The difference between narrative, and play (Or play + rules)

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

Edited By just_nonplussed

In response to an on-going dialogue between myself and others on this site, on the way video games tell stories, this blog will attempt to come to some kind of a conclusion on some contested points. These points of contention revolve around the meaning of the term narrative, or story. To avoid falling into an abyss (Although that sounds like terrific fun), I will be using the Atari 2600 game, Kaboom! to illustrate my point clearly and to keep 'on topic'.

No Caption Provided

Kaboom! is a single-screen arcade-type game from the 80s. You move a 'bucket' (A single bucket that contains 3 segments, or sub-buckets) that acts in the same way as a paddle from Breakout or Pong (You can only move left and right). So you are represented in the game space by the bucket. I'm using the term bucket loosely, because it's simpler than saying bomb diffuser. So here comes the story. There's a 'mad bomber' and he is intent on bombing 'stuff' up; he also appears to be convict/terrorist. Not much more official information is given, except that your role within the game space is to diffuse his bombs and stop the threat. The way Kaboom! is balanced though makes this plot almost unresolvable/impossible. This is because the better you are at your job, as this bomb diffusion expert, the faster the bomber gets (You could say he becomes more violent, more efficient, or more eratic). There are other nuances, in the gameplay, but they can't be said to significantly affect the drama or conclusion of the story. You just can't win. Interestingly In 2011, it's a topical game to fire up...But let's move on now to discussing rules & play, and then I will make some comparissons.

The rules are strict in Kaboom!. It's a very tightly balanced game, and unique in its design. Usually the player has a way of fighting back (A laser for example, as in Space Invaders, or most any other game) even if the odds are stacked against them, but in Kaboom! you have no method of force; your every move is controlled by patterns of bombs as they flow down the screen until you enter a kind of hypnotic daze. In my experience, I think it's the video game that puts the player in the weakest possible position with barely any choice for deviation. Most games are about being a super soldier where you have god-like powers and abilities, but Kaboom! is about submission and domination. This isn't just a story, it's a relationship between the game and the player. You yourself are being controlled, hypnotized and dominated whether this process is fun or not fun.

In the above two paragraphs I've clearly made distinctions between the story (Inclusive of gameplay and the player) and then I've isolated just the rules & play. However, in my view there are two different stories going on here. There is the story of the game creator who has put these rules; these bindings, on your consciousness through the act of play, and then there is the Mad Bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser. The former is an agreement or relationship between two people via a computer system. The latter is an interactive narrative. But I contest that the former is also a valid narrative. It is valid because it shapes consciousness, has an emotional effect and leaves a memory in the mind of the player. Of course, the Mad bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser story (Inclusive of the involvement of the player as a character in the story) may also leave a memory and an emotional response, but it would be in the context of the explicit narrative (i.e What the back of the box says and what the relation of graphical images say).   

I personally think that there is no room in the Mad Bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser story for submissive consciousness and brutal domination. These ideas and feelings arise in me due to the constraints of the system on my mind, not as the result of the explicit, 'official' narrative. Furthermore, If Kaboom! were to be made in 2011 without the awareness of the 80s version of Kaboom!, it would not be balanced like it is and would most probably be something that tries to be realistic like Kayne & Lynch or Medal of Honor. I haven't played either of those games but I can bet they have resolutions to their respective narratives, and I can bet they are not about being submissive or controlled (Either in a gameplay sense or in a story premise/pretext sense).

I hope this blog has established and shed light on the contention points (And attempted to resolve them) in the dialogue I was having with various people on the site through thread posts. :-) And I also hope it brings others into the discussion who haven't thought about this much before.

As an interesting point to finish on, in order to turn the 'implicit narrative' into the 'explicit narrative', could you imagine the current symbols changing to represent this? Lol.
Actually, I don't like the term 'implicit/explicit' because it suggests a rivalry (In which the implicit is subordinate). The story between game designer and game player is real, in spite of/because of/in parallel to the video game narrative that is presented to you at face value. 

