#1 Edited by ultraspacemobile (63 posts) -

When I was 10 or so years old, my best friend and I went to the roller rink and dumped like 20 bucks into Battletoads before we finally beat it. When his mom came to pick us up, we related our exploits to her, at which point she got SUPER pissed and sent me home. I can only imagine the earful my friend received.

So I ask you, have you ever gotten a stern rebuking for playing video games? If so, over what game and by whom? Tell me a tale, GB community.

#2 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1956 posts) -

Yeah, in elementary school I wouldn't do my homework so my mom took my playstation away for a week. I was so mad at her, but it was also one of my most productive weeks ever ha ha.

#3 Edited by Hailinel (24284 posts) -

When I was a kid, I once got my ass yanked out of an arcade by my parents when I ran out of quarters and asked people nearby if they had any they could spare.

#4 Posted by TobbRobb (4589 posts) -

I've gotten rebuked a lot about playing too much in general, but I never really gave much room for argument by keeping my grades up, so it was never really an issue.

#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5814 posts) -

Well, I wasn't actually playing the game but...

When I was younger I used to like looking strategy guides for Mortal Kombat and reading the descriptions for each character's fatalities. One time, I came across a word that I was unfamiliar with and asked my dad what it meant. But then he looked at some of the stuff I was reading, and he got pretty mad at me.

#6 Edited by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

I have almost no memory of childhood, but knowing myself, I probably got caught waking up in the middle of the night to play at some point, costing myself game privileges for an extended duration.

#7 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

You beat Battletoads in only $20? You should have gotten a trophy or something.

#8 Edited by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

My dad smashed our PS2 and the borrowed disc inside it when my brother and I stayed up a few hours past our bedtime playing games on a school night. Its a pretty awful memory.

#9 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

I remember playing a new JRPG for a few days without doing anything else. They insisted that I get outside and get some fresh air.

Then my stepfather played it instead.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

My dad smashed our PS2 and the borrowed disc inside it when my brother and I stayed up a few hours past our bedtime playing games on a school night. Its a pretty awful memory.

That's pretty rough, hunter. Sorry to hear that. Was that a common response or just an especially bad day?

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

That's pretty rough, hunter. Sorry to hear that. Was that a common response or just an especially bad day?

Definitely not common, because we never let him hear the end of it to this day.

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8721 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@hunter5024 said:

Definitely not common, because we never let him hear the end of it to this day.

Ah, well, good. Sometimes those are just one instance amongst many. Glad your future consoles had better luck.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

not that I can think of... mom did yell at herself for staying up till 1 am to play columns though.

also the thread title sounds like it'd be some alternate evil version of YTMND.

#14 Edited by Wheady (106 posts) -

my mom was constantly taking my consoles away from me. it was horrible, lol.

#15 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@wheady: This though it was mostly unrelated to the games themselves; I didn't own an M rated game for quite some time though, granted almost everything was T at the time so it didn't really matter.

#16 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Well... my parents, or at least my father (and mother followed along), were strict religious folk approaching fundamentalist territory. There's also a lot of mental illness in my family. Yeah. :/

Just about everything was either satanic or a sin or an affront to the church or whatever. They took away all of my video game magazines at one point because dad had decided that Goro from Mortal Kombat was some kind of demon. Video games then = satanic practice.

Unfortunately, no, i'm not kidding. Or even exaggerating. T__T

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -

Why yes it happened to me at an interschool tournament where there was an arcade where I used all my lunchmoney that day on Samurai Shodown... Mom wasnt very pleased :/

#18 Edited by TopSteer (642 posts) -

I don't remember anything like that ever happening to me besides the usual scolding for staying up too late playing games. I guess having a dad that also plays games helped in this regard.

#19 Posted by Abendlaender (2780 posts) -

Mom: Do your homework
Me: No, I want to play Super Mario World

Hijinks ensued

#20 Posted by Devil240Z (3314 posts) -

I used to totally go to the roller rink when I was a kid and just play video games.

#21 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

Wait.

Wait.

Battletoads is a real game? I always thought that was just something made up for that prank call thing.... God dammit you guys. You can't not tell me these things!

#22 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -

I was a little shit. I got so bad there would be weeks of "NCC" (No Computer Chris) on the calendar. I used to try to bargain saying "well, just dont let me play my favourite game!" <- did not work.

#23 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

my parents were not particularly effective in stemming my video gaming activities, so really the only trouble i got in was scholastic in nature, in that i played way too much world of warcraft and let it affect my grades

#24 Edited by Slab64 (1054 posts) -

Wait.

Wait.

Battletoads is a real game? I always thought that was just something made up for that prank call thing.... God dammit you guys. You can't not tell me these things!

Now the rest of us aren't sure if YOUR post is an elaborate troll or not.

#25 Edited by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

I borrowed The Getaway for PS2 from a friend of mine when I was like 12 years old (yes, I know the errors of my ways today). I blasted a dude with a shotgun, and the game had really graphic violence, so a huge stain of blood was painted on the white wall behind the guy I killed. Just as I did that, my dad came in. He wasn't exactly pissed, but he said something like "yeah, that's the kind of game that builds character" in a real sarcastic and dissapointed way. That was tough.

I have to give my dad props for pretty fantastic parenting though. If he had gotten all pissed and taken the game from me, then I'd just be pissed. Instead, he made me not want to play it. That's pretty awesome.

#26 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Not really. The closest thing I can think of was this one time that I was playing FFX in the living room when my grandmother came in and sat down to watch as she was bored and wanted to take a break from reading. I was hoping to get to show her that games can have awesome stories and interesting characters but of course she sat down just as I was about to start a puzzle that I ended up getting stuck on for 20-30 min. I asked her what she thought and she just said it looks boring. You just do the same thing over and over. I don't understand why you like these things. I tried to explain to her that it was just a puzzle I couldn't figure out and how the rest of the game worked, but it understandably went over her head.

So that was my one shot to show my grandmother why I like video games and she walked away thinking it was just people running in circles for 20-30 min pushing things. Later on I got her to play some Wii Sports and she enjoyed her time with that but I was still never able to convert to gaming.