The Quiet Justification. SPOILERS

• 158 results
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@theht: You should listen to the bombcast this week. Jeff makes some great points about the whole Quiet thing. I personnaly beat MGSV and I think Quiet is a great character. A great character constantly being undercut by obvious "fanservice".

I'm not talking about cloths here (even though their justification for that is paper thin). I'm talking about the constant nonsensical boob shots, dumb jiggle physics and ass shots. There is no justification for those aside from Kojima/the expected player base must really like T&A so let's show a bunch of that. It's not good story telling, it's just baseless objectification.

I have actually! And I generally agree with him. It's not some grossly offensive thing.

The "fan-service" stuff like leering camera shots and the shower scene are pretty fuckin lame, though I will say that the rain scene played out to me more like some artsy interpretive dance shit rather than a sexy dance. That said, titillation (whether it's effective for you or not) isn't always objectification. In that regard, I'd also agree that claims of objectification here are baseless.

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ddi_kazal_st_drebin: Voting with your dollar and influencing the market only works when you have a large group or many dollars and a wide variety of choices.

Games like metal gear 5 are not commodities and thus the market won't show the true demand for this game with quiet compared to a this game without. If a person wants 90% of what is presented in mgsv that will still be a sale. At the same time a purchase of the game cannot be viewed as an endorsement of the entire contents of the game - a competitor can release a similar, more conservative game and reap the rewards of market preference.

That is, if you think the market preference is away from well-endowed females in thongs. I'm not versed in game demographics to say decisively, but I'd expect the opposite.

We also cannot discount the influence of genetic preference for attractive partners, even if we all admit that this is simply a base instinct.

I understand-that is why complaint with action is what is needed. All the conversation that has swarmed around that character would have been great with a slump in sales. I think the people who are disgruntled with the norm in gaming represent enough of force that dollars and influence can change developers minds. What's more i believe that this is wide variety of choices in games for people to spend their dollars on else where.

The creator of the game will look at sales as an endorsement. If someone puts out an album with one track of offensive material but the rest is "fine" if that album goes platinum the artist will see it as an endorsement of the entire product.

Instead what I fear is that the buzz around this character and the sales of the product and merchandise will do more to embolden developers to continue what gets them paid.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@theht: Yeah, it's a bummer with those people. Good people can make mistakes just as well. No one should condemn them over stuff they made. I don't like this part of Quiet, but I wouldn't say Kojima and Shinkawa are bad people for designing it, just that there may be things they could have done better. There's craft involved in storytelling and nobody can do it perfectly.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester said:

The photosynthesis part is completely bonkers btw. The avg photosynthetic rate of a c3* plant circa. 15 micromol CO2/m^2/sec**.

The "leaf area" of Quiet is her skin so ca. 16000 cm^2*** if she is lying prone sniping is only half of that active so 8000 cm^2 or 0,8m^2 if we make sure the conditions are ideal in therms of available water, temperature don't exceed optimum**** ignoring photorespiration etc and say there are 12hours = 43200 seconds of active photosynthesis. can we calculate the production.

15*0,8*43200 = 518400 micromoles or 0,5184 moles CO2 used

if we then use this formula:

6H2O + 6CO2 + energy → C6H12O6 + 6O2

and use the Molar mass of C6H12O6 = 180.15588 g/mol can we calculate that quiet is producing 93.39 grams of sugar or 355,6 kcal a day, a far cry from the 2000 needed. Even if her entire area somehow was active would she only produce 187 grams or 711,3 kcal while still staving to death.

She would have to increase her photosynthetic rate to 43 co2 mikromol/m2/sec**** way beyond the limit of even the most efficient plants. There is also the problem of where she is getting enough macro and micro nutrients without a root system.

But heynanomachines magical parasites son I guess.

