to agree.

dikarddeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If you enjoyed Human Revolution, definitely play Mankind Divided. Definitely.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is also great. You really can't go wrong with either, imo.