Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

No Man's Sky entering atmosphere soon (it's gone gold).

• 150 results
    paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

EDIT 3: As of today, June 7th, the game has officially 'gone gold'. So this ambitious and anticipated game is finally going to see the light of day!

EDIT 2: Game is now confirmed to be coming out August 9th.

http://kotaku.com/its-official-no-mans-sky-delayed-to-august-1779236658

EDIT: Thanks to @takayamasama for finding that it has apparently been delayed. Kotaku say it's probably July/August at the earliest. It's not ready to land just yet. I imagine they would have to confirm or deny this in the next few days.

Original Post:

We are about 4.5 weeks away from the June 21st release date for No Man's Sky.I keep switching being really interested and curious about this game to completely forgetting it exists.

Has anyone seen any marketing for it recently? I always got the impression that it was a big release for Sony but haven't seen anything of it for a little while. Maybe Sony are just going to roll it all into a big push during E3.

I have really high hopes for it but still feel like I need to see more. Perhaps they are trying to extend the mystery as long as possible.

Is anyone else maintaining hype?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By glots

I'm kinda the same. I was never really hyped for this game, but it definitely has seemed interesting at times. If they manage to nail the atmosphere and that, I'm pretty sure I'd be completely okay with just a pretty looking exploring game with a vast galaxy to explore. It also helps that June nor July doesn't seem to have any other games coming out that'd interest me, so I could see myself throwing down money for this.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Can't really get myself hyped up when I'm not quite sure what kind of game this is going to be. I'm looking forward to the QL and hear what GB says about the game first.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can't really get myself hyped up when I'm not quite sure what kind of game this is going to be. I'm looking forward to the QL and hear what GB says about the game first.

Yeah, definitely. This is a game that could be incredibly great, or kinda bad. Remember the dark lesson Spore taught all of us.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again with the confusion! It's a loot game slash space sim with a procedurally generated universe. I think what game it is is very clear; i'll agree we probably don't know all the minutae due to limited gameplay vids but we have the framework.

Anyway i didn't realize it was sneaking up on us so soon, but it always felt like some huge thing looming in the distance. I'm most likely picking it up on release bar some disaster, and will probably lose a great deal of hours simply exploring. Hoping it will remind me of the best moments of skyrim in a way,where i just went in a random direction and got lost on some huge tangent.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still think this is going to turn into quite a disappointing thing. People have made too much out of it.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gkhan

Again with the confusion! It's a loot game slash space sim with a procedurally generated universe. I think what game it is is very clear; i'll agree we probably don't know all the minutae due to limited gameplay vids but we have the framework.

Anyway i didn't realize it was sneaking up on us so soon, but it always felt like some huge thing looming in the distance. I'm most likely picking it up on release bar some disaster, and will probably lose a great deal of hours simply exploring. Hoping it will remind me of the best moments of skyrim in a way,where i just went in a random direction and got lost on some huge tangent.

I'm not so confused about what this game is, I just wonder whether it's fun or not. Just exploring game worlds is not a thing that interests me much (procedural game worlds, anyway), I need the gameplay to be of high enough quality. And we wont know that until it's out and players and reviewers get their hands on it.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm still pretty excited about it. I'm a sucker for exploration, so if this pans out, I'm probably buying a PS4. At the very least, this looks like a cool concept, so I'm hoping for the best. That said, for me to be fully aboard the hype train, they'll need to show that they have made some huge strides in the shooting and have put more features on the planets since the last time we saw it. E3 will give them a good chance to let me know if it's worth it.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:
    @probablytuna said:

Yeah, definitely. This is a game that could be incredibly great, or kinda bad. Remember the dark lesson Spore taught all of us.

I think I may be the only person who fell in love with Spore. One of my favorite games.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:
    @probablytuna said:

I think I may be the only person who fell in love with Spore. One of my favorite games.

Spore certainly wasn't terrible, but the hype did that game no favors. They showed that amazing creature creator first, and then talked about the rest of the game like it was going to represent the journey from single celled-organism to spacefaring like it was some deep journey into the mystery of life. No, it was the creature creator + five half-baked games, none of which could have stood on their own. Like, the "tribal" stage was just some terrible RTS, or whatever. Instead of being an epic mystical journey, you were done in 60 hours and had no desire to play any of those 5 terrible games again. It seemed to me at the time that they had made some amazing tech for the creature creator and wanted to build a game around it with the same quality, and they couldn't accomplish that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people are still confused by what this game is, there have been literal documentaries made about the making of this game. Just go and look it up.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ivdamke

I've never been hyped, but always intrigued.

