Year Walk and what do you think of the new ios quick looks

FluidLung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By FluidLung

Poll Year Walk and what do you think of the new ios quick looks (163 votes)

I like'em 77%
I hate'em 13%
Theres ios quick looks? hmmmm 10%

So i recently played and bought year walk after watching Brad and Vinny's quick look. I must say I found the games atmosphere enthralling, I found myself unable to stop.

much like the man in the companion.

I would love to know what other people thought of this game, what were your most/least favorite parts, what resonated with you? what disturbed you? What puzzles did you get stuck on?

Well i got stuck on the cave with the flame, i kept going back to the blood since i felt it was important, of course in the end it was ish. I found myself dreading and freaking myself out with what i thought might jump out. To my surprise the game endws less spooky than it started. I then read the companion and man did that freak me out i was waiting for something to pop up and scare me so turning every page was fraying my nerves just a little bit more. I put alot of my tension down to the music/sounds in game fantastic.

I suggest getting this game if you like a bit of spook with your puzzle solving.

• 
ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThePaleKing

I'd buy both The Room and Year Walk, because of the quicklooks, if I actually had an idevice. Not sure how the ios quicklooks are different from any other.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As far as I'm concerned Year Walk was their first iOS Quick Look.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm cool with ios quick looks. i had (albeit the only) great experience with sword & sworcery, so if they can turn me on to new and interesting games i'm down. besides, browsing the actual appstore and trying to figure out what's good is a chore.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like them. Don't get my wrong, I don't have a problem with them doing them, and I think they've been doing an alright job. It's just that I don't have an iOS phone or tablet, I'm not a fan of the minimalism present in indie games, and I find the whole scene a bit on the pompous side. It's just not for me. That being said, for those that it does apply to, I hope that they keep it up.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care about the ios games, but I do care about quick looks. The more the better.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero interest in them because I don't own or plan on owning an IOS device. I kind of wish the staff would focus their time and resources on other things but clearly they think doing these are worthwhile.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm happy to see any Quick Looks, really. Giant Bomb cover plenty of games I have no interest in - hell their best Quick Looks are games I'd never touch.

So bring'em on, why not.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder when will they have their first iOS quick look

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepaleking said:

I'd buy both The Room and Year Walk, because of the quicklooks, if I actually had an idevice. Not sure how the ios quicklooks are different from any other.

Yup, I'm of a similar mindset. While I don't own an i-device myself, being able to have the footage and exposure to these gems is something I much enjoy.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By me3639

I dont have any of the ios devices, but i like the quick looks because its refreshing to see whats the games are like on the platform. However, as much as they look good i would still rather play from my couch, or PC. Still no interest in buying a tablet anytime soon.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick look everything.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:

... It's just that I don't have an iOS phone or tablet, I'm not a fan of the minimalism present in indie games, and I find the whole scene a bit on the pompous side. It's just not for me. That being said, for those that it does apply to, I hope that they keep it up.

I have zero interest in them because I don't own or plan on owning an IOS device. I kind of wish the staff would focus their time and resources on other things but clearly they think doing these are worthwhile.

I don't own an XBox, a 3DS, a Vita, a WiiU or a Wii and yet I don't have anything against them using their time and resources to do Quick Looks of games on those devices. Hell, I even thoroughly enjoy them. Weird!

In fact I can probably more readily sit back and watch Quick Looks for games I know I'm not going to buy as I'm happy that I'm not going to spoil my enjoyment of something I'm just about to buy and play myself. I usually have to avoid Quick Looks of any major releases that I know I'm about to get until after I've played a bit of it myself.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I like them. They expose me to games I wouldn't have known existed, otherwise.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like them, especially the quick look of The Room. Really made me wish I had an iPad.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I have with iOS Quick Looks is the part where they're starting to convince me that I want an iPad to play games on, never mind that I don't care for the OS or even tablets in general. Some of these games look pretty cool though and legitimately wouldn't work on a device without multiple pointer inputs. It's really cool that they're showing off the worthwhile games in that marketplace.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Oldirtybearon

iOS games are boring in comparison to real video games. The quick looks have been boring, too. If Vinny + Brad can't save your quick look then you've got a shite game.

Or Brad's playing it.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think of iOS quick looks the same as normal quick looks, I don't see how the platform should matter.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an android guy, but I was tempted to buy an ipad by the Year Walk quicklook.

It's pure heresy.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best quick looks are usually of games I'd never play, so I'm cool with iOS games. Year Walk looks like it has some creepy ambiance and I wish it would come to PC.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wacomole

@tafae said:

The only problem I have with iOS Quick Looks is the part where they're starting to convince me that I want an iPad to play games on, never mind that I don't care for the OS or even tablets in general. Some of these games look pretty cool though and legitimately wouldn't work on a device without multiple pointer inputs. It's really cool that they're showing off the worthwhile games in that marketplace.

Yeah, I used to be totally all "who in their right mind wants an iPad? What a waste of money" until I actually HAD to buy an iPad 4 for work.

The only sore point I have is that, as someone so used to upgrading bits of my PC to keep it current, the almost "disposable" nature of the iPad is kind of annoying, especially when the time between new revisions of the hardware is now getting even shorter.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

It's far too early to say if I do or don't like the iOS quick looks. Year Walk was their first, in case you didn't know.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dingofighter

I don't like them for the fact that all the good games they show are only available on iPad/iDevices, and I don't have an iDevice...

