• 60 results
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By alistercat

Even though I ordered directly from Nintendo, I still got my new Majora's Mask 3DS XL 2 days early. You would think that they wouldn't want their stuff out there early. I know I'm not the only one but I figured I'd open up for some questions if you're on the fence or curious. I also got a skull kid figure with it. It's better than I thought but feels very cheap.

No Caption Provided

Ask away!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I doubt they care about it getting out early as it's been available in Japan and Australia for months.

Have you noticed any framerate differences in any games that aren't Smash or Monster Hunter?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Does it fit in your old carry case assuming you have one?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish: I don't have one, but this is the XL model, which fits in all previous XL carry cases. I can't say definitively, but the regular new 3DS probably does not fit a regular only size case.

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are the extra L R buttons?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Good point. Though I doubt they like 'street dates' being broken anywhere. Haven't had a chance to test yet, this transfer process is a pain.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gosh im so on the fence about upgrading my regular 3ds to this. I might wait for xenoblade. Does it feel heavy?

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By MaKiNbAcoN

Did you get the charging cradle? If so how is it?

How does it actually feel in your hand? Also how accurate are the reviews for the headtracking 3D?

Thanks! Enjoy dude! I get mine on Sunday (grumble grumble valentines day)!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slyspider: While Xenoblade does look impressive, it looks quite a bit worse than the Wii version. There was a comparison posted the other day. I would get it for Wii, unless you want it portable.

It does not feel any heavier than the XL. I just held both in my hands and there was maybe the tiniest bit of difference but basically none. Same ticknesses, same size, same shape. Over the regular, I cannot say.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I saw one in my local Best Buy and messed with it a bit. That tiny second analog stick didn't move at all on that model and it felt really sticky, not so much because of gunk but more because of the material it was made out of. Is that true of yours?

I'm still kinda bummed that Nintendo put more processing power in this one and that means I might have to buy a New 3DS if I want to play some later-generation games without framerate hitches (or maybe even some at all). That still comes across as pretty shitty to me. If you feel like you're going to need more processing power next time, Nintendo, then put more fucking processing power in it in the first place.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are the extra L R buttons?

They feel great. A little small, but the plastic is hard and the resistance is good. They're slightly raised so as you brush your fingers along from the regular triggers you can feel that you've placed your fingers on the extra triggers.

No Caption Provided

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: that's a little unreasonable, as it would have delayed the next iteration of the hardware from the DS even longer. And by that reasoning, like with apple products, you might as well always wait cause there will always eventually be something better. They used the best tech vs cost effectiveness at the time. This iteration may have been put off a year and branded as a new console, though; it will possibly cause confusion and be too much of a half measure.

Still probably gonna pick one up come Friday..

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

I saw one in my local Best Buy and messed with it a bit. That tiny second analog stick didn't move at all on that model and it felt really sticky, not so much because of gunk but more because of the material it was made out of. Is that true of yours?

It is a rubbery nub, and doesn't move. It isn't a stick. It feels really crappy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258: that's a little unreasonable, as it would have delayed the next iteration of the hardware from the DS even longer. And by that reasoning, like with apple products, you might as well always wait cause there will always eventually be something better. They used the best tech vs cost effectiveness at the time. This iteration may have been put off a year and branded as a new console, though; it will possibly cause confusion and be too much of a half measure.

Still probably gonna pick one up come Friday..

I'm not terribly happy that phones upgrade every year either, but I also don't play many games on my phone or do anything terribly resource-intensive, so it doesn't affect me all that much.

I would be A-OK with this if Nintendo had decided to come out with a whole new handheld. The 3DS came out in, what, 2011? It would have been perfectly reasonable to release a full-on successor in 2016, rather than a half-step in 2015.

In any case, I really like my 3DS, I really like Nintendo, and I'm not so angry that I won't buy a new 3DS if it proves itself to be enough of an upgrade. I just wish they would have released a whole new handheld instead.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 do you think that Nintendo will reveal a new handheld at this E3? for release maybe in 2017? Or think they will ride the New 3DS for a while?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@believer258: @ripelivejam: I would honestly wait until there are enough games that make use of the extra power before getting one. And lest we forget: the amount of games that used the DSi features were really slim...