EDIT: As an observation though, in order for there not to be this 'narrative split' in Kaboom, I think the game should not get faster. The Mad Bomber should just destroy you and the game would end rather quickly. You could argue that the story is 'abstract' but I don't think it was intended to be so. 

--
based on previous discussion: 

storytelling in video games
more narrative-centric games
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By just_nonplussed

In response to an on-going dialogue between myself and others on this site, on the way video games tell stories, this blog will attempt to come to some kind of a conclusion on some contested points. These points of contention revolve around the meaning of the term narrative, or story. To avoid falling into an abyss (Although that sounds like terrific fun), I will be using the Atari 2600 game, Kaboom! to illustrate my point clearly and to keep 'on topic'.

No Caption Provided

Kaboom! is a single-screen arcade-type game from the 80s. You move a 'bucket' (A single bucket that contains 3 segments, or sub-buckets) that acts in the same way as a paddle from Breakout or Pong (You can only move left and right). So you are represented in the game space by the bucket. I'm using the term bucket loosely, because it's simpler than saying bomb diffuser. So here comes the story. There's a 'mad bomber' and he is intent on bombing 'stuff' up; he also appears to be convict/terrorist. Not much more official information is given, except that your role within the game space is to diffuse his bombs and stop the threat. The way Kaboom! is balanced though makes this plot almost unresolvable/impossible. This is because the better you are at your job, as this bomb diffusion expert, the faster the bomber gets (You could say he becomes more violent, more efficient, or more eratic). There are other nuances, in the gameplay, but they can't be said to significantly affect the drama or conclusion of the story. You just can't win. Interestingly In 2011, it's a topical game to fire up...But let's move on now to discussing rules & play, and then I will make some comparissons.

The rules are strict in Kaboom!. It's a very tightly balanced game, and unique in its design. Usually the player has a way of fighting back (A laser for example, as in Space Invaders, or most any other game) even if the odds are stacked against them, but in Kaboom! you have no method of force; your every move is controlled by patterns of bombs as they flow down the screen until you enter a kind of hypnotic daze. In my experience, I think it's the video game that puts the player in the weakest possible position with barely any choice for deviation. Most games are about being a super soldier where you have god-like powers and abilities, but Kaboom! is about submission and domination. This isn't just a story, it's a relationship between the game and the player. You yourself are being controlled, hypnotized and dominated whether this process is fun or not fun.

In the above two paragraphs I've clearly made distinctions between the story (Inclusive of gameplay and the player) and then I've isolated just the rules & play. However, in my view there are two different stories going on here. There is the story of the game creator who has put these rules; these bindings, on your consciousness through the act of play, and then there is the Mad Bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser. The former is an agreement or relationship between two people via a computer system. The latter is an interactive narrative. But I contest that the former is also a valid narrative. It is valid because it shapes consciousness, has an emotional effect and leaves a memory in the mind of the player. Of course, the Mad bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser story (Inclusive of the involvement of the player as a character in the story) may also leave a memory and an emotional response, but it would be in the context of the explicit narrative (i.e What the back of the box says and what the relation of graphical images say).   

I personally think that there is no room in the Mad Bomber Vs. the bomb diffuser story for submissive consciousness and brutal domination. These ideas and feelings arise in me due to the constraints of the system on my mind, not as the result of the explicit, 'official' narrative. Furthermore, If Kaboom! were to be made in 2011 without the awareness of the 80s version of Kaboom!, it would not be balanced like it is and would most probably be something that tries to be realistic like Kayne & Lynch or Medal of Honor. I haven't played either of those games but I can bet they have resolutions to their respective narratives, and I can bet they are not about being submissive or controlled (Either in a gameplay sense or in a story premise/pretext sense).

I hope this blog has established and shed light on the contention points (And attempted to resolve them) in the dialogue I was having with various people on the site through thread posts. :-) And I also hope it brings others into the discussion who haven't thought about this much before.

