Director's Cut Announced

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut arrives on PS5 and PS4 consoles on August 20 – PlayStation.Blog

After a lot of leaks and document scraping a PS5 version of Ghosts of Tsushima is officially announced. In my opinion the pricing structure is pretty reasonable.

I do wish the PS5 features were free, but eh. That's basically grouped in with the new price of games. Which to be fair, the new game + expansion is $70 so it's more like a deluxe edition.

I fell off the game about 3/4 the way through so looking forward to starting it up again with PS5 proper enhancements.

Diamond_Lime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a fan of these PS5 upgrades, and it seems a bit pricey for something that offers little substance.

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised they put out a patch for 4k 60 on the PS5 if they were planning on releasing a directors cut version. It's because of that patch that I have little interest in upgrading to this version especially for $30.

snaketelegraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The controller stuff will probably be cool with this one but I liked the game a lot so I don't wanna wait until I get a PS5 to play dlc. The price as an expansion seems normal enough and graphically it already looks amazing imo so I don't think I'll miss out too much. I get why people are annoyed at some of the pricing though, it's a good value if you're buying it for the first time but seems less so to go through with a full upgrade.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I do find it strange that they patched the game for ps5 already. Or I guess, commendable if they consciously chose to give people the 4k60 patch knowing they could have lumped it in with this behind the payed upgrade.

I'm excited for more content though, and I want to see their use of haptic feedback since I find that to be a neat feature of the ps5. I bought GoT on a good sale so I don't mind putting in some money for a dlc and ps5 upgrade. It was my favorite game last year. Doesn't do a whole lot that's inventive and new in the genre, but man did it still resonate with me for some reason.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm okay with this pricing structure. I may wait and see exactly what degree of content that new island brings before I upgrade though, if only because just playing the patched PS4 version right now is a pretty incredible upgrade over what it was initially.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 bucks for an upgrade of a late generation first party game is pretty... dicky. But what I played of the game was already gorgeous so if folk want it, they will likely get their money's worth. And maybe the PS4 patch is "most of the way" there

I dunno. I tried maybe the first two hours of GOT and REALLY hated it. The combat was interesting but a bit simplistic (reminded me of the first Assassin's Creed where it was too easy to spam the death counter attack). But the actual gameplay flow was atrocious. I am sure eventually you stop having a borderline family guy flashback after every sentence someone says by the ten hour mark but all the attempts to make it more "cinematic" just felt like people turning off the compass in Oblivion back in the day. In theory it is cool. In practice, there is nowhere near enough data to navigate without a radar so it is constant swiping of the touchpad and trying to see which way the wind is blowing.

And, I'll admit, I was REALLY pissed off that for a game that leaned so hard on samurai movies (to the point of having a Kurosawa mode) couldn't even be bothered to do lip sync for the Japanese dub. Like, I get it costs money (even if contemporary games had no problem spending said money...) but it would have been even more in keeping with the artistic style to make the japanese lip sync the only option and have the english dub play over that. Very much felt like a western studio telling a japanese story and not understanding it in the slightest (but I hear the actual narrative got a lot better later on).

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I haven't played it, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. So I might give the Directors Cut a try. But I agree with how Sony is handling PS4 to PS5 conversions of their games. Its becoming rather silly after what happened with Doom Eternal recently, and its making Microsofts smart program, where upgrades from last gen to next-gen take hardly no effort look so much better.

AlexWGlenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wish I could get the $10 PS5 update by itself and then decide if I was interested in the dlc.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djredbat said:

Surprised they put out a patch for 4k 60 on the PS5 if they were planning on releasing a directors cut version. It's because of that patch that I have little interest in upgrading to this version especially for $30.

It was just a boost in performance, from 30 to 60fps. Not a boost in resolution, so it's still 1440p.