Other than that I don't mind them making iOS Quick Looks.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@kerned said:

Quick look everything.

quick look everything

FluidLung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluidLung

It's far too early to say if I do or don't like the iOS quick looks. Year Walk was their first, in case you didn't know.

I thought either the room or kingdom rush was the first ios quick look. Not that it matters.

I think of iOS quick looks the same as normal quick looks, I don't see how the platform should matter.

The platform doesn't really matter however i would have thought to show off ios games could be difficult to get the feeling of what touch commands/controls they are using. However i think they have captured it in a unique but easy to understand way. I'm just happy to have more content, especially on a different platform. I enjoy seeing quick looks for all gaming consoles/platforms.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get this mindset, I don't treat every quick look as some purchasing decision. Telling them how to spend their resources is a bad route to go down.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Year Walk QL didn't interest me much, turned it off after 5 mins. I probably made it halfway through the Room QL. Not a big fan of mobile games.

On the other hand, I couldn't get through the Impire QL either so maybe I can't just watch every QL ever anymore.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

iOS quick looks are fine, they're just like any other Quick Look, whether they're going to be enjoyable to watch or boring to watch is going to vary. I didn't enjoy the quick looks for that tower defense game or Hundreds, but I enjoyed the looks at The Room and Year Walk.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

So far so good. I can see it being a pile of shit but the guys are picking some awesome games to show. If any other team had this... it would be full of dumb card games and Angry Birds out the ass. They know what they are doing and I can trust that the stuff they are pumping out is going to be awesome.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I like that it's always the first iOS quick look - keeps it fresh!

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero plans to ever own a 3DS or Wii U but I still like to see quick looks for that system. It's nice to see what good games I might not have access to, which may change my mind (or not), because I still want to be educated about the current gaming market. Anyone worried about iOS quick looks needs to just treat it the same as for any platform they don't or won't own. Besides, games get around these days. I watched the Little Inferno footage from the Wii U launch and then recently when it came out on iPad I bought it instantly on the strength of the Wii U quick look. I now own the definitive version of that game thanks to a quick look for a system I don't own. It's all good.

And really, iOS right now is one of the best gaming platforms. I have a Vita, a 360 and a PS3 all within easy reach but I find myself grabbing for my iPad first an increasing amount. Sure you don't get, and will never get, big 3D first or third person games. It's not a system for that, for that I own and play my home consoles, that's what they are for. For other types of games though, a touch screen can be superior.

As well as Year Walk (a game of the year contender for me, the experience was just that good), and The Room, I recently replayed The Walking Dead on iPad where I found it much better than on PS3. Lots of games are finding their "definitive version" home on iOS actually. Little Inferno, The World Ends With You, Ghost Trick.

I've been playing a ton of Battle of the Bulge, a WWII strategy boardgame, also Battle Academy which is a port of a PC game and probably the best WWII wargame I've ever played. Both of these have asynchronous multiplayer, which is iOS' killer app. No other console comes close when it comes to offering turn-based play in games. I'm currently deep into Starbase Orion, which is a 4X game that's basically Masters of Orion 2 with a multiplayer focus. Me and two online gaming friends are playing a 3 humans Vs 5 AI match and it's just goddamn magical.

Ultimately, Giant Bomb do quicklooks of games for a bunch of reasons. Because they are good, and they need to bring them to people's attention. Occasionally because they are bad, and want to offer a warning (Sonic Racing on the 3DS). And sometimes because they are odd and it'll make for a fun video, like the farming and trucking games. The first category now includes iOS games because iOS has got some great games. Maybe once enough of them are see that minority that still think it's not a "real" gaming system with "real" games will get over themselves and accept it as another pillar of gaming.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@redbullet685 said:

I thought either the room or kingdom rush was the first ios quick look. Not that it matters.

Ah, I see you didn't catch onto my joke. In all of the iOS quick looks, at the beginning, they say that its their first. They have had about 5 or so iOS quick looks so far and they still say it.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EVO

It's only a matter of time until Giant Bomb starts full blown covering iOS games. They're too good to ignore.

FluidLung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluidlung said:

@redbullet685 said:

Ah, I see you didn't catch onto my joke. In all of the iOS quick looks, at the beginning, they say that its their first. They have had about 5 or so iOS quick looks so far and they still say it.

Your far to observant. thanks for the catch.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't played Year Walk, but I love these iOS Quick Looks. Personally I was one of those gamers that looked down on iOS games as kids stuff, but the games that have been highlighted have completely won me over. I was never even into tower defense games, but tried Kingdom Rush. If anyone has not checked out The Room, do yourself a favor and check it out.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More Quick Looks are always a good thing.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think iOS QLs are a great addition provided they're used sparingly. It seems like it would be easy to fall into a hole where the majority of QLs in a month are iOS releases.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was introduced to Year Walk by these quicklooks, and I loved it, so I'm all for more. That was the first game I ever got for my phone, and if anything else comes around with that same level of quality, I'd love to know about it.

So yeah. Keep 'em up.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By SpudBug

They can do what they want but personally I hate apple and iOS games because the shit they spew from the top trickles down and stains all games.

AAA game development has its problems, but iOS's 99 cent, free to play, pay to win economy is too far to the other extreme. It's a poison to me and if most games become infected with it I think it's finally the one thing that could turn me off to videogames after 25 years.

That said I'm not against smaller, cheap throwaway games on my iPad like hexagon and super crate box.. It's just that's not what the platform is blowing up over - it's moneymaking schemes that make EA look like an indie humble bundle.