User Lists: 4

It's never coming out is it

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It'll come out. This is not the first small team game to get delayed over and over. Cuphead came out and it was great despite all the delays.

The issue here is that you have a team with a lot of passion and perfectionism and high expectations and basically unlimited funding from a prior project. It's a recipe for a very long and delayed development cycle.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Team Cherry is like three people. This was originally going to be an expansion pack and then they pivoted towards it being its own thing.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: People loved Hollow Knight and they really want another game as good as Hollow Knight but then they get mad because making a game as good as Hollow Knight is very very hard and takes a long time with a lot of reworking stuff and polish time.

I kickstarted Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and when the first demos and impressions came out people hated them. Then the game got delayed a bunch and when it finally came out people generally loved it (as did I.)

But for some reason people don't connect the lengthy delays to the end product actually being what they wanted (though to be fair Bloodstained was much wackier than I expected...I just didn't mind.)

Not every delayed game has this story; many come out awful (like Skull & Bones) but small team games with adequate funding have a better track record with delays leading to a good end product.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'll come out. I'm happy they're taking their time with it. One of the thing that made Hollow Knight fun was the sheer variety of areas, enemies and powers, so the extra time taken for Silksong will hopefully make it that much bigger and more varied.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I definitely don't mind them taking their time with it if it means it'll be the game they want it to be. And I have confidence that it will be.

Still never actually finished that first game. I think I completed about 90% of it and then got caught up in something else. I should either go back and finish it or, maybe better, just play it again from scratch. I remember thinking that it was the best 2D Souls-like I'd ever played, with apologies to James Silva.

No one cares I'm sure, but I feel some slight kinship with the devs because they're based in Adelaide (Australia), and my dad was born and raised there. Though I haven't been back for about 20 years.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, it'll come out (eventually).

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Misclicking on this thread lead me to this ancient thread where I said:

@wollywoo said:

I loved the first game. Strangely enough, I wasn't quite that excited for a sequel, because I felt I had had my fill. But seeing the new moveset and all - I am excited! And Hornet is a much more interesting character than the... dude from the first game. I hope she gets dialogue.

I kind of hope it doesn't come in 2019. I'd like them to get really ambitious with this one.

I certainly got my wish!