As an interesting point to finish on, in order to turn the 'implicit narrative' into the 'explicit narrative', could you imagine the current symbols changing to represent this? Lol.
Actually, I don't like the term 'implicit/explicit' because it suggests a rivalry (In which the implicit is subordinate). The story between game designer and game player is real, in spite of/because of/in parallel to the video game narrative that is presented to you at face value. 

EDIT: As an observation though, in order for there not to be this 'narrative split' in Kaboom, I think the game should not get faster. The Mad Bomber should just destroy you and the game would end rather quickly. You could argue that the story is 'abstract' but I don't think it was intended to be so. 

--
based on previous discussion: 

storytelling in video games
more narrative-centric games
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I see you've linked one of the old blogs we were discussing here. Thank you very much, although for those of you looking to read that you'll have to first read this and this to give it some context (yes, I know that's rather a lot of text). I think your reference to Kaboom! as a unwinnable game unlike a lot of games we see today is a very valid one, but I do disagree with a few of the points you make here (I know, you're shocked).

Firstly, I don't think this game necessarily compares to many of the "power fantasy" experiences of modern action games, not only is the narrative in Kaboom! far simpler than anything in modern games but there's not really even a protagonist to appear as an overpowered super-soldier or Olympian God, you control a series of inanimate objects in the game. Secondly and most importantly to me, I don't believe this game is about submission and domination. In fact very few games are, because feeling powerless within a world is not a pleasant sensation, submission and domination is where the game must end but what primarily drives the positive experience of the game is those moments where you are successfully fighting against the bomber, rather than submitting and being dominated, you're actively exerting your skills within the game world and successfully fighting against the computer. Thirdly, I don't see the player as being controlled and hypnotised, but rather consenting to the rules of the game. As you say there's a relationship between the player and the game in Kaboom! but that's true of all games and in pretty much all games the player never enters being controlled and hypnotised, but rather consenting to the rules of the game, they are controlled in some ways by the restrictions of the game but they're perfectly free to play any way they want within those rules or even not play at all. Finally, while the gameplay is certainly a lot of fun (and I think it may be this gameplay that you refer to as the "first story") I think you'd be very hard pressed to say that Kaboom!'s narrative would have an emotional impact on anyone. Anyway, interesting blog and thanks again for the link.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By just_nonplussed
@Gamer_152:

Oh, I think you just enjoy the endless debate. ;-)

Kaboom! relates to power fantasies because it is found in opposite to them, just as strength and weakness are two sides of the same coin. Furthermore, all games are equally relatable to one another. How can a game not be relatable to another game based on age? That's like saying cave paintings are not relatable to canvas paintings because they're too simple, or the way the cave men were using representation to communicate doesn't have an equivalent today. Of course things change, but what we have today is based in the past. Unless you are arguing about the philosophy of power, I don't see your point. I'm not trying to be 100% philosophically correct - I'm trying to get across a point about stories & games. 

"I don't believe this game is about submission and domination"

Well my experience with the game tells me otherwise. Art and entertainment reveal things about the people experiencing them, and they are open texts and freely interpretable. Your experience might tell you otherwise, but you can't tell me I'm wrong. We are all coming to the same physical text, but with different minds.

"feeling powerless within a world is not a pleasant sensation"

Who says Kaboom! is necessarily a pleasant experience? What kind of experience you get out of it is dependent on each individual player. I don't think a lot of gamers would find this game enjoyable today. 'Fun' is not hard-coded into the game, rather the system is generally built in order to manipulate the user to feel something. Sometimes this works as intended, other times it doesn't.

