Have you ever spent money on a MOBA?

• 66 results
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Poll Have you ever spent money on a MOBA? (220 votes)

Yes - I've bought characters, cosmetic items, or both. 63%
No - I play or have played MOBAs but strictly on a Free to Play basis 23%
I've never played a MOBA. 15%

With more people getting into MOBAs lately thanks mainly to Heroes of the Storm, I'm wondering how many of you have spent money on these things? I've only played a little bit of HoTS and it hasn't fully got it's hooks in me yet, but I'm trying to keep that a strictly free to play game and not spend any money on it. By the looks of how the different daily quests and gold rewards are structured, it probably shouldn't be too hard to do.

What about you? Are you more towards my end of the spectrum, or do your MOBA spending habits make Brad's pale in comparison?

• 
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Not a MOBA, but I did give Marvel Heroes 2015 $10 since I've played over 600 hours I thought I should at least kicked them a few bucks.

>_< I don't even want to think of how much money I dropped into Marvel Heroes 2015 over the past 2 years.

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Froghourt

I have played 870 hours of dota, have not spend any money on it besides what I got in my steam wallet by selling stuff I didn't want.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I spent... a not insubstantial amount of money on League of Legends when I played it. Not "hundreds of dollars" crazy or anything like that, but maybe somewhere in the $75-100 range. I also spent a few hundred hours playing that game, so I don't feel especially regretful about that stuff. I've made dumber purchases on Steam sales.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I bought a couple Heroes of the Storm characters totaling less than 10 bucks. Played it for 20 hours or so and I figured $10 was a good price point.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I played League I spent around 20-30 dollars to get the heroes I wanted to play in ARAM. Pro tip: Nidalee, Sona, and Soraka are freaking BROKEN in that game mode. Ziggs is also ridiculously stupid as well.

I bought the Compendium for both this year and last year in DOTA2, though I haven't bought any cosmetic items.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Nope I just can't bring myself to remotely care about the genre.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#57  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've bought the AirMech soundtrack and that Lord of the Rings MOBA, which seemed interesting at the time, but which I never got around to play.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58  Edited By cornbredx

Ya, I've bought skins in both LoL and DOTA2 when I was checking them out for a couple months. I also bought a few keys in DOTA2 and a carrier (the awesome dachsund one I forget the name of now). I did it to support the games because I get why people like them and feel they were worth supporting.

I like HOTS a lot, but there isn't anything on that I really wanna spend money on so I haven't actually bought anything yet with real money. Just characters for gold. I will if there's ever a skin I want for a character I like. I do really like the Kaiju outfit for Diablo so maybe...

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes I bought the God Pack for Smite and multiple stim packs on HotS

NinjaPartTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By NinjaPartTime

I sold a Team Fortress 2 item and invested that money into some limited edition item in Dota 2, which I held on to for awhile and then sold it and used the money for a game. I never spent any of my own money in this process so I don't think it counts... Aside from that, I've been playing Heroes of the Storm since beta. I've played about 500 matches in it, I think, but recently broke down and bought the Kerrigan skin they had on sale because it was only a few dollars and I really dislike the default Kerrigan skin for some reason.

I think the HotS retail boxed bundle you can buy in a physical store is a pretty good deal and definitely would have picked it up if I didn't already have most of those characters when the game launched. I also don't think there's anything wrong with supporting a game you like and have invested a lot of your time into.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By bceagles128

I played the original DOTA on Warcraft III. Spent money on WC3 but not on DOTA. Haven't played a MOBA since.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I threw down 10 bucks for the DOTA2 Stanley Parable Announcer Pack. If I was still playing, I'd probably chuck a few dollars at the Rick and Morty pack as well.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#63  Edited By MormonWarrior

Nope. And I was so proud of myself at a recent housewarming party when people were comparing their League of Legends times in their accounts...hundreds or thousands of hours, and mine was about ten minutes. It was beautiful.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By TheHT

There was a cool PA costume I got. That's about it I think. So around 3 or 4 bucks.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Been playing MOBAs since the DotA Allstars days and spent a grand total of Zero dollars out of pocket so far. I've used earned in game currency for thingamajigs before though.

That being said, I don't think people who do spend $$ should feel bad. Chances are you will ultimately pay less per hour for one of these than most any other game out there. In fact I kinda feel bad that I haven't spent anything since I do enjoy the games, I just don't care about hats at all.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd say I'm between 80-100$ on Heroes of the storm!

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent $589.79 USD in Dota 2 according to Steam. With more than 1600 hours in it, I'd say it's worth it. Of course a lot of it comes from what is basically gambling with chests around the times of The International, but I love the game and really do enjoy customizing the heroes.

Also, I bought a demihero statuette of Death Prophet and it showed up today, ended up being the gold version, which came with a code for a Gold Trove Carafe. Got a gold Huntling courier worth about $200. Definitely keeping it.