With Patrick gone, does 8-4 still have a home here?

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's probably one of my favorite podcasts and I always come here to listen to and comment on it. I'm really hoping it will still be part of the site.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why wouldn't it?

NachoBizNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was just wondering about this yesterday. I hope GB continues to host it.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really listened to it, but was it only here because of Patrick ?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AMyggen

Kotaku doesn't do anything audio/visual, so it wouldn't go there. The 8-4 guys know Jeff and Brad, not just Patrick, from the old days of gaming journalism. I highly doubt it's not going anywhere.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bargainben

I don't think Mark being a fellow 1up refugee played the biggest part in them getting the gig here.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm pretty sure the two are completely unrelated - although I have to admit I've never listened or even browsed through the comments of those 8-4 podcasts and their presence on the site, while not unwanted, continues to baffle me.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The reason it's here is because 1Up imploded. This place hasn't imploded, so I don't see it going away.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to it regularly so I hope not. I don't see why it would be pulled from the site though, it's not like Patrick was the only one here that knew the 8-4 guys. I mean:

That was 2008.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AMyggen

@villainy: Yeah, they all know each other from the 8-4 guys' time in gaming journalism (Mark is also a big fan of GB and listens to the Bombcast).

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wjb

Mark and John have made E3 and GDC appearances at Giant Bomb.

It wasn't like everyone was close friends anyway (I don't think); Patrick knew Mark from 1up. I think John has been in Japan for a while, though.

Regardless, I'll continue listening to the podcast, because it's interesting to hear about video game life in Japan.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the hosting costs of the 8-4 podcast are pretty minimal, compared to the Bombcast or something. I'm kinda baffled that when 1UP died that 8-4 doesn't just host it themselves. I mean, the only advantage to being on GB is that I'm guessing GB is covering the hosting costs with whatever bulk rate they get through CBSi or something? 8-4 doesn't seem to care about the comments section on GB, as they seem more interested in the 8-4 podcast thread on NeoGAF.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AMyggen

@bisonhero: They host it on their own website too if I'm not mistaken (they call GB a "second home" for a reason). Having it on 1up/GB is for it to reach a wider audience. I got introduced to the podcast when it came to GB, and listen to every one now.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I recall right Ryan himself called it their sister podcast, so I can't imagine it going anywhere unless 8-4 decides to move themselves.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Ah, that makes sense. I always assumed that referred either to the fact that their "home" used to be 1UP and is now GB, or that iTunes is their "first" home in the sense that I assume iTunes is still pretty much the primary aggregator of podcast feeds, and being on the top of the pocast lists on iTunes is still the sign that your podcast is relevant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm pretty sure they'll still be around. As far as I understand they have more connections to the site than just patrick.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A) I hate it most of the time.

B) Patrick had nothing to do with it; it was around year(s) before he came aboard.

C) I'm more worried about the Dumptruck. #beepbeep

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I dont think 8-4 play is going anywhere, i didnt even know about it until it arrived on GB and its one of my fav podcasts so i would hate to think of anyone else missing out.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I find it fun to listen to, for a different perspective that I don't always agree with, but nevertheless find interesting.

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

8-4 is so fucking fantastic. I hope they still continue to have a home here.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

if I am not mistaken Ryan was the most instrumental in getting that podcast on the site. I could be wrong but that's what it always felt like.