I'm no longer wondering what this game is, but now I'm wondering how long until it will be at a place where I think it will have meaningful content. It's a very interesting game, but despite how interesting it is it has given me almost no reason to want to buy it. Everything they've shown doesn't really seem to mean much, all the mechanics they've spoken of and shown little tidbits of don't really come across as if they gel together all that well leaving cause for concern about how tight and interesting the core gameplay loop is.

The more I saw of this game overtime the more I saw it as a game that will initially release as a base framework for the developers to build upon it over the years. If they don't intend to support the game over a long period of time with new features and content I'm not sure this game will have legs.

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, once you get to the centre of the Universe I've heard the real game unlocks....

FROG FRACTIONS 2!!!

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

By this point I'm more curious to see how people will receive it. It looks neat but my skepticism always light up when I hear "Billions of [something]" combined with "procedurally generated".

kilroyandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: its the whole "hey we're leaving the atmosphere (insert cloud animation over cockpit to obscure vision) and shazam we're in space!!" which makes me super skeptical of how much smoke and mirrors is actually going on here!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think I know enough of the basics to know I will like it - as long as it doesn't crash or something.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gkhan said:
    @probablytuna said:

Nope! I poured hours into that game. It was my go-to game when I would relax in my college's student lounge in-between classes.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: its the whole "hey we're leaving the atmosphere (insert cloud animation over cockpit to obscure vision) and shazam we're in space!!" which makes me super skeptical of how much smoke and mirrors is actually going on here!

Well it is a videogame after all, not a 1:1 simulation of the universe.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Whether or not I get it depends 100% on the existence, or lack thereof, of crazy treasure and unique stuff you can find on only one planet. Or a small number of planets, considering there are literally quintillions. Like game-breaking infinity gauntlet sort of stuff. With it, the game becomes a fun lottery treasure hunt. Knowing nobody will find the vast majority of stuff out there would make the hunt seem worthwhile, knowing that the next planet you find might give you this crazy thing nobody else playing will ever be able to have.

Without that mechanic though, it sounds like a tedious, infinite trudge through randomly generated worlds with nothing to set them apart besides which crafting resources rng decided to slap into it

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just worried it'll be like Elite Dangerous: really cool on paper, but ultimately shallow all around.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jorbit

@madman356647 said:

I'm just worried it'll be like Elite Dangerous: really cool on paper, but ultimately shallow all around.

This is my main worry. I'll still be getting it, but I'm very pessimistic about procedural generation. It's always cool at first, but ultimately you start seeing the same patterns over and over and nothing feels truly new anymore.

Elite Dangerous had the added problem of having extremely shallow game mechanics. Once you realized that scenarios were just the game generating random points of interest next to your ship after a timer expires, the wow-factor kind of vanished.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I think this game will be fun but nothing that will set the world(s) on fire.

@lunnington While there wasn't much stuff to do in the game I found enjoyment with the mechanics of space flight. The game needed something for people to do in the day to day.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: For me the game just abruptly stopped after I learned how to fly. It took me 25 hours or so before I hit that wall.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please let this be good.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: Really? Were you using a HOTAS, gamepad, or kb/m? Took me maybe an hour or two with my HOTAS (that I bought specifically for ED) to get going. Loved flying into and out of space stations. I got tired of just doing random bounties and hunting pirates in asteroid fields.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jorbit

@sammo21: I don't mean it took me 25 hours to learn to fly, I just mean it took me 25 hours before I got bored of the flight stuff and realized that's all I wanted to do. I just hit a certain point where I thought "Oh, I think I've seen 100% of what this game offers now."

Learning that game was the fun part.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunnington: Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, I'd say that was about how long it took me to realize there wasn't anything else to do. The commerce stuff doesn't really do anything for...nor does spending hours shooting rocks for money. Exploration is cool...for about an hour. I just wish they could figure out something else to do in that game.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Leaving and entering a planet didn't seem too grandiose (which, for me, is the whole point of space). It's "approaching planet > smoke smoke smoke> On the planet". Don't know how I feel about that, does it take anything away?

