Which Was Better? Resident Evil 2 Or Resident Evil 3?

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorDanger99

so i have a couple extra dollars and was thinking of downloading one of these for my vita. RE 2 is probly one of my favorite games of all time.ive played and beaten it countless times since it's release. Now ive played RE 3 a number of times but never with the same vigor as RE 2. also it's been a number of years since ive played RE 3 as opposed to RE 2 which i just finished a few months back on my N64.

So i figured id come here to the fantastic Giant Bomb community and ask you folks which game you prefered and which one you think i should get.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AuthenticM

I prefer 3, but most people will answer 2, as the jump between the first game and the second was far bigger than that between the second and third. It's a similar situation to that of people prefering THPS3 over 4, even though the latter game is technically better. The reason I like 3 better is because there's just more to it. More enemies, more diversified areas, more choices (as opposed to none), more endings, and Nemesis. The Mercenaries mini-game is also lots better than the one in 2 (don't remember the name). You also play as Jill Valentine.

My advice: buy both. If you can only get one though, my choice is 3.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

RE2 for sure. The dual campaigns and various scenarios were awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

2 is the high point for RE survival horror era. 3 is a nice little expansion, but its not 2.

And really, Code Veronica should be considered the 3rd _main_ RE game. And RE3 shouldn't have had the number, it should've been Nemesis or Last Escape.

punisherkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By punisherkaos

I pick 2 just cause I have better memories of it and I like the characters more. But u really can't go wrong with either

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geirr

RE2 is the best in my memory but it looks like garbage by today's standards.

I'd love to go back and look at the Gamecube remakes; they probably don't have shitty polygon jitter!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By AuthenticM

@geirr: They weren't remakes, but ports. Though if I remember correctly, Capcom added the 180 turn from RE3 to RE2. That alone makes it the best version.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Rafaelfc

Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil game.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By geirr

@AuthenticM said:

@geirr: They weren't remakes, but ports. Though if I remember correctly, Capcom added the 180 turn from RE3 to RE2. That alone makes it the best version.

That's true, the remake Gamecube had was the original and the "prequel" Resident Evil 0. RE2 & RE3 got nothing fancy :C

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#10  Edited By MightyDuck

Both are great games. However, I'm more partial to Resident Evil 2.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By JTB123

Resident Evil 2, still need to find a gamecube copy of that one for my collection.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By icicle7x3

Resident Evil 3 is not only the best Resident Evil game, it is one of the best games ever. Nemesis adds a terrifying factor that never lets you drop your guard and relax, it is constantly after you, can chase you through doors, and I loved and feared that. Adding onto that, the different choices you can make throughout game, the ammo creation system, Brain Suckers and Hunter Gammas, the 180 turn, the ability to run up and down stairs freely, and Barry Fucking Burton, this game had it all.

Flubagalub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Flubagalub

Well since you've played RE2 so many times already, I think you would be better off going with 3. That being said, I personally prefer the second game. It's a longer game, with its two campaigns, and has better monsters and scares, especially with the Tyrant from part two.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Resident Evil 2, no question.

3 was also fantastic, and Nemesis is a memorable antagonist, but for sheer scope you have to go with 2.

In fact I've just ordered copies of both for the Gamecube off of eBay. They'll go great with my copy of 2 on the N64 (no joke, that port is bloody impressive.)

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

3, I just loved that nemesis could turn up whenever and made you run the fuck away. Played it on PSP not long ago.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@Brodehouse said:

2 is the high point for RE survival horror era. 3 is a nice little expansion, but its not 2. And really, Code Veronica should be considered the 3rd _main_ RE game. And RE3 shouldn't have had the number, it should've been Nemesis or Last Escape.

They were apparently developed concurrently, which is why RE3 added stuff like being able to manually walk up/down stairs yet Veronica X reverted back to requiring a button press (or having to wait until that zombie reaches the top...). But yes, Veronica is definitely a direct-sequel to 2 whereas RE3 is more or less just there to conclude some loose ends.

Oh, and RE2 by a mile long. The best RE game with the remake only just in second place.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee

@AuthenticM said:

Unfortunately no, they didn't. They just smoothed out the graphics, increased the resolution, and added in the unlockable Battle Mode that wasn't in the original PS1 version.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

I can remember tons about what happened in 2, but I'm really hazy on the back half of 3. I know I enjoyed it though. So Resident Evil 2.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DoctorDanger99

i think ill just get RE 2. i swear. i now have RE2,FF8,MGS2,MGS3 and MVC3 all for my vita. if you had told me that 10 years ago i would have shit myself in excitement.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@GunstarRed: im the same way.ive played RE 3 five or six times but that was years ago. i usually play RE 2 atleast once a year.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By geirr

@Yummylee said:

@AuthenticM said:

Unfortunately no, they didn't. They just smoothed out the graphics, increased the resolution, and added in the unlockable Battle Mode that wasn't in the original PS1 version.

RE1 remake looked pretty cool though!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yummylee

@geirr said:

@Yummylee said:

@AuthenticM said:

RE1 remake looked pretty cool though!

Oh, yeah, remake is fucking fantastic. And it was actually a scary Resident Evil game! But I was just referring to the RE2 port in my first reply.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoctorDanger99

@Yummylee: while i strongly belive that resident evil has never been truly about horror and allways leaned to the action and suspense side, the REmake is straight up scary,no doubt.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By Sackmanjones

Re2 for sure.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

On a raw mechanical level, the puzzles in RE3 aren't nearly as clever and are a bit more random in what items you need to use where. Also ammo conservation is pretty much unnecessary because you can create like a billion freeze rounds. Nemesis is still really terrifying though, and the addition of the 180 turn is super useful. I just think it's hard to top RE2, as that game is easily the best of the PS1 trio. Still like REmake the most though.