Heroes III: HD Edition is coming in 2015!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo
No Caption Provided

This is amazing news for me. Heroes of Might & Magic hasn't nearly felt as fun since III. I just hope the game 'feels' as good as its improved assets look!

Confirmed features for the HD Edition (taken from the Ubisoft web page:)

• A new HD experience: re-live the Heroes® III in HD, a true craftsmanship which offers players updated graphics, with wide screen compatibility.
  • Enjoy the critically acclaimed Heroes® III gameplay, with 7 exciting campaign scenarios, around 50 skirmish maps, a local multiplayer mode and a map editor.
  • A new online multiplayer lobby tailored for PC: Now Steamworks compatible, the PC version of Heroes® III offers an online multiplayer lobby, where you can share your experience with the Heroes® III community.
  • Play Heroes® III on tablets anywhere: Heroes® III now features iOS and Android tablet versions, upgraded with intuitive touch controls to enjoy this passionate game experience anywhere… anytime.
achoyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought V was alright, but this...this is awesome!

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flaminghobo

Further screens can be found here. I'd upload them to GB but there appears to be some horrible compression going on?

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pkmnfrk

Cool! Just showed this to my room mate who is not typically a gamer, but loves Heroes III. We just spent 30 minutes arguing about how there will not be a CD version, it will only be on Steam.

"But, I hate Steam! You know that!"

"Uh, you've never ever said that before."

"Yeah! The thing that pops up when I just want to play the game, it's terrible!"

"OH, you mean UPlay. Yeah, okay, I don't know whether that'll be there."

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Man I love this series.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By RavenX302

Fucking incredible. Still play it off and on ever sense launch day way back when...None of the new ones matched the speed and 'simple' complexities of 2 to 4, and 3 is by far the best.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

One of the best games of all time. Looking forward to it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not 100% sold, considering the track record of recent remasters of stuff I love (hey, fuck you, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, I hope you burn on a pile of shit), especially since the fans have been already working on something like this that would also integrate HoMM3 with a lot of shit, including the exquisite mod Wake of Gods.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By Danteveli

I'm a bit bummed that its just base game. The two expansions add quite a lot to the title. Especially considering what modding community did with that packet. Still will get this one as soon as it pops up on steam and my tablet.

Oh and Polish Ubisoft page states that suggested retail price is around 20$.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oodli

Yesssssssss :D

Just don't touch the gameplay please, it's perfect as it is!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By EuanDewar

I do find something oddly intimidating about how bad the models in the original look, but I'm happy they're doing this update of course. Had a lot of fun with this game, even if I'm not particularly good at it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@arbitrarywater, shouldn't you be in this thread already?

I was asleep! Otherwise I would've been on this immediately. Heroes III is a classic and arguably the best in the series (I am willing to say nice things about the rest of them as well), though I've become increasingly partial to Heroes V as time has gone on.

I've become pretty wary of "updates" to classic games I love, especially in regards to how necessary they are. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition didn't do a whole lot that couldn't already be covered with a handful of mods and of course introduced its own bugs that they had to clean up. I'll give Ubisoft credit on this one, they're going beyond what fan mods can do by cleaning up the sprites and throwing in a modern multiplayer client. Still, no expansions? Probably going to cost twice as much as the GOG version? Bleh. BLEH.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeeeeessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeiNile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it is cool that they are updating the sprites and are adding in a working multiplayer client, but it seems a bit underwhelming. Not including the expansions seems like an oversight. It just does not seem substantial enough, or am I crazy?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By viking_funeral

NeoGaf is showing that Ubisoft is releasing down resed images to make the new upgrade look better than it actually is:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=949321

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Damn, Ubisoft. I know it is not your year, but that's no reason to shoot yourself in the foot.

Fushichou187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fushichou187
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I wonder if those shots are taken from the original game running at the lowest resolution/graphics detail possible, or if Ubi actually took the art assets and lowered the resolution themselves.

But yeah, original HoMM3 doesn't even look that bad since the models used for the prerendered sprites were of a much higher quality than most strategy games would've been able to include at the time (in actual 3D). It's like Donkey Kong Country, if they weren't limited to the memory of the SNES. Also I still really like just staring at the town screens in HoMMM3.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ghostiet

This whole inverse bullshot shit is ridiculous. Fuck you, Ubisoft, I used to like you, but this year you are trying to shoot off your own calf. Although, they're not the only fools to try this sort of crap:

No Caption Provided

Also, just Restoration of Erathia? No Shadow of Death and Armageddon's Blade? Yup, I'll just wait for the fan remaster.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By flaminghobo

It appears either Ubisoft or the Might & Magic team have stepped forward and clarified how much of an improvement the game's graphics in the HD edition are:

No Caption Provided

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The use the map images to compare against battle images.

A screw up for sure but they didn't make new bad assets.

rudromithun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my all time fav game.