*most plants are c3

**although it varies much

***quick google search

**** not very likely

***** still amusing all of the area is active

I was going to get to surface area (as all biology is basically in service of it), but you did a great job on the numbers. I was willing to concede (not having gotten the game) that photosynthesis was more shorthand for some advanced (nanomachines) photovoltaic system, but it appears not.

deathofrats360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@audiobusting:

I don't think people in this thread are condemning Kojima or the rest of Kojima Productions, they're criticizing the game. Being a pervert or liking perverted things doesn't make you a bad person. Nor does making things with objectification in it.

Not only should gamers who take offense at these types of critiques should separate themselves from the games and not take it personally, but they should realize that people aren't talking about the designers being bad people, just the games having some problems.

I'm sure most designers can take the criticism of their work. Most artists can. Most artists welcome that criticism, even if it's not pretty.

Criticism of a game is just that, criticism of a game. It's not criticism of its audience or its designers. And to take it as such... Well, those are the people jumping to be offended at everything.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huser: I could have gone with the clean n dirty physics approach but I feel biology highlights the absurdity better.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#158  Edited By TheHT

@theht: Yeah, it's a bummer with those people. Good people can make mistakes just as well. No one should condemn them over stuff they made. I don't like this part of Quiet, but I wouldn't say Kojima and Shinkawa are bad people for designing it, just that there may be things they could have done better. There's craft involved in storytelling and nobody can do it perfectly.

I think you've misunderstood. The point is that there is a distinction between real-world contexts of a work of fiction and the context of within the work itself.

Fictional characters outside of the work's internal context are obviously without agency, just as all other elements of the fictional world exist as tailored contructs that click together to create a story. They do not actually exist. Acknowledging that alone says nothing of the character's implied agency within that internal context, nor does it provide any particular revelations for criticisms of a work.

Basically I was saying it's a moot point to highlight the mere fact that fictional characters are fictional.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Found this floating around the internet, figured this was an appropriate place for it.

No Caption Provided

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#161  Edited By mithhunter55

This less revealing top makes no difference.

Anyways the good point made (I think by Brad) is would you be embarrassed if someone thought you were in this. Which I take to mean, having a subservient mostly naked lady. Despite that over the game I loved her character and how much character is conveyed by her motions and actions. She is a badass, and you can get her some normal clothes later.

No Caption Provided

Also I wish this were a costume for snake.

@vocalcannibal said:

Found this floating around the internet, figured this was an appropriate place for it.

No Caption Provided

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sexuality is far more prevalent in Japanese pop culture, and accepted. I don't see how this is a "western" issue.

Taargus_435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XOF suit is pretty cool.

Avatar image for thefantasticfillip
TheFantasticFillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ashamed of my words and deeds.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By OurSin_360

Seems like this topic is dead, but i have thoughts and don't want to make a new one. My thoughts (All the spoilers for the entire game)

First off I have major issues with her design and usage in the game. I would be fine with the idea that she needs to be around the sun etc because of the parasites on her body, if every other parasite covered character was half naked. Why isn't code talker running around the base in a thong awkwardly stretching so you can see his ass? There isn't anything sexy about her design to me, she honestly creeped me the fuck out half the time when in the chopper (especially when she gets right up in your face after your bond is maxed out, i literally jumped cause i was checking the idroid and didn't expect it lol). Having her as a buddy is great, but she is the only human character there so her gross sexualization is really apparent when she is put in the same boat as a fucking dog , robot, and a horse!. Seems like a real shitty way to view a woman to me? Even on the base you hear the female soldiers talking like twilight fans about kaz and ocelot, wtf?

Otherwise her character was pretty damn cool, once i got the XOF uniform i kept using that so it wasn't so goddamn awkward having her in the ACC. Her backstory and realizing it was her that tried to kill you in the begging and your fault she ended up with the parasites caught me off guard actually. And her leaving was pretty well done when she finally speaks(besides the time in the beginning of the game when she tries to murder you), although the whole soldier killing her and trying to rape her after was fucking unnecessary.