"the positive experience of the game is those moments where you are successfully fighting against the bomber" 

Okay, so we've firstly established that this game gives you a positive experience. Secondly, we can say that you accept the first version of the narrative because you enter into a relationship with the character - the Mad Bomber, so you see your success relative to this. My personal experience is that I don't see my playthrough as positive or negative, regardless of the results. Secondly, I don't see the Mad Bomber character because I'm not relating to the game on that level. Specifically, I'm not relating to Kaboom! on the 'first version narrative'. I'm not talking about other games here. There is some objective element to my experience though; the game moves too fast for me to concentrate on the representations, so I focus on the kinetic aspect. Eventually I lose focus of the visuals and the dominance of the second version narrative becomes very clear. I can't explain to you how intuition works.

"Thirdly, I don't see the player as being controlled and hypnotised, but rather consenting to the rules of the game."

Yes, it is consenting. No one really forces someone to play video games. But whether it is consenting or not, or fun or not, it still controls the mind for the duration of the play experience. It's like riding a rollar coaster. Furthermore, the result of addiction is not being able to stop doing something, and some game systems are better than others at creating such addictive play, and this is irrational and often happens at the subconscious (Though the irrational is certainly not exclusively unconscious) level. For me Kaboom! is an irrational experience of self-induced vertigo. If I wanted to actually learn about terrorists (Beyond the fact that some of them use bombs) I would read a book, or watch a film.

"they are controlled in some ways by the restrictions of the game but they're perfectly free to play any way they want within those rules or even not play at all."

What other ways are you going to play Kaboom? There's only two ways to approach it, and one of those approaches results in the game session ending in about 5 seconds.

"Finally, while the gameplay is certainly a lot of fun (and I think it may be this gameplay that you refer to as the "first story") I think you'd be very hard pressed to say that Kaboom!'s narrative would have an emotional impact on anyone."

As stated earlier, it's not necessarily an enjoyable experience because experience happens seperate of the game structure itself (Even though they're working together).
Also, if you find Kaboom! to be a lot of fun, then you're feeling something: joy.

In conclusion, I feel like we're getting further into the realms of philosophy and there's a danger that we'll lose touch with the ground we've established. You are coming at this from the perspective of the writer himself, while I have no position to defend, other than my own experiences.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@just_nonplussed: As I stated on my 'More Narrative-centric Games' blog, yes I do enjoy the debate, thank you. If I'm understanding you correctly then I think a lot of our disagreements about Kaboom! just come out of the fact that I interpret it as a fun experience and you do not, it's good to have worked that one out. When I was talking about playing within the restrictions of the game that was really just an extension of my point about consent which I think is something we actually agree on.

I'd say my only real disagreement with your previous post comes with the fact that I don't think any two games are equally as comparable. Even if we're just considering narrative then if we compare Kaboom! to something like God of War the problem isn't that the games are of a different age but rather that they're both utilising narrative in completely different ways and are trying to do completely different things with their narratives, and you have to account for that when you compare these two games. In fact I don't think you can directly compare any cave painting with any canvas painting either but I'd argue that the difference between the way those two games use narrative is even greater than the difference between a cave painting and a canvas painting, I see it more like comparing a cave painting to an animated movie.
HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HAMMERCLAW
@just_nonplussed
Rather like arguing about the shape, texture and consistency of daffodils and butterfly wings in a Rorschach ink blob test, isn't it? It's all in the eye of the beholder.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By just_nonplussed
@Gamer_152 said:

I'd say my only real disagreement with your previous post comes with the fact that I don't think any two games are equally as comparable. Even if we're just considering narrative then if we compare Kaboom! to something like God of War the problem isn't that the games are of a different age but rather that they're both utilising narrative in completely different ways and are trying to do completely different things with their narratives, and you have to account for that when you compare these two games. In fact I don't think you can directly compare any cave painting with any canvas painting either but I'd argue that the difference between the way those two games use narrative is even greater than the difference between a cave painting and a canvas painting, I see it more like comparing a cave painting to an animated movie.

You're right that it is difficult to compare old arcade games to modern cinematic epics. They are different products (As I said, if Kaboom! was made in 2011 it would not be Kaboom! Just as Robotron 2084 would probably be more like a Halo game), and you need a bit of background experience with gaming history to be able to delve into such a comparisson, but all games have rules, play, and visual representations...So that is at least a starting point.

