jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jimmyfenix

UPDATE x2

Grand Theft Auto has generated more than $1 billion in revenue within its first three days on sale, Take Two has announced.

In comparison, it took Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 fifteen days to reach $1bn and James Cameron's Avatar seventeen days.

As a result, Take Two believes that GTA 5 hit the $1bn milestone faster than any other entertainment property.

"Grand Theft Auto is a cultural phenomenon and Rockstar Games continues to redefine what can be achieved in interactive entertainment," said Strauss Zelnick, chairman and CEO of Take-Two. "We are incredibly proud of the extraordinary critical and commercial response to Grand Theft Auto V."

Rockstar announced that Grand Theft Auto 5 had achieved $800m worth of revenue within its first 24 hours on sale earlier this week, becoming the fastest-selling game in UK history.

Worldwide sales figures for the game have yet to be announced.

Source

UPDATE

Take-Two has announced that Grand Theft Auto V generated approximately $800 million in sales worldwide during its first 24 hours on sale. According to Take-Two, this marks “the highest first day retail sales of any title in the history of the company and the Grand Theft Auto series.”

Take-Two notes that the figure includes sales across both platforms in all territories, but added that GTA 5 has not yet launched in Japan or Brazil.

"All of us at Take-Two are thrilled with the initial response to Grand Theft Auto V,” said Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick. “Once again, the team at Rockstar Games have outdone themselves, setting the entertainment industry's new standard for creativity, innovation and excellence. Beginning at midnight on Monday, consumers around the world gathered in anticipation to be among the first to experience the evolution of this remarkable series. In North America alone, more than 8,300 stores opened their doors at midnight to welcome fans whose loyalty and enthusiasm were rewarded with what The New York Times called 'the most immersive spectacle in interactive entertainment'. We are incredibly proud of Rockstar Games' creative achievement and could not be more pleased with the success of this launch."

Source

GOD DAMN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you thought Japan's fervour over Monster Hunter was nuts, get a load of this: Grand Theft Auto 5 sold over 1.57 million units in the UK alone in one day.

This makes it the country's fastest-selling video game launch ever.

According to GfK Chart-Track (via GamesIndustry International), GTA5 generated revenues of £65 million across its releases on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

The previous record was held by Call of Duty: Black Ops, which sold 1.41 million units and generated £58 million upon its 9th November, 2010 launch. It's worth noting that Black Ops was also available on PC, Wii, and DS (for some reason), which opened up a lot more avenues for gamers to play it. Just imagine how much more Grand Theft Auto 5 would have sold had it also launched on Steam. The mind reels.

Source

As expected GTA V sold like Hot cakes in the UK.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well deserved, this game is fantastic as fuck.

GAME of the generation

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I kinda hope this really does outsell Call of Duty.

I don't have anything against Call of Duty, by the way, but it would be nice to see something else top sales charts for the first time in ages. If not, then CoD will have had the top spot for 6 years as far as I know.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah I figured it would sell pretty well but that's still impressive

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I haven't even bought mine yet! So they stand to make at least $800,000,070!!!

But seriously, it was pretty nuts to see line ups outside stores again. Extra nuts when you think about the age of the consoles people were lining up to buy that game for.

Kudos R*.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DystopiaX

Yeah I've seen a lot more people get and talk about the game IRL than I have for any other game in a long time. Anecdotally, I went to pick up my copy at a Best Buy maybe an hour and a half after it opened (no midnight launch) and there was a line to pick up preorders, dudes were streaming out of the store with a copy of the game, and I saw a pile of games waiting for pickup from preorder- maybe 30-40 PS3 copies and 10 or so 360 copies (the difference in sales between systems was also interesting to me), and that's not counting the people who came right when the store opened.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Rockstar drops the mic.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It deserves all the monies. I paid full retail price and yet I feel like I ripped them off somehow. I can't even imagine what they could do with new hardware. I'm sure I'll be blown away, again.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well deserved! It's the best game I've played in a loooong time, truly outstanding.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Hunter5024

On the afternoon that it came out I went to pick up my copy at Best Buy, and there were 2 people ahead of me and another person behind me all getting the same thing. I asked the cashier if this was common and he said he hadn't gone 15 minutes without selling a copy that day.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar coming in and showing everyone how it's done! Deserves every single penny this game makes, great fun and the level of detail is amazing so congrats to all the guys who put this baby together!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It must be nice to know that you made back all the money spent on developing this game for the past 5 years in 24 hours.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earned it hard.

If you have a 360 or PS3, stop waiting for the PC version.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well deserved! This game is so effin stunning. its amazing how impressive they are. This is my GOTY. hands down. I dont see a better game than this

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GIyn

Now I want to know the total revenue, when the game is launched on steam. (Do not know if they will bother with next gen consoles / wii u)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Ugh I really want this game I have no money :(

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard

@somejerk said:

Earned it hard.

But man, fuck stumping up £40 just for online. Doubling the price of the game? Nah, I'll wait for the one that runs at 60fps thanks.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That's million bucks

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good luck to them... I am having a blast with it. Im sure a lot of people are getting very drunk in Edinburgh this weekend.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Clearly impressive but I usually find that people who are not directly in the industry and concern themselves with sales numbers kind of weird...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo said:

That's million bucks

This is unironically one of my favorite memes.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@milkman said:

Clearly impressive but I usually find that people who are not directly in the industry and concern themselves with sales numbers kind of weird...

