Which OLED TV should I get?

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By Maedhros925

Poll Which OLED TV should I get? (40 votes)

Sony Bravia A90J 8%
LG C1/G1 88%
Other 5%

My annual bonus came in higher than I expected. Which top end TV should I get for my PS5?

I'm guessing this gets asked often, but the search tools on this site aren't great.

• 
Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have the C1 and its been great, but both are probably fine. I don't know if Sony ever released the firmware update to include VRR so you might want to look into that. I haven't really been paying attention to the 2022 tv's, so I don't know if there are better/cheaper models coming out this year. Even if you still want a 2021 model, they will probably get a price drop once the '22's get released.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By AV_Gamer
@hippie_genocide said:

I have the C1 and its been great, but both are probably fine. I don't know if Sony ever released the firmware update to include VRR so you might want to look into that. I haven't really been paying attention to the 2022 tv's, so I don't know if there are better/cheaper models coming out this year. Even if you still want a 2021 model, they will probably get a price drop once the '22's get released.

They did, but according to Vincent Teoh of HDTV Test channel on Youtube, it was poorly implemented with lots of lag issues and needs updates. This was a couple of months ago, however, so those updates could have happened already.

@maedhros I also second the C1, simply because of the track record and reputation of LG OLED televisions. They seem to get a little better every year with hardly any set backs. There 120Hz panel, HDMI 2.1, and VRR are well implemented with no serious performance issues. Which is why some Gamers get them as PC Monitors. If you do go with LG, don't make the mistake and get the A1. It's less expensive and has most of the C1's features, but 2.0 HDMI, 60Hz panel, and no VRR.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

VRR is becoming an increasingly sought after option so I’d go with the LG.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

C1 all day. With Sony you're paying more for higher brightness and maybe bit more accurate colors but that's splitting hairs. If you really must have higher brightness then go for the LG G1. You can't beat LG's track record with VRR and HDMI 2.1 in all of their HDMI ports. Those features are essential for gaming and the software for setting optimizations have only gotten better with the C1 that I barely had to fuss with any settings like I did with the CX.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

RTings.com is where you look. While advice here is one tool in a tool-box, you should always check a repuatble review site. A good review breaks down sizes, use cases, and features better. Litterlly there are brands of TV where if you buy the 55", 65", 80" you are fine, but the 48" and 100" is totally different..different screen, different CPU, etc.

The handful of people here will never cover all the real world use cases people might have, so check out a reputable review site like Rtings.com.

HurricaneJas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HurricaneJas

I'd definitely go with the C1, but I'd also recommend checking out HDTVTest on Youtube. You can get lots of expert knowledge of TVs from there - https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest

LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

really wish LG or Samsung did a 40-43in with the hdmi 2.1

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/c/hdtvtest

This guy's YT channel is invaluable. IIRC, he's professional calibrator who know damn near everything regarding HD TVs and displays.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t have either of the two you listed, but rather a LG CX55 and I’ve been very happy with it. Only complaint is it’s weird insistence to use my remote like a mouse instead of navigating with the buttons, but that is quick to adjust. I assume the interface is the same of similar for a C1.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By AV_Gamer

Speaking of HDTV Test, Vincent just posted a video claiming Sony's latest firmware update fixed the VRR issues. So there you go. Now you really can choose the Sony OLED over the LG if you want to.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thanks everyone who took the time to respond! I checked the RT site, which had a wealth of information, good rec. Went with the C1 tonight. Seemed the best package for the price.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Bought the C1 back in August and played through The Ascent on it. Blew my goddamn mind seeing true blacks for the first and running at 120hz with G-sync. I was playing on a X900f before, which is a fantastic looking TV, but even then the features of HDMI 2.1 and switching to OLED was a complete game changer. You're gonna love it.

I will say though, the screen is paper thin and it's anxiety inducing setting the damn thing up because of how delicate it feels. Definitely have another person help you set it up, I did it alone but I don't recommend it.

MikoDemua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The picture quality and performance are top-notch. As for Sony, I heard they might have released a firmware update to include VRR (Variable Refresh Rate). So if that feature is important to you, it's worth looking into. Regarding the 2022 models, I haven't been keeping up with the latest news, but there's a chance that newer and possibly cheaper options are coming out this year. However, even if you decide on a 2021 model, keep in mind that they usually get price drops when the newer ones hit the market.