I somehow doubt that the New 3DS is going to mean anything in the long run though. If Nintendo was actually serious about this, they would've incorporated the new features in the 2DS (which isn't even 6 months old!!).

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon said:

Did you get the charging cradle? If so how is it?

How does it actually feel in your hand? Also how accurate are the reviews for the headtracking 3D?

Thanks! Enjoy dude! I get mine on Sunday (grumble grumble valentines day)!

No cradle. Feels exactly the same. The headtracking seems fantastic so far. It isn't smooth in the sense that it can follow you perfectly if you pan your head left and right, but it does find you again after a second so unless you're moving around a whole lot it isn't a big deal. I didn't get the blur where I can see both images when I moved my head. So... good job nintendo?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Corevi
@makinbacon said:

@believer258 do you think that Nintendo will reveal a new handheld at this E3? for release maybe in 2017? Or think they will ride the New 3DS for a while?

I think unveil at E3 2016 for holiday 2017 release. That's almost 3 years from now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

why do the gods favour you?! = /

Have you upgraded the SD card? if so how did you find the process?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

CAN I HAVE IT!?

No, that's awesome.

GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Who do you think this thing is for? People without an XL already? I'm curious about the market interest on this. I'm in Canada, so when all is said and done, this thing costs 270$. As someone with an XL and a circle pad pro already, the benefits of this thing seem incredibly minor for the cost. Improved texture quality and some slightly better framerate out of games going forward seems nice, but not 270$ nice. Is the difference in processing power enough to satisfy your purchase? I guess at some point this comes down to personal finances, but this thing seems designed specifically for people who don't already have an XL, and are interested in the extra power. I wonder how this thing will do on the market.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Corevi

@doctordonkey: It's for people who will buy a new Nintendo console even when there are literally no games for it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justkamtoo said:

why do the gods favour you?! = /

Have you upgraded the SD card? if so how did you find the process?

I did, and it was a pain. The stoppers on the screws were placed wrong, so basically I couldn't remove the backplate without bending them but I put that down to a manufacturing error. I don't think that's normal.

Also, I might have made a mistake in the transfer process because after I completed it, I had to put the old SD in for a DSiware game then it told me to put the new one back in and it didn't recognise it, so I had to put my old one. Luckily the 'old' one is 8GB and has all my games on it so I may have been mistaken about something.

Finding the screwdriver to fit and getting the back off was a little bit of a hassle but otherwise the process is fine.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: The rest of the world has both new models, so the XL specific point only applies to NA and CA. It's for a range of people, but it makes an old console seem exciting and drives sales for those who haven't bought one yet. It's a good option for those with the original 3DS but generally there is no actual reason to buy a new 3DS if you already own one. Only the fans will do that, like me.

I think the main purpose is just to create some new buzz around an old console. Will be interesting to see where most of the sales come from.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting one but honestly the main reason is because of processor itself. I have a lot of items downloaded to my 3DS and I can tell you switching to the menu from in game and back or even scrolling through the items on it causes lag.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makinbacon: I had that too, but I was using an SD to microSD adapter instead of a normal SD card. I put it down to using the adapter, because it's totally gone on the new 3DS but maybe it's the processor? I'm very dubious about the bumped up specs actually meaning anything.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: There's quite a few videos on youtube already showing how much quicker game boot up and doing things on the home menu. Seems like for system level stuff it's considerably faster.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does the XL version not work with those switchable covers like the smaller version?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corevi
@naoiko said:

So does the XL version not work with those switchable covers like the smaller version?

No. Those faceplates are just for Japan anyway.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi: Awww darn. Maybe one day they will make the system region free.

Grepian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@naoiko said:

No. Those faceplates are just for Japan anyway.

They are also in the EU. Only America/Canada doesn't get the New 3DS with switchable faceplates.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily a question for you, but do we have any idea about the regular edition's availability? I know the Majora's Mask one is in high demand, but haven't heard anything about the regular one. Will I be able to find one without a preorder?