That said, I am not interested in this. If I ever want to go back to the game, I'll just play it again through what they already updated. I didn't love this game (it was fine), so buying it again doesn't sound great.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I’ll buy the PS4 version if the DLC sounds like it’ll be substantial enough to pay 20€ for. The game already runs fine boosted on PS5, so don’t really feel like adding extra 10€ to the price just for 4K and haptic feedback, kinda like with THPS 1+2.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gundato: The upgrade cost is what it is because the director's cut has new expansion content. Like, you can upgrade from the base PS4 version to the PS4 director's cut for $20, or to the PS5 version for $30. Clearly they're valuing the new content at $20 and the generational upgrade at $10.

If someone were only interested in playing the base game on PS5 and didn't care about the new content, the PS5 "back compat plus" patch is free. It doesn't have all the enhancements of this version, but the doubling of the framerate is the most important thing and you get that for free.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gundato

@ll_exile_ll: Which is still 10 dollars more than even Square and the Greedfall devs are charging. Nioh 2 was a bit messy for me since I had put it off waiting for the PC release (that became the PS5 version) but I want to say that was also "free" to owners of the PS4 version? Same with Crash and a bunch of other third parties

But first party? And a late generation first party game at that? Gotta charge money, I guess

If you want to argue the DLC is worth it then go for it. But the full PS5 patch? Even at 10 dollars it is pretty shitty, but completely consistent, of Sony.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Jim Ryan: All PS4 games will get a free upgrade to the PS5 version

Also Jim Ryan: Joking, pay us $30

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: Was this actually said though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@gundato said:

@ll_exile_ll: Which is still 10 dollars more than even Square and the Greedfall devs are charging. Nioh 2 was a bit messy for me since I had put it off waiting for the PC release (that became the PS5 version) but I want to say that was also "free" to owners of the PS4 version? Same with Crash and a bunch of other third parties

But first party? And a late generation first party game at that? Gotta charge money, I guess

If you want to argue the DLC is worth it then go for it. But the full PS5 patch? Even at 10 dollars it is pretty shitty, but completely consistent, of Sony.

I'm not a fan of the upgrade charge myself, but Sony has been pretty consistent with the $10 pricetag. Also, considering they are charging $70 for new PS5 games, that upgrade charge is basically just covering the difference between a $60 PS4 game and a $70 PS5 game.

Sony is definitely behind what some other companies are doing with their free upgrades, but in every generation prior to this these would all be full priced ports or "remasters," so it's still a net good IMO.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll:Like I said: Shtty but consistent. Which is even more shitty

And no, it is not a "net good" when even the other companies using the platform have better policies. Let alone Sony's primary competitor (Microsoft).

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

The Japanese lip sync being locked to the PS5 version is such a shame.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think the only games Sony has given a free upgrade for are Sackboy and Miles Morales. But even with Miles you have to consider if you want that PS5 upgrade for Spider-Man, because it is so far only way to get Spider-Man bundled with it and not stand alone. I think they said Horizon will be a free upgrade, but are they going to charge $70 for the PS4 version? Or are they going to do the optional upgrade if you buy the $70 version, but you can pay $60 with no upgrade? When most developers are going with the free upgrade, or sometimes beyond that even, the few here and there doing the $10 or special edition upgrades doesn't look good.

We still don't know if Gran Turismo or God of War are getting a free upgrade now that they have completely backtracked on there "we believe in generations" talk. Kinda frustrating when its still hard to get a PS5, but hey its ok those games are also on PS4 because huge install base and money, but also hey give us $10 because money! Makes me real hesitant to purchase a game at $60 on release when that developers trend is to ask me for more money down the line for the PS5 version.

And the overall PS5 improvements in Ghost of Tsushima look fairly minor. Dynamic 4k really being the only major thing, and lip sync if you play with the Japanese VO. Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers shouldn't even be on the box.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't buy any late-gen games in anticipation of this so I'm glad that it's happening. $70 for a year old game is steep but I imagine it'll go on sale fairly quickly. It's just nice to have these as PS5-native games even if the changes are minor. The Japanese lip sync alone is huge although it definitely should have been in the base game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#23 sweep  Moderator

The Japanese lip sync being locked to the PS5 version is such a shame.

I was thinking exactly this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I'd rather pick up a used PS4 copy and be fine.