Windows is rolling out an update to fix performance issues in games.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Or so it appears!

How significant this is depends on what (if any) issues you've experienced lately while trying to play games on Windows 10. In the wake of Microsoft's big April update for Windows 10 many users began reporting problems (low framerates, stuttering, etc.) while playing games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla (pictured above) or Call of Duty: Warzone on a variety of hardware configurations, including PCs with both AMD and Nvidia components.

Microsoft quickly fixed a number of Windows 10 game-killing bugs with an emergency rollback, but a number of known issues (including performance problems while using Windows 10's Game Mode, designed to improve performance) have persisted.

The optional Windows 10 update Microsoft just rolled out includes a number of fixes for those issues

Here are some of the patch notes:

Highlights

• Updates an issue that prevents gaming services from opening certain games for desktop users.
  • Updates an issue that prevents you from entering text using the Input Method Editor (IME). This might occur, for example, after startup if you have set the power options to shut down a laptop by closing its lid.
  • Updates an issue that plays the sound for selecting something in a game loudly when you press the trigger button on a game controller.
  • Updates an issue that prevents power plans and Game Mode from working as expected. This results in lower frame rates and reduced performance while gaming.
  • Updates an issue that fails to detect that you are connected to the internet after you connect to a virtual private network (VPN).

I haven't fooled around with this too much but I did nab the update - unfortunately I uninstalled Valhalla recently so I can't quite pop in there and check it out, but maybe I'll see if I notice anything different in Doom Eternal tonight.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I hope it fixes the issue where Xbox Game Services starts twice on boot and stops me from being able to click on any desktop icons until I go into Task Manager and close BOTH services, after which all of the icons on my desktop blink and return to normal and then everything works perfectly well.