I was just using Kaboom! as an illustration, so it is limited - but I think my analysis offers a rough guideline to extrapolate from. I don't have an infinite amount of time to write. But I will say that there's always a relationship that should be looked for between play/rules, and the visuals & characters. And analyzing these relationships will explain how you personally accept the product.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scrawnto

Ooh, this reminds me of the interactive narrative class I took a year or two ago as part of my B.S. Computer Science: Game Design degree.

@Gamer_152 said:

Secondly and most importantly to me, I don't believe this game is about submission and domination. In fact very few games are, because feeling powerless within a world is not a pleasant sensation, submission and domination is where the game must end but what primarily drives the positive experience of the game is those moments where you are successfully fighting against the bomber, rather than submitting and being dominated, you're actively exerting your skills within the game world and successfully fighting against the computer.

To address this point here, I would agree that the designer/s wanted you to feel joy while you are successfully fighting the computer. However they also clearly designed the game so that you would eventually lose. Once you have agreed to the terms of the game, your defeat is inevitable. The designer/s want you to feel a little let down, hopefully just enough that you want to start over and reclaim the joy you felt while you were doing well. But even if you play a thousand times, the narrative has no happy ending. The mad bomber wins. This is what makes the game the opposite of a "power fantasy," even if it is extremely simple compared to many current games, touching upon only simple emotions such as the joy of success and the disappointment of losing rather than betrayal or sadness.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Scrawnto: Yup, like I said defeat is where it must end but I don't think think you need to let a player down to give them strong incentive to play a game again and I don't think that's necessarily what they designer tried to do with Kaboom! In fact losing can actually be a positive experience and there's empirical evidence to back this up. If the loss is spectacular enough and with the way a game like Kaboom! has you flitting from side to side across the screen, trying to keep up with the ridiculous speed, it certainly seems to be trying to make losing an exciting experience. On a more personal level I can feel disappointment from losing an unwinnable game but that's usually due to the fact I didn't reach some personal goal. When I lose a good unwinnable game I want to jump back in not just to try and rekindle the sense of happiness I had but because I want to see if I can do better the next time round. I agree that in narrative the game's essentially not a power fantasy but in terms of gameplay it's not as simple. For the majority of the game time the player will be superior to the bomber, even if they lose in the end. The way I see it the game slowly turns from being a power fantasy into a kind of anti-power fantasy just before the player loses.

@just_nonplussed: I agree completely.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Scrawnto

@Gamer_152: You have me there. Losing can definitely be a net-postive experience, since it acts as a climax relieving the tension that builds up as you struggle to stay alive (Build up and release of tension is a device common to many forms of media, from games, to music, to movies). Losing can be awesome when it happens in a spectacular way. Even so, if there was no disappointment from losing, there would be no reason to struggle to keep going. That's where those personal goals enter into the equation and also why enjoyment of such games varies significantly from person to person. If you are jumping back in to see if you do better the next time, isn't that because doing better makes you happy? That's the sort of happiness I was talking about. Basically, if you were totally content after only playing once, the designer hasn't really succeeded in a game like Kaboom!

So I think we agree, for the most part. I just wanted to clarify some things. I suppose I may have been a little too abstract about disappointment and joy in relation to this game in particular.

To clarify one more thing, when I said there was no happy ending, I didn't mean that you couldn't be happy when it ended. I just meant there was no explicit "winning" state within the diegesis, where you have defeated the bomber. You can totally win according to the goals that you set for yourself outside of the game world.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By just_nonplussed

I found the original commerical online. Interestingly, that green rectangle is supposed to be a wall. Again though, what doesn't make narrative sense is how the Bomber 'gets faster', and how he 'gets faster' in relation to the bomb diffuser's success. He's a terrorist, not a virus. lol.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Jeez, must be a slow day in the peanut gallery.......