Hotline Miami Coming to PS3 and Vita this Spring

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dennaton Games Devolver Digital have announced that the award-winning Hotline Miami will arrive on the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) this coming spring.

Tumblr/ Press Release

I loved this game on PC and I bet it will be great on the Vita.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

radical, those guys deserve it

also the vita deserves to have games on it!

(a match made in heaven)

also cool to see the giant bomb score on it.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Great decision, the game will work great on Vita. Defo day one purchase for me

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My Vita's library will become a lot sexier with this in the lineup.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

The Vita sounds like a great platform to play this on. Hopefully they'll sell well.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Happy for you all Playstation folks, it's a fantastic game. I imagine this game would work well on the Vita.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How's that Mac version coming along, I wonder. The one that was supposed to release 4 months ago.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I am a huge hotline miami fan but i would say stick with the pc version, the speed and precision of mouse and keyboard makes this game amazing while using a controller is nothing but clunky

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh this should be great, this game was way better with a controller anyway. Horrendous crimes on the go!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

That's awesome. Good for those dudes.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Still waiting for Mac.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, with cross-buy this is kind of a no-brainer. I'll actually have some non-remake/PS1 games to play on my Vita, sweet!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does that mean that now controller support on the PC isn't as hit-or-miss as it was at launch?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta

I remain pretty skeptical of the actual substance of the game, but it being available on the PS3 and Vita makes me way more likely to give it a try.

do you just mean length? it took me 2 hours, which is roughly equal to a movie in both price and length... and it's pretty fun to replay.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Dennaton Games Devolver Digital have announced that the award-winning Hotline Miami will arrive on the PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) this coming spring.

Whelp, time to cancel the press conference this Wednesday. Sony doesn't have any reason to announce anything else ever.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@grantheaslip said:

I remain pretty skeptical of the actual substance of the game, but it being available on the PS3 and Vita makes me way more likely to give it a try.

do you just mean length? it took me 2 hours, which is roughly equal to a movie in both price and length... and it's pretty fun to replay.

I mean how fun the game, independent of the cool atmosphere, is to play.

I’ve heard way more about the music than the gameplay, and what I’ve heard about the gameplay (repetitive, twitchy, memorization-heavy) doesn’t sound fun to me. Obviously I haven’t played it, so take that with a grain of salt.

it's basically old school GTA + super meat boy. with more violence.

I do love the game though, not just for the music but because it's fun to play.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that's awesome. More people getting to experience this game is a good thing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I dunno man.... I think playing with a controller would be hard sometimes you really have to whip around the mouse to execute a series of dudes flawlessly or else you die. Still, glad everyone is getting a chance to try this but I think I might stick with my PC copy. =)

bitchypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerned said:

How's that Mac version coming along, I wonder. The one that was supposed to release 4 months ago.

my thoughts exactly.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Nilazz

cool news!

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@kerned silly man, no one cares about Mac. I've been asking Jonatan for months about the release and he always dodges the question.

I'm not sure how it will play out on the PS3 or Vita. I tried to play it with a 360 controller on my PC just to see how it went and I have to say I found it almost impossible. The mouse just works perfectly for the twitch action you need in combat.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

5/5 Giantbomb.com - right there. We made it guys.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Anyone pick this up today? I've got a 32gb memory card coming in tomorrow to replace my 4gb card. I'll be getting it then.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mosespippy

I'm waiting for reviews first. Hotline Miami seems like the sort of game where you need the precision of a mouse.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By buemba

Played the first 2 levels on the Vita. The controls feel much less precise so I'm not confident enough to fly through the levels like a maniac as I did in the PC version, but maybe I just need to get used to them.

Weirdly, since I have a Japanese Vita the "accept" button is O but all the screen prompts still display X.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ProfessorEss

@buemba: Miami Hotline's a weird one. I could see any slight change to the input device having game changing effects.

I'd be curious to hear an update if you discover that it was more a matter of re-learning than it being a questionable port.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HerbieBug

Curious about the control solutions made to make it compatible with controller.

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professoress: So, played 4 more levels and it most definitely is a slower game on the Vita. Not literally (The game obviously runs at the same speed as on the PC), but you do need to be more methodical and careful in how you approach each room. Melee weapons are pretty much unchanged and moving your character with analog input is nice, but the moment you have to throw or shoot a weapon you'll definitely wish you had a mouse's precision.

You know those moments in the PC version where you found yourself surrounded by 3 enemies rushing straight at you from different directions and you could shoot one before he got close, throw your now empty gun at another, grab a baseball bat and bash the third and finally close in and stomp the second guy's head while he was flat on the ground? That can still happen on the Vita, but it feels more like blind luck than actual skill, and at least in my case I'm trying to avoid those situations as much as possible because with the Vita's analog stick I miss 50% of my ranged attacks performed under pressure. You can use the touch screen to tap an enemy in order to lock on, but doing that in the middle of a fight is a great way to die.

It's still an awesome port that's well worth buying, but no way it's better than the PC version.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5
deactivated-5f71e1dc474f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I've played Hotline Miami and all I can say is wow.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Live2bRighteous

@demoskinos: I thought like this way before... but then I realized, if it uses controls like one in a arcade shooter, (Move thumbstick to shoot + aim at the same time, a good example being "I made a game with zombies in it") while you just use the trigger button to hit, left trigger to throw... I could see it being playable.

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished the PC version with M+K, thought it was great. Just started playing the Vita version and it's equally as fun! Don't need the extra 2 triggers from the PS3 version, and I'm reacting a lot faster to goons than before. I feel the controls let me play a bit more instinctively and complete levels faster without having to plan and wait as much.

Definitely surreal that I get to have this fantastic game in my pocket at all times, but I love it!

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, glad to hear the vita version controls well. I'll have to pick it up later today.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Nadafinga

@seb said:

First time I've played Hotline Miami and all I can say is wow.

Me too. I got it on my newly purchased Vita, and I'm really enjoying it. I can see how some of the aiming would be easier with a mouse, but the game is a lot of fun and since I've never played it before I haven't had to "unlearn" the controls or anything like that.

For those that are curious, the controls are:

left analog: move

right analog: aim

L1: pick-up/throw weapon

R1: swing/fire

X: finishing punch

You can also tap a character on the touchscreen to lock onto him, and drag the screen to look around the room.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone played it on PS3? Was going to pick it up but heard it doesn't control very well

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@pessh: I say it controls really well. In fact I got a lot better with a controller than mouse and keyboard. I go as far to say that the vita makes targeting guys better with the touch screen.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@pessh said:

Anyone played it on PS3? Was going to pick it up but heard it doesn't control very well

Played the first four chapters through this morning on PS3, controls just fine, very similar to the Vita controls.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skooks: @metalsnakezero: Thanks guys, picked it up and you're right, it's fine, really enjoying it so far, hard to stop playing.

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By mason20

@animasta: Wow, 2 hours really? I'm almost ashamed to say how long it took me. Good on ya buddy.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By datarez

After playing a few levels the right stick control feels a bit too sensitive or something but otherwise still having fun with it. Maybe it's new to a vita and getting used to the right stick from always playing the psp.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've been playing the new Beta build for PC lately and honestly I can't play it with a gamepad. I feel that much like The Swapper some situations require a mouse. Still it's great that people can enjoy it on the PS3 and Vita as it's an amazing game.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By colourful_hippie

That's fantastic!