Avatar image for ultraspacemobile
ultraspacemobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ultraspacemobile

When I was 10 or so years old, my best friend and I went to the roller rink and dumped like 20 bucks into Battletoads before we finally beat it. When his mom came to pick us up, we related our exploits to her, at which point she got SUPER pissed and sent me home. I can only imagine the earful my friend received.

So I ask you, have you ever gotten a stern rebuking for playing video games? If so, over what game and by whom? Tell me a tale, GB community.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yeah, in elementary school I wouldn't do my homework so my mom took my playstation away for a week. I was so mad at her, but it was also one of my most productive weeks ever ha ha.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

When I was a kid, I once got my ass yanked out of an arcade by my parents when I ran out of quarters and asked people nearby if they had any they could spare.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've gotten rebuked a lot about playing too much in general, but I never really gave much room for argument by keeping my grades up, so it was never really an issue.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Well, I wasn't actually playing the game but...

When I was younger I used to like looking strategy guides for Mortal Kombat and reading the descriptions for each character's fatalities. One time, I came across a word that I was unfamiliar with and asked my dad what it meant. But then he looked at some of the stuff I was reading, and he got pretty mad at me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

I have almost no memory of childhood, but knowing myself, I probably got caught waking up in the middle of the night to play at some point, costing myself game privileges for an extended duration.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

You beat Battletoads in only $20? You should have gotten a trophy or something.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

My dad smashed our PS2 and the borrowed disc inside it when my brother and I stayed up a few hours past our bedtime playing games on a school night. Its a pretty awful memory.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember playing a new JRPG for a few days without doing anything else. They insisted that I get outside and get some fresh air.

Then my stepfather played it instead.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad smashed our PS2 and the borrowed disc inside it when my brother and I stayed up a few hours past our bedtime playing games on a school night. Its a pretty awful memory.

That's pretty rough, hunter. Sorry to hear that. Was that a common response or just an especially bad day?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@hunter5024 said:

That's pretty rough, hunter. Sorry to hear that. Was that a common response or just an especially bad day?

Definitely not common, because we never let him hear the end of it to this day.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@hunter5024 said:

Definitely not common, because we never let him hear the end of it to this day.

Ah, well, good. Sometimes those are just one instance amongst many. Glad your future consoles had better luck.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

not that I can think of... mom did yell at herself for staying up till 1 am to play columns though.

also the thread title sounds like it'd be some alternate evil version of YTMND.

Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Wheady

my mom was constantly taking my consoles away from me. it was horrible, lol.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wheady: This though it was mostly unrelated to the games themselves; I didn't own an M rated game for quite some time though, granted almost everything was T at the time so it didn't really matter.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HerbieBug

Well... my parents, or at least my father (and mother followed along), were strict religious folk approaching fundamentalist territory. There's also a lot of mental illness in my family. Yeah. :/

Just about everything was either satanic or a sin or an affront to the church or whatever. They took away all of my video game magazines at one point because dad had decided that Goro from Mortal Kombat was some kind of demon. Video games then = satanic practice.

Unfortunately, no, i'm not kidding. Or even exaggerating. T__T

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why yes it happened to me at an interschool tournament where there was an arcade where I used all my lunchmoney that day on Samurai Shodown... Mom wasnt very pleased :/

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By topsteer

I don't remember anything like that ever happening to me besides the usual scolding for staying up too late playing games. I guess having a dad that also plays games helped in this regard.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mom: Do your homework
Me: No, I want to play Super Mario World

Hijinks ensued

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to totally go to the roller rink when I was a kid and just play video games.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Wait.

Wait.

Battletoads is a real game? I always thought that was just something made up for that prank call thing.... God dammit you guys. You can't not tell me these things!

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was a little shit. I got so bad there would be weeks of "NCC" (No Computer Chris) on the calendar. I used to try to bargain saying "well, just dont let me play my favourite game!" <- did not work.

stonepawfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

my parents were not particularly effective in stemming my video gaming activities, so really the only trouble i got in was scholastic in nature, in that i played way too much world of warcraft and let it affect my grades

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slab64

Wait.

Wait.

Battletoads is a real game? I always thought that was just something made up for that prank call thing.... God dammit you guys. You can't not tell me these things!

Now the rest of us aren't sure if YOUR post is an elaborate troll or not.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Legion_

I borrowed The Getaway for PS2 from a friend of mine when I was like 12 years old (yes, I know the errors of my ways today). I blasted a dude with a shotgun, and the game had really graphic violence, so a huge stain of blood was painted on the white wall behind the guy I killed. Just as I did that, my dad came in. He wasn't exactly pissed, but he said something like "yeah, that's the kind of game that builds character" in a real sarcastic and dissapointed way. That was tough.

I have to give my dad props for pretty fantastic parenting though. If he had gotten all pissed and taken the game from me, then I'd just be pissed. Instead, he made me not want to play it. That's pretty awesome.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By crusader8463

Not really. The closest thing I can think of was this one time that I was playing FFX in the living room when my grandmother came in and sat down to watch as she was bored and wanted to take a break from reading. I was hoping to get to show her that games can have awesome stories and interesting characters but of course she sat down just as I was about to start a puzzle that I ended up getting stuck on for 20-30 min. I asked her what she thought and she just said it looks boring. You just do the same thing over and over. I don't understand why you like these things. I tried to explain to her that it was just a puzzle I couldn't figure out and how the rest of the game worked, but it understandably went over her head.

So that was my one shot to show my grandmother why I like video games and she walked away thinking it was just people running in circles for 20-30 min pushing things. Later on I got her to play some Wii Sports and she enjoyed her time with that but I was still never able to convert to gaming.