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat I have a normal SD card in my system and it still lags. I have a bunch of downloaded titles (VC items) it still lags. I had the original 3DS , got the XL and transferred everything.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Naoiko

@grepian: Maybe one day Nintendo of America will bring those state side. If not, they are missing out on a giant sales chance.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So when you open the system how many times does it click before fully open?

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jorbit

@bwheeeler: I've heard of a few Gamestops running out of stock starting today. My experience with Gamestop recently is that if it's Nintendo and it's in high demand then you probably can't just walk in and buy it on the first day.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mines arriving in 14 hours :D cant wait! I got the normal sized one though, I wasnt a fan of the xl previously.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Junkboy

Will I like it? You said anything. :p

always thought the XL looked like ass, now don't get me wrong I'm not a full on crazy graphics whore but I always thought the smaller screen on the normal was just way sharper than the terrible XL.

Seriously though, does it still look like ass? Actually it's a bit bigger so it might look worse but I'm hoping better screens make it look better. I I'm still hoping Nintendo brings out the non XL because going up from the XL seems like it will only look worse.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammondoftexas said:

@alistercat Did you perform a system transfer from a previous 3DS or are you just starting fresh with this one? I sold my 3DS and am getting a New 3DS on Friday, I only downloaded 1 eShop game so I don't really care about doing a transfer.

I transferred from a 3DS XL. The only cause for concern with your situation si if you had registered a Nintendo ID. If you did then you should be able to download that eShop game on your new console, but may mean that whoever has your 3DS now also has your Nintendo ID. Maybe. Starting fresh is as simple as it gets so I envy you.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are doing a great job of answering questions.

@naoiko said:

So when you open the system how many times does it click before fully open?

2 clicks and then a third click when it goes flat. Exactly the same as my old XL.

@nags said:

@alistercat: Is the resolution still garbage?

Still the same. So yes.

@junkboy0 said:

Will I like it? You said anything. :p

always thought the XL looked like ass, now don't get me wrong I'm not a full on crazy graphics whore but I always thought the smaller screen on the normal was just way sharper than the terrible XL.

Seriously though, does it still look like ass? Actually it's a bit bigger so it might look worse but I'm hoping better screens make it look better. I I'm still hoping Nintendo brings out the non XL because going up from the XL seems like it will only look worse.

It won't look any different to an old XL. Sometimes when I see a game on a regular 3DS I realise that it looks better but for me the screen size and how comfortable it is in my hands is much more important. It just feels right.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bums me out how ugly the XL is compared to the regular.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: Does it come pre-installed with the latest update?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammondoftexas said:

@alistercat: What do you mean exactly by the Nintendo ID concern? I should also mention that before I sold my old 3DS I did a complete system format and nuked out the data as well.

A year or so ago Nintendo finally introduced a cross platform ID system that would tie purchases made with that ID to the ID itself. You may not have signed up as I believe it was optional then. If you did wipe it then no problem, the ID wouldn't hang around. You're good! :)

@solh0und said:

@alistercat: Does it come pre-installed with the latest update?

Nope. I tried to do a system transfer but it prompted me to do a system update before it would continue.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By alistercat

@privodotmenit said:

You think that slice of fried gold is ugly? Though I do think the best looking 3DS is the new white one with the coloured buttons. Ugliest by far is the original set of metallic 3DS. It's oddly shaped.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@privodotmenit said:

You think that slice of fried gold is ugly? Though I do think the best looking 3DS is the new white one with the coloured buttons. Ugliest by far is the original set of metallic 3DS. It's oddly shaped.

I have a big time aversion to anything remotely glossy and the 3DS XL on the inside looks so plain compared to the new regular sized ones. I have a 3DS XL myself at the moment but decided to get the regular sized new one for various reasons.

The original model 3DS...that thing was atrocious, not only was it glossy as all hell on both the inside and outside but they couldn't even make the shape of it consistent!