Lords of the Fallen (Yay or Nay?)

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fellow Duders,

I just completed Bloodborne, which by the way, is the first Souls-esque game I've actually saw through until the end; I love the punishing gameplay, but I can never quite get into the atmosphere or narrative, which are the most important aspects of a game for me. (I'd take story over gameplay any day.)
Every time I sit down to play with these games I almost feel like I have to "force" myself to continue on. I never really get lost in them, yet I always seem to come back for more.

With all that being said, is Lords of the Fallen worth a try?It's obviously channeling that same gameplay feel, but does it actually have a cohesive narrative/character development? Something that will keep you coming back for more, other than the allure of beating another boss and gaining more souls/echoes.

Thanks!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@betterley: Moved to the Lords of the Fallen forum. Please try and keep threads in their relevant areas. Thanks!

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nay.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nay. It's a bad Dark Souls clone. It doesn't do anything unique to stand out and what it copies from Dark Souls it copies badly.

As far as the story goes - it's technically there, but it's a mess. There were multiple instances of characters meeting for the time, followed by the same characters discussing things they couldn't possibly know about each other, followed by conversations where they barely know each other again. It feels like the devs had ambitions for this grand story but had no ability to actually pull it off.

If you haven't gotten Scholar of the First Sin yet, I'd pick that up instead. I can't say I found the story elements as gripping as the original Dark Souls, but the overall game is worlds better than Lords of the Fallen.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Nay.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By The_Ruiner

Dark Souls with no character creation and a lame tough guy protagonist is a no-go for me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It's obviously channeling that same gameplay feel, but does it actually have a cohesive narrative/character development? Something that will keep you coming back for more, other than the allure of beating another boss and gaining more souls/echoes.

Not even remotely.

The story in LotF is overt yet completely forgettable.

I'd say it also misses the mechanical feel of the Souls games by a mile and then some.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

I bought it a few weeks ago. It sure is trying to do the Souls thing. I'm not sure how it stacks up for fans of that series, but it seemed marginally more accessible, I guess. I don't know, accessibility was never my problem with those games. I just don't enjoy them, and I'm not particularly certain why. Maybe for the same reasons you have trouble with the series. So, maybe it was foolish to buy the proclaimed "Dark Souls lite".

Anyway, I don't regret the purchase, it was cheap and I got a few hours of entertainment out of it. I might even push myself to go back to it, one day. But, that said, I probably wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I didn't see much compelling about it, narratively speaking, but I was very early on when I quit playing. There were definitely hints at something there, but it could just as easily end up being another generic fantasy romp as it could be anything compelling.

Neh?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it, but couldn't get into it (just like dark souls though). I think i put the most time into bloodborne, but ended up stopping after getting lost and never going back to it (just like dark souls lol)

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I've never played it, but I do like the aesthetic. That's all I can say about it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nay. It is a soulless copy of a good game that doesn't understand why the other game was good to begin with. It also adds very little to the genre.

Bargain bin game maybe. But honestly, it's not really worth it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rafaelfc

Sounds like you would enjoy Witcher 3 a whole lot (if you aren't playing it already).

Combat can be a bit punishing and it's very narrative driven.

P.S.: seems like a "check the power cord" suggestion... but sometimes it works!

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher series is probably my favorite franchise.
Witcher 1 is a perfect example of narrative over combat... that rhythm clicking... I like the Witcher 3 so much I'm afraid to play it, if that makes sense.
Kinda' like a kid who gets a new bike and doesn't want to ride it because he's afraid it may get a scratch.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll pass on LOTF.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti

@betterley said:

Kinda' like a kid who gets a new bike and doesn't want to ride it because he's afraid it may get a scratch.

100% know the feeling.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You will enjoy LotF a lot more if you look at it like a Darksiders kinda game, and not a souls type game. If you like games similar to Darksiders, you may like this game. If you are looking for a Souls experience, you wont.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Good game, I'd suggest playing it when you're in a dearth for Souls content, so probably like December or something. Unlike the Souls games you can do everything in around 50 hours, but it doesn't feel like a fleeting experience in the slightest.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By bceagles128

I'm confused. You like story over gameplay but you LIKED bloodborne. Bloodborne has very good gameplay and pretty much no story (even less than the Souls games).... The Souls games are pretty much all about gameplay. If you liked story over gameplay, play Telltale games.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nay

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Canteu

It's basically in the same boat as DS2. Made by people who have no idea what made the first game great, missing the feel, world, lore and aesthetic values of what came before it., just worse.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bceagles128:

I said I finished Bloodborne, but couldn't get into the atmosphere. I did enjoy the gameplay, but that's not the most important factor for me.

Speaking of Telltale, I do enjoy their games.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd probably pick it up if it were $5 or less.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I really liked it. It's like an arcadey souls game

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raspharus

@tajasaurus: Lmao. This is pretty much the entire verdict. Anyways if you get it dont buy it for pc cause it's unoptimized as hell.

So nay

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Meh? I don't know, I enjoyed moments in it, but there is a definite lack of polish that the souls games have. It's serviceable and if it's something you really want to try I don't think it's wasted money, but it seems like a game most people will have forgotten about by this time next year.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

As someone who never played a "souls" game I loved it. Had a blast and it felt like a decent length. I'm now on Bloodborne and hooked on the game style.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's fine, 2 day old thread. My only problem with it is I disagree with their animation choices on weapons I prefer to use. I'm not sure what their were thinking with them, but I know why they did it too.

It's not better than Dark Souls 2, which isn't better than Dark Souls 1, but it's still a fine game and worth checking out even if you get it cheap.

So, Yes.