3 years later anybody else disappointed with the 3ds eShop?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

It's been about three years since the 3ds eshop launched and while I'm not complaining much about Nintendo's first party games, everything else on it from my perspective hasn't been all that great. There have been the occasional highlights for me such as Phoenix Wright V making it's way over to the US as a digital only release and of course there are games like 1001 Spikes and Shovel Knight that are there even though I'd probably play them on my pc if I had a choice. For me one of my biggest gripes with the 3DS eShop has been the lack of digital versions of gameboy advance and DS games for the system.

When the 3ds system was released the idea of DS and GBA games making its way to the virtual console was kind of expected. I couldn't wait to play something like DS Advance Wars or 999 off an sd card. The ambassador program kind of gave me a taste of what could happen and it was pretty damn cool having those games without worrying about lugging around the separate cartridges. After that I pretty much expected the flood gates to open and more stuff to come out, unfortunately it's 2014 and that hasn't quite happened yet.

I believe since the ambassador program no GBA games have made it to 3ds eShop while the funny part is the WiiU has gotten a few. Nintendo DS games hasn't been their either I think the only thing to have made it digitally besides some DSi stuff was the DS version of Inazuma Eleven. It feels like there's a huge cash cow in the ds / gba library nintendo could take advantage of and so far nintendo is dropping the ball by holding them off the 3DS system.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah, particularly with the VC. Putting GBA and DS games on Wii U and NOT 3DS still baffles me. That, and I really wish 3DS had other systems like the SNES, and for Nintendo to offer some sort of cross buy between the 3DS and Wii U.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It's served its purposes for me. I don't buy digital games often, but the eShop has been more or less OK, like any other digital storefront from my experience. The lack of GBA games on the VC doesn't really bother me since I have a Wii U and can play them there. (And the reasoning that GBA games are on the Wii U is fairly clear. Additional motivation for people to buy one.)

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By xanadu

Not so much with the Eshop. I think they are doing more then enough compared to Nintendo standards. But good god is Club Nintendo awful. Why should I fill out all these surveys just to get a free GBA at best when Sony is giving away free current gen titles?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Definitely; the eShop is pretty much all around mediocre. Also, from what I've heard, there's apparently certain technical limitations involved in bringing most GBA games to 3DS.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

According to the 3DS eShop, Senran Kagura Burst is a five star game at over 1600 ratings.

Something is very wrong.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

According to the 3DS eShop, Senran Kagura Burst is a five star game at over 1600 ratings.

Something is very wrong.

Because people disagree with you? I admit to not having played much of it, but what I have played was pretty fun.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something is very wrong.

Dumb fanservice aside, apparently that's actually a really good game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Nintendo Eshop is MILES behind both Sony and Microsoft, but that's a dead horse that's been beaten so much that it's just a pile of mush now. The one thing that annoys the shit out of me is that Nintendo's downloader doesn't give you any idea of the progress, and it's in BLOCKS and not MB/GB. I have no fucking idea what 200 blocks is, god damn.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random45 said:

The Nintendo Eshop is MILES behind both Sony and Microsoft, but that's a dead horse that's been beaten so much that it's just a pile of mush now. The one thing that annoys the shit out of me is that Nintendo's downloader doesn't give you any idea of the progress, and it's in BLOCKS and not MB/GB. I have no fucking idea what 200 blocks is, god damn.

But it does. It's a bit esoteric in its presentation on the 3DS, but it does provide a visual representation of how progress is going. And on the Wii U, downloads are pretty easily tracked in their own space in the Wii U menu.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@hailinel said:

@video_game_king said:

Something is very wrong.

Because people disagree with you?

It was supposed to be a joke¬_¬.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmm, depends. I do buy some games on sale, Like I bought Monster Hunter 3 when it was 15 bucks. I often buy virtual console games but then they STOPPED for some reason and then going into that Wii "saving for a rainy day mentality" again. So that's disappointing. I don't think it's horrible, I like day one releases idea, the sales are nice if your paying attention. But man I'd rebuy some virtual console games, but man it sucks how nintendo handles this.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In a weird way, I look at my Nintendo device specifically to play Nintendo games, so while the indie lineup is a necessity for my Vita, I have barely looked at the non Nintendo offerings on the 3DS. So my only major complaint (and its a BIG ONE) is the lack of GBA on the virtual console, my GBA is lost to time and wear and I would really love to play Advanced Wars, Golden Sun, and Fire Emblem again.

Also I demand a follow up to picross 3D.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@elwoodan said:

Also I demand a follow up to picross 3D.

As long as they have proper orthographic viewpoints and don't have an obnoxious mascot character :| Oh, and maybe make it more lenient too...

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

3 years later and your purchases are still tied to a device.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want some Super Nintendo and Gba games on there. I don't think it's that much to ask Nintendo. I'll even give you money, so it works out for both of us.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I only used it to download A Link Between Worlds--because my 3DS came with a voucher for it--and the Bravely Default demo. The store seems like kind of a mess. It's not super easy to find things.

And there's just no way I'm going to spend money on digital content for a Nintendo platform until they link purchases to your account.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wasted potential bums me out. I bought Super Mario Bros. 3 and there's no option to display it in the original resolution, or remap the controls, the way it's mapped by default is NOT an acceptable way to play those old games. I'd also appreciate it if they'd fill the catalog out a little more- and why does Nintendo never seem to follow through on what they start? The "remastered in 3D" NES games are actually pretty cool, especially Kirby, it's a damn shame they haven't made any more, the Mario games would look really cool that way. Damnit Nintendo, give the people what they want.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@random45 said:

I'm kind of surprised no one has figured out the blocks to gb/mb conversion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're talking about games, then no. It is annoying that there's been no GBA games since the Ambassador Program and no sign of any DS games coming onto the eShop, but there's so many fantastic 3DSWare & Game Boy/NES VC titles at the moment (Pullblox/Pushmo, Super Mario Land 2, and Cave Story, just to name a few) that it's not really that big a deal.

As a store, then yes. It's shit.