Euclideon's "Island" demo, see: the future of video game graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By aurahack

I normally don't go bananas over graphics technology since it's really relevant to why I like games, but this is pretty monumental.

The short end of it is some Australian tech company has created an entirely new way of processing graphics for uses such as gaming. Instead of using polygons, they use point data (or as they call it, atoms). Instead of little triangles, it's clouds of dots that form a shape. This allows them to forever eliminate jagged edges and bring in an entirely new level of detail we've practically never seen in games. 

It's fucking fascinating stuff and I'm sure is also relevant to the interest of people here. What do you guys think? 'Cause I'm kind of mind-blown right now.
salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By salad10203

I asked it in the other thread and no on answered so I will ask again. 

How does their "atom" based modeling use less resources than polygon?  They don't explain in the video and I have yet to see anyone explain why, does anyone know?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Already up http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/company-invents-technology-100k-times-better-than-existing-ones/508844/#75

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1
aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By aurahack
@Irvandus: Woop. I searched and didn't find anything. My bad.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

UNLIMITED QUANTITY? Nonsense. But those are some nice rocks.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By CandleJakk

That demo, while exceptionally impressive, is irrelevant. When I play Just Cause 2, I'm not studying the rock polygons & geometry, I'm hooking bad guys to gas canisters and shooting them hundreds of feet into the air, whilst freefalling from a fucking exploding helicopter. I'm focused on the game, and while I will stop and think 'Shit, this is impressively pretty', I'll forget all about it when I'm focused on the next objective.

Never mind how fucking intense this will be on any readily-available hardware to run.