Will IOS Games Eventually Kill The Hardcore And AAA Games

ArcHTecHGuY79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArcHTecHGuY79

With apple just announcing the mini and the next gen ipad already and all there success as a company it sure seems like just maybe those AAA/Hardcore games we like will go away. Do you think any of this will come true

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

I don't know anybody who plays those things, who was actually an avid gamer beforehand. They seem to be an entirely different market.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By morningstar

Two different markets. So no, I don't think proper games will go away.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

With apple just announcing the mini and the next gen ipad already and all there success as a company it sure seems like just maybe those AAA/Hardcore games we like will go away. Do you think any of this will come true

No. Also go look at Zynga. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

No. That's friggin' stupid.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IBurningStar

No. Different audiences, different markets.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

No, it's not an "either/or" proposition.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By hanktherapper

No, handhelds have been around for decades and it still hasn't killed traditional consoles.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By colourful_hippie

lol

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beepmachine

Books.

(Still exist)

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Fearbeard

If Apple included some sort of controller peripheral with the iphone then it could kill the dedicated handheld market, but hardcore games will always be around.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FlarePhoenix

People have been predicting the second demise of gaming ever since the Playstation first came out (possibly even before that). Casual and Phone-based games aren't going to cause "hardcore" gaming to completely disappear, but what it is probably going to do is cause it to change. It's easy to forget what a lot of people consider to be "hardcore" games wasn't always the prevalent force in gaming. It's kind of ironic how a lot of people are bemoaning gaming getting overrun by a lot of "outsiders" when a lot of them where once "outsiders" having been heralded in by the Playstation to a community largely made up of nerds and geeks who obsessed almost exclusively over video games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

Will monkeys fly out of my butt?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Nope, they'll exist side to side.

I think the news about Zynga does go to show we've exaggerated the potential of casual social network gaming though. At the very least, we rushed it.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By brainwins

Did handhelds kill consoles or "hardcore" gamers? No.

Have you played for more than an hour on an iPad?

I think we are safe...

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By landon

Two completely different kinds of games.

ArcHTecHGuY79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArcHTecHGuY79

then why is there always someone posting about the end of hardcore games including a 6 or 7 page thread on neogaf and some developers saying the same thing. Its just constant all the time.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

then why is there always someone posting about the end of hardcore games including a 6 or 7 page thread on neogaf and some developers saying the same thing. Its just constant all the time.

Thats Neogaf and devs who make most of their money on IOS. Show me someone from Blizzard saying that. 
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch3burashka

Whenever people ask questions about absolutes, I like to remind them that almost every action/decision/anything ends in compromise. Unless something REALLY fucked up happens, everything ever will compromise/adjust to its new environment accordingly.

What I mean to say is no, they won't "kill" AAA games. It's not like casual gamers can physically take up the space hardcore gamers did before and prevent them from buying AAA games.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Dylabaloo

@ArcHTecHGuY79: No. However they have, and will drastically affect the future of handheld consoles.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Genkkaku

Nope.. As long as there is an audience those games will get made..

@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

opinions..
opinions..
Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awesomeusername

@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

Because they're like you. Gullible buffoons.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SSully

@ArcHTecHGuY79 said:

Because people have opinions, and have strong ones about things that affect them. So when you have an iOS developer telling you how they are leading the future of games, its as valid as a developer saying how a game can only be done the PS3.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laserbolts

No man why would anyone think that?

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By falconpunch

not until they get a good controler

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nope, dev's just have to start making quality products without all the flashy nonsense. I mean, if IOS and indie games (or Arcade/etc) are so popular and often high quality, what's stopping them from investing in those type of games instead of Modern Warshooter: Call of Money?

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rollingzeppelin

As long as there is profit to be had in hardcore game development, they will continue to be made.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Nah, the iOS/Mobile platform caters to an entirely different demographic. Hell, they haven't even been able to knock off dedicated handhelds (thank goodness) in many markets so it's an even further farcry from traditional outlets.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By frankfartmouth

Without tactile controls mobile gaming will not take much of a bite out of the traditional handheld market. Touch screen and motion controls are very limiting and only work well for a few types of dumb, monotonous games.

The only use I've found for any of those games is to pass a few minutes while I'm taking a crap in an airport. That type of thing. Even then I'd rather just look at my email or listen to the news.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kindgineer

Why is it that everyone (specifically those like the OP) has to jump to absolutes so quickly? Every time something new comes out, it's either the greatest thing of all time or the end of it all. Can Apple just release a product without everyone thinking that they are revolutionizing the market again?

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Nope, dev's just have to start making quality products without all the flashy nonsense. I mean, if IOS and indie games (or Arcade/etc) are so popular and often high quality, what's stopping them from investing in those type of games instead of Modern Warshooter: Call of Money?

Even though MW3 didn't catch me, I can't say I've experienced something on XBLA/PSN/Indie that compares in scale or magnitude. Not to say that I don't agree that developers need to stop pouring money into every glossy polygon, but I honestly cannot say I would've enjoyed the Mass Effect trilogy as much if they didn't spend mass amounts of money on VO's, graphics, and etc.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By me3639

Facebook and twitter dropped from Xbox live, what do you think?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aetheldod

Nope .... even if they took all the money , people who like the games we like will make them out of fandom (like the modders do) so I think we are pretty safe ... downscaling maybe , but not dissappearing

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE

Modern Warfare 3 made around 5 billion in revenue in 2011.

Angry Birds made around 100 million in revenue in 2011. This includes the massive merchandising push.

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure you've got your answer right there.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#36  Edited By Little_Socrates

Of course not, but I've probably spent equivalent amounts of time playing games on consoles/handhelds/PC and my iPhone. If anything, I've probably spent more time on the iPhone. Only a couple of real stand-outs on iOS this year, but a lot of really great games overall.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By shotaro

The AAA titles and the iOS demographics are totally different.

It's like saying Justin Bieber is going to kill rock music - iOS and Zynga have the same demographic and Zynga are getting buttfucked by iOS/mobile games - the AAA titles still sell a million units without breaking a sweat and will continue to do so because they're not aiming for the folks who don't want a home console, they're aiming for folks who want the experience of gaming on a TV at home, not on a train.

The only way they could be a threat is if they continue to over-price and under-tech consoles. Neither the 360 nor the PS3 were much more advanced than PCs at their release and both cost more than an average off the shelf PC would be nowadays. A PS4 or Xbox 3 will need to be either super-powerful or extremely reasonably priced to sell as much as the previous generation. It's a huge factor in the sales of the Wii and it'll be interesting to see if that strategy pays off again with the WiiU.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Anund

Yeah, they will, in the same way that mopeds have completely killed cars.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

No if anything I hope they make the big game companys lower their prices like 40 dollars for a new game, just wonder how many more people would buy the game if its 40 bucks.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ghostiet

Yes, just like Zynga did.

mgray5159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mgray5159

Those games have the worst controls and are way too simple. If that is all I have in the world to play then kill me. I think hard core games are fine but companies need to stop making decisions on the money they will make and more on making quality games,