Why do shows do mid season finales?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

I've started to wonder about it. Breaking Bad and Walking Dead come to mind.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Clonedzero

easier to produce that way.

but yes its annoying as hell.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

I imagine it gives them more time which could lead to better quality episodes. Bums me out though. I could be totally wrong.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ThePickle

Breaking Bad is a case where Vince Gilligan (the show creator) wanted the finale season to be 16 episodes, but AMC was only willing to do 10 or something. So they split it into two half-seasons.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By haggis

Shows have gone on hiatus from December through January for a very long time, in part due to the holidays and lower television viewership (ie., lower ratings and thus lower ad revenues). In the last decade, producers and writers realized that they often lost viewership when shows came back on in the new year because people had lost the thread of the show. With a mid-season cliffhanger, it gave viewers a story beat that stuck in their head and encouraged them to seek out the show when it comes back on in February.

It makes perfect sense.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wjb

I think last year they timed it when the last episode of The Walking Dead was shown, the first episode of season five of Mad Men was the following week. It made similar sense with Breaking Bad because its finale wouldn't overlap with the premiere of The Walking Dead. Cable channels like to space their hit shows so they have someone watchable all year long.

Besides, no new television is on during the holidays, and in America, January is full of Bowl games and NFL playoffs on the weekend. Might as well wait until after the Super Bowl.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeanCoughing

They do it to kill the momentum of an otherwise great season, or i guess that's just the unintended result. For AMC I always figured it was due to the rest of their shows (besides breaking bad and the walking dead) being kinda bad so they hold over the next half into the next year for ratings purposes.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sinusoidal

Money, what else? More people tune into finales.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

@ThePickle said:

Breaking Bad is a case where Vince Gilligan (the show creator) wanted the finale season to be 16 episodes, but AMC was only willing to do 10 or something. So they split it into two half-seasons.

Really? I thought it was an issue of Brian Cranston only being contracted for 5 years. I assumed they filmed all of season 5 in one shot, but only aired half at a time. This way they can split dvd/bluray sales, but also technically get a 6th season while still sticking to the 5 year contract

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By williamhenry

@MildMolasses said:

@ThePickle said:

Really? I thought it was an issue of Brian Cranston only being contracted for 5 years. I assumed they filmed all of season 5 in one shot, but only aired half at a time. This way they can split dvd/bluray sales, but also technically get a 6th season while still sticking to the 5 year contract

I forget the exact details, but I remember the creators wanting to end the show earlier than AMC. So they agreed to produce two shorter than usual seasons to get a few more episodes.