XBMC/Kodi Giant Bomb addon link code question

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By arbayer2

Hey, all. This may seem like a dumb question but does anyone know how one would find their XBMC link code for the 3.5.1 Giant Bomb add-on? I don't see any official forum threads on the addon, and scouring the account support page, XBMC's website and GB's API Developer's forum searching for an answer led to nothing -- I'm out of ideas. I'm trying to set it up for the first time with my premium account. It'd be pretty great to roll with what equates to a home theater Giant Bomb experience, 'nuff said.

The addon asked for me to navigate to "giantbomb.com/xbmc" to obtain it and then manually enter it. However, all that happens is the infamous 500 Server Error page - I'm assuming the subdomain no longer exists considering the general lack of longevity things on XBMC can have, though I can't speak for GB. Subscriber key doesn't work at all either for what that's worth.

I'm pretty new to the forums in general so I apologize in advance for any naivete.

sp0rkeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sp0rkeh

Does it work for you if you add www. to the beginning of the URL? When I try it I am redirected to www.giantbomb.com/xbmc and it works as it should. I've definitely seen another thread about this issue somewhat recently but I can't remember if a solution was found. Maybe try adding a trailing slash too.

GnolTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I linked it I used the code in http://www.giantbomb.com/boxee/ . Think it's the same page though.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arbayer2

Thanks for the responses, duders. Unfortunately, no, in both Firefox and Chrome manually entering the URL(s) completely solves nothing -- /boxee also gives a 500 error. I believe I saw the /boxee tip mentioned earlier as well, though, if I recall correctly.

INCSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By INCSlayer

i just checked it and both the boxee and the xbmc ones works for atm from chrome. so there might to be some issue on your end

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arbayer2

Thanks for the tip, INCSlayer. I did as much as I could on my end, I feel.

Unfortunately, removing all addons/extensions and retrying with Internet Exporer, Firefox, Opera and Chrome didn't change anything, I still get 500 errors. I also got 500 errors in a VirtualBox instance of Windows 10 Technical Preview. I thought it might be a firewall/cable issue, I've not really had troubles with 500 errors this consistently before with any websites. However, nothing of note was off in my router settings that I can tell.

Also, using IE on a Windows Phone on the AT&T cell network (WiFi off) gives the same error. I'm in the greater Seattle area, guess it might be a regional thing?

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arbayer2

Regardless, I can cope with watching the hilarity of Drew fighting Revolver Ocelot in a web browser, no worries. Just wish I could figure out what the problem is.

GnolTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you have a nice proper media center set up, you shouldn't be forced to watch Giant Bomb silliness in a web browser like some plebeian!

A HTTP 500 error usually indicates a problem on the server end (since it's the error code for internal server error), not a problem on your end. Since only you seem to be experiencing this problem, maybe there's something wrong with your user account?

Could you see what happens if you try to access that page while logged out? Or make a screenshot and start a topic on this on the Bug Reporting forum.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By arbayer2

Hmm... good point, thanks GnolTac!

I appreciate the clarification on what the error means; considering most sources on the Internet basically describe it as "this HTTP error is so generic even the server doesn't care about describing it to you" having that bit of context helps things.

Okay, trying to access both /xbmc and /boxee while logged out immediately redirects me to "auth.giantbomb.com/login", so at least that redirect works. It may be some sort of account issue seeing as it only pops up when I'm logged in, although I wouldn't necessarily know better because of that.

/xbmc
/xbmc

/boxee
/boxee

Keep in mind that as I mentioned before the multitude of addons I've got running in Firefox seems to make no noticeable difference in just how hard I get 500'd. Disabling everything nets the same result.

Let's see if I can get this into Bug Reporting.

GnolTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think your addons should be an issue here, since that's clientside. I was hoping the error screens were giving you somewhat more information, but yeah it really is just a custom HTTP 500 screen.

I'd love to help you, but this requires actual knowledge of the system they implemented. I see you made a thread in the Bug Report forum, so good luck with that. Giant Bomb on XBMC is pretty sweet after all.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine so, yes. Thanks again for all your help, guys. I'll let you know what happens.