Do you mean like the people who are posting here? Kind of an unnecessary dis.

And anyway, people who cares a lot about games should concern themselves with things like this... because the people that front the money for new, big games sure as hell do. Whether you like it or not, trends are set in the industry by what sells, so it's good to know exactly what that what is.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to be a party pooper, but didn't it probably cost them that much over five years to make it?

800 million? lol. Even Hollywood doesn't go that big.
The total budget for this game including marketing is estimated at around 265 million.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@somejerk said:

Earned it hard.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing stopping is the lack of a PC version...and life in general since I have to focus on doing other things...I've seen some gameplay during live streams and this game is fucking fantastic. Good lord the details in the world and the character banter are top-notch really great stuff and even just by watching it I wanted to play the game so bad. For now I need to focus on getting some stuff in order (board exam review + work) before I go ham with the game playing and hopefully by then a PC version would have been confirmed. ;_;

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

That is alot of dead hookers.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, now THQ can hire out the Staples Center.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew it would sell well, but daaaamn. Good on them. Judging by the reviews it seems well deserved.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, well, the game must've had hype behind it after all!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

Now take all of that money and go buy some dollar menu cheeseburgers.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:
@milkman said:

Do you mean like the people who are posting here? Kind of an unnecessary dis.

And anyway, people who cares a lot about games should concern themselves with things like this... because the people that front the money for new, big games sure as hell do. Whether you like it or not, trends are set in the industry by what sells, so it's good to know exactly what that what is.

Well, I don't think it was ever a question that GTA V was going to sell a shit ton of copies so I'm not sure how many trends this piece of news in particular is going to set. GTA is still very popular. That's no surprise. If we're talking about smaller, more indie stuff, sure, I'll be interested in sales numbers simply because I want those games to succeed if I enjoy them.

But for tent pole games like GTA and Call of Duty, I, personally, really don't care. I don't believe at all that everyone who cares about games should concern themselves with sales. I get it as a curiosity and if the industry stopped being horrible about exposing their sales numbers to the public, that would be great. But people who have this attitude of "oh man, I hope this games sell more than THAT game!", I don't get it. Maybe it's because the business side of this industry (or most industries, really) always seems so shady and gross to me.

I remember when DmC came out all the old Devil May Cry fanboys pointed towards the game's poor sales and said "look Capcom, you betrayed us and now your game is a failure. we win!" And to Capcom executives, maybe they're right but as a consumer, making sure my favorite game sells more than your favorite game isn't interesting to me and even if DmC sold below Capcom's expectations (which I'm sure were unreasonably high, knowing them), I don't think anything about that game is a failure in any way.

But this has become not really a response to this thread. The fact that the game made $800 million in a day is definitely newsworthy and I get why people care. I just decided to take the opportunity to mouth off about a partially separate issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@milkman said:

I would love to know why you think it's weird?

Some people use sales numbers to justify their purchase as if other people are going to be critical of their choice to buy a game.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think that's precisely why I find to be important! I haven't played the new Tomb Raider, but by all accounts it's a not revolutionary but otherwise pretty solid game. When it makes a lot of money, that Suare Enix is somehow disappointed by, it's important to know because it's going to directly effect the similar games that they and others are willing to produce in the future.

Someone saying, "I hope GTA V does better than the new CoD" may just be whining about CoD in general. But they're also implying that they just want more industry confidence in open-world character-based games as opposed to the current mass support for Military themed FPS's.

Of course it's all based on factors other than the pure quality of an individual game, which I agree is completely shady and gross. But that's where the industry still is for now, and it dictates the games that we get, so it's important to be aware. The more you know!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sinusoidal

Not surprising. I've been watching the cost of importing one to Korea rise steadily over the past couple of days. The PS3 version is over the $100 mark. Guess I'm waiting at least a month - possibly longer - for it to get back down to a reasonable level.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Loading Video...

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Earned it hard.

No.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cool, now THQ can hire out the Staples Center.

Came here to make that joke.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:

Earned it hard.

But I have it for the PS3 and I'm still waiting for the PC version

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's almost billion bucks.

That's million bucks

That's almost billion bucks

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit, that's more than THIS many! *splays out hands*

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By bacongames

I think in light of how Take Two centers its financials around GTA releases, I think I'm more interested at what this means for other games coming out in the future. I'll play GTAV eventually, and unlike Red Dead won't make much of an effort to admit defeat and play it consoles, if it comes to PC but I think this is good news for the developers working under 2K.

Maybe this comes with the historical perspective but I find it kind of funny there's so much disproportionate interest when the game is fully within the parameters of games that came before it. At least in 2013 the persistence of this mainstream interest in spite of other video games being just as fine is kind of bizarre independent of the brand. Of course it's the raw dollar evidence of a brand's power that's good to keep in mind when this release will be in the past and we're back to discussing "normal" video game releases.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already bought a physical copy AND the PSN version. And if it does end up coming to PC or PS4, I'll probably buy it again.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

It's usually something worth concerning one self over if you're a fan of a game who's studio/franchise's continued existence is not a sure thing. In the case of GTA though, not so much.