Why no love for Mojang at PAX?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By TheAdmin

I'm wondering why it didn't seem to come up in either the live podcast or the most recent post-PAX podcast that Mojang (Notch's comapny) had a new build of Minecraft, Scrolls, and a new game, Cobalt on the floor. None of the GB crew seemed to mention or care about any of that. I know they're not huge Minecraft players - but Cobalt and Scrolls looks pretty cool - especially since Jerry from Penny Arcade is doing the writing for scrolls.

I just wish they had given Notch an interview and some time on his games.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

@TheAdmin: I'm guessing that stuff was pretty busy! But you're right, GB doesn't really seem to do the whole minecraft thing!

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By willin
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

Too bad, I'd love to see more of Scrolls.

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By thespartandon

I think the whole 'Notch' fever has passed.

Personally, I'm not really interested to hearing about Notch's next game. To see Notch go from a really unique concept like 'Minecraft' to a 'card battling RPG' game, it's hard to get excited. I didn't even know he was making a third game called 'Cobalt'.

But Giant Bomb has never really shown any love to 'Mojang', so it's not exactly surprising that they're continuing to not show love to him. I doubt it's anything personal, besides Mojang has already gotten a shit load of praise from Press and Consumers alike. It's not like Giant Bomb don't care about Indie developers, just look at the PAX10 videos and their video series on 'Bastion'.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Buscemi
@TheSpartanDon: Well, he's not doing Cobalt. Mojang has taken an indie developer under it's wing and are housing them at Mojang, so that they can make their game.
superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By superfriend

There´s still some Pax stuff coming up, right? Maybe they´ve yet to upload another 1 or 2 interviews.. I could be wrong though.. didn´t listen to this weeks podcast at all. busy busy!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard
@TheSpartanDon said:

Personally, I'm not really interested to hearing about Notch's next game. To see Notch go from a really unique concept like 'Minecraft' to a 'card battling RPG' game, it's hard to get excited. I didn't even know he was making a third game called 'Cobalt'.

He's not, his company is just working with the developers. Basically when he set up Mojang he always wanted to work alongside other Indie devs to help get great games made, which is why he's helping this other studio (whose name escapes me) work on Cobalt. Also, Jens - one of the dudes who works for Mojang now - used to work at this other dev, which is why they picked it up. It still looks cool. 

I also think you're wrong about "Notch Fever," partly because it never existed.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By FunExplosions
@Titus said:
@TheSpartanDon: Well, he's not doing Cobalt. Mojang has taken an indie developer under it's wing and are housing them at Mojang, so that they can make their game.
Not quite the whole story. Cobalt's team is small, and Mojang has definitely expressed interest in hiring on third party game developers, but the main reason they were brought onto Mojang is because of Jeb's (Jens Bergensten's) involvement on the game. Jens has been working with Notch on Minecraft for a long time, now. The musician for Cobalt is also making music for Scrolls.

@TheSpartanDon: Cobalt is pretty sick. Anyone that follows indie games at all has already heard of the game. 

@TheSpartanDon said:

To see Notch go from a really unique concept like 'Minecraft' to a 'card battling RPG' game, it's hard to get excited.

Well, Notch didn't come up with the idea for Minecraft. He took the idea from Infiniminer, a really janky game, and just made it a whole lot better. Also, the dude's rich; he's likely just making the game that he's wanted to make for awhile now, which is a really hard place to get to be at in the indie dev world. He knows the game isn't for a lot of people; he just wants to make his game good for those that will enjoy it.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

because PC

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers