Would you watch a regular Giant Bomb poker game?

tgjessie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you watch a regular Giant Bomb poker game? (376 votes)

No 29%
Maybe once or twice 31%
Yes 21%
Very Yes 19%

I don't recall which episode it was, but in a recent Giant Beastcast, Alex proposed a regular poker night with the GB East crew. I don't know how they would set it up (or if they even would), but if GB East/West recorded/streamed a regular poker game, would you watch it?

I know I'd watch the hell out of it.

• 
CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are going to get together to stream/record anything non videogame related I'd much rather they took another shot at Pathfinder or D&D.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FrodoBaggins

Regular? No way. One off? Absolutely.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If it was between Dan, Abby, and Alex with Vinny as the commentator, absolutely. I would also fully be on board if Vinny played with those three and Johnny V was the announcer in full Marlon Brando character the entire time.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gkhan

Much rather they play other card or board game stuff. They should get Bakalar in and play some The Resistance or something.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would prefer like, literally, any other game. Chess, checkers, get Austin and play Shadowrun or something, anything. I find poker so boring.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@gkhan said:

Much rather they play other card or board game stuff. They should get Bakalar in and play some The Resistance or something.

Yeah, a card game would be OK but I'd love more tabletop stuff of any variety.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's poker. So no.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OurSin_360

Poker is only fun to watch/play with money on the line.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I would play a Giant Bomb themed Celebrity Poker-style game if they ever had the time/energy to make one.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but only a couple times. I love these guys doing anything, but poker can only hold a person's attention for so long. If it were some type of cooperative storytelling experience, though...

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No chance itll be better than this though.

Loading Video...

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@forteexe21: Fucking Quick Look is still haunting my nightmares, all these years later...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

Once, but only if the totally cleaned out Dan Ryckert. I don't think anything would be more enjoyable than Dan losing money hand after hand. Extra points if Vinny conceived Dan that three of a kind beats a Royal Flush.

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jstaunton

Poker does absolutely nothing for me, but a one-off show? Sure.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'd watch it, though I'd hope they'd do some green screen or tricaster-ish (whatever their new video composition software is called) nonsense along with it.

Maybe do like the old Star Trek Online and Cards Against Humanity stream and have someone play an MMO or some VR nonsense on a screen in the background.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poker is only fun to watch/play with money on the line.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Whiskey Media tried card games a few times on Thursday Night Throwdown and it was not very entertaining.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BisonHero

@htr10 said:

I feel like Whiskey Media tried card games a few times on Thursday Night Throwdown and it was not very entertaining.

Yeah, I think they have no idea how to do the camera setup for it. Or they do know how to do it, but it would take way too much time to reconfigure the entire studio camera setup just for this one video feature, then switch it all back when they have to do a regular video game feature the next day. Just about every time in the past that they played Card Games or anything tabletop related, it was pretty rough getting a good view at what was happening on the table/what people had in their hands/what is on people's character sheets/whatever.

There are Youtube channels that specialize in this stuff because it's what they focus 90%+ of their effort on, but that's not GB. No one other than Austin (and to some extent former engineers Dave and Ian) has been very passionate about tabletop/board game/card game stuff at GB, so I think it's just a waste of time and resources to try to do video features around it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Only if it was reasonably high stake. Otherwise, poker is fun but feel like it'd be really boring to watch.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they did it, I would watch it. However there are other physical games I'd rather see them play.
I don't care about the stakes, there could be none for all I care, or there could be shenanigan stakes like in Steal My Sunshine.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that’d be fun

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

No I wouldn't. Not a fan of gambling in the first place and even if I was watching pro poker on ESPN 2 or whatever is like watching paint dry.

Especially since it'd likely to be the same players everytime and there's bound to be considerable skill differences among them.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This is not a fair question. I'd watch anything these people would do! Would I be into it outside of the usual banter? Not really, sounds boring.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan of watching poker, but yeah I'd watch a one-off thing. Ditto to whoever it was saying they should do more tabletop, but also they're definitely not doing more tabletop ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the poker was an excuse to hang out and chat in a more casual format then yeah, that would totally be fun. If it was actually poker with a commentator like it was on TV? I'd maybe watch a one off.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I would watch stuff like Avalon and other similar types of games like that. With a more typical "game" like poker, I probably wouldn't watch that more than a couple of times.

Also, I think Alex was talking about a personal game, that isn't streamed or recorded for the site. It seems unlikely something like this would actually happen, let alone getting GB West involved.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Once or twice if I just wanted some low-key background noise. Not sure how much that qualifies as watching in your eyes.

I'd watch them showcase some boardgames though. Doesn't have to be in-depth RPG DnD-type games. Stuff like Cthulhu Wars and other board game-y games could be cool. Dunno how into board games the East crew are though, if they'd have ideas for games to bring to the table let alone be enthusiastic about something like that.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I know this was necro'd, but considering the current circumstances I'd love to see a staff poker game get streamed.

Birtrum_Yonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would only watch if there was real money involved and everyone got pissed off at eachother

Esmarald28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hellyeah!

I always enjoy seeing the crew's personalities shine through in different situations, and a poker game would definitely provide a fun and unique opportunity for that.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man these AI training bots that are all over the forums are a brand new breed of whack

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: yeah there's a lot of one post accounts that are fed the initial post then regurgitate a whole AI line of nonsense. One of the above accounts posted the exact same shit under a duff account, that post was deleted but the second one (Ann parker) is still there.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Esmerald a few posts up is the same shit

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge: I thought it was weird that there was another post that mentioned the 21% saying yes in it(you're right, it's been deleted) but I didn't put two and two together. That's wild.

Avatar image for abdulrashidbala
Abdulrashidbala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this thread is a bit old, but I couldn't resist chiming in. I'm a huge fan of Giant Bomb and I remember that proposal on the Beastcast for a regular poker game with the GB East crew

Kennethberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kennethberry

A regular poker night with the Giant Bomb crew would be a total blast. I mean, those guys are already a riot on their shows and throwing poker into the mix? That's like adding extra spice to an already awesome recipe. I can totally picture myself glued to the screen, cheering them on and laughing along with their banter. Speaking of which, if you're up for more excitement, you might want to check out https://betcanada365.ca/ for some sports betting action. It's another way to amp up the thrill and get your heart racing

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking AI bots. Half the forum posts are just AI these days. Our cyberpunk future is just such garbage