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

still super excited, ign did a bunch of videos recently which lay out exactly what is going on, but people will still be crying 'but what is it!' a week after release it seems

and if it doesnt live up to the hype, im sure ill get a good few hours out of it and stick it on ebay, no harm

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its amazing to me that people are still saying, "what is this game" or "I think people are expecting too much"

How have they not learned what it is going to be yet? there has been tons of coverage.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its amazing to me that people are still saying, "what is this game" or "I think people are expecting too much"

How have they not learned what it is going to be yet? there has been tons of coverage.

There hasnt been very much coverage relative to the amount of hype this game has gotten for some reason.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:
    @devil240z said:

There hasnt been very much coverage relative to the amount of hype this game has gotten for some reason.

There has been plenty.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By paulmako

@devil240z:

For people who haven't been seeking coverage out, it is easy to miss.

The most recent forum topic here on the No Man's Sky page was almost a month ago, and the one before that was close to two months ago. People don't seem to have been talking about it here. We haven't had trailer hype or open betas to fuel discussion like with most modern games.

Sure IGN did a somewhat deep dive recently, but I didn't know that until today. I do understand the basics of what the game is, but unless you are seeking it out it's easy to miss specifics.

I just thought it was interesting that Sony don't seem to be offering the usual marketing drip feed for this.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Devil240Z

@paulmako: Hmm I guess not everyone makes a google alert for everything they're interested in...

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gruebacca

@devil240z:It's easy for us crazy people to miss, but most people don't really follow games coverage. They might look at what's going on at E3 or PAX (if they attend), but other than that they aren't checking every day to see if there's something new out related to a certain game. The coverage that a game receives more than a month before release is for fans of the medium, like us.

Most console or pc gamers look at a trailer or two and then either wait for reviews to come out or look at a youtube video of somebody other than developers or press playing it before making purchasing decisions on games. We may be dedicated (and some of us more than others), but most people aren't willing to spend time searching for coverage and/or discussing about video games far before they're released.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer: The "procedurally generated universe" thing has been done before No Man's Sky was even a thing. Space Engine is a program (made by one guy) where you can go into space and land on randomized planets and --mostly you take photos of pretty landscapes--. It's not nearly as sophisticated as No Man's Sky looks to be, but the underlying framework isn't far-fetched these days.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruebacca: yeah but with NMS you have people constantly saying they don't know what it is but they're interested in it. and likely would want to find out what it is but they don't do any legwork to find out. That seems like they're being willfully ignorant.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Then they're posting such thoughts into a forum like the Giant Bomb forums in hopes that a fellow user would deal out such information because they trust a Giant Bomb user more than they trust the devs and press. The legwork isn't in finding the coverage; it's in trusting it. In a risk-averse world, many people would rather wait and see if a game is any good than research everything an unreleased game has offered only to find out that the game isn't good after release. If they're looking for game coverage from a freaking forum, they want your thoughts, not others'!

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Devil240Z

@gruebacca: it's kind of a conundrum since that info is sourced entirety from the devs and press coverage.

I only believe that I know anything about the game because of that coverage and what I can glean from it(as in read between the lines). I wouldn't in good conscience convey that info to another because beyond what is said in the coverage explicitly everything I know is entirely unverifiable.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: There's nothing wrong with posting your thoughts and knowledge about a game in a forum. There's no binary choice between "regurgitate what the press chruns out" and "keep silent". Even if your thoughts turn out to be wrong or misguided, they still came from something and people can relate or debate it. Providing others a link or two to relative coverage is always a much better strategy than telling people to "google it". Telling others to inform themselves with coverage that you don't think is verifiable yourself won't impress anybody.

At the end of the day, it's likely that many of these people posting about their uncertainty about what the game is about are likely saying in disguise "I don't know what the game is about, but I'll find out on release day when it matters."

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it isn't far-fetched. How did you read that into what I said?

That it has been done before is not my main concern about No Man's Sky.

@christoffer: The "procedurally generated universe" thing has been done before No Man's Sky was even a thing. Space Engine is a program (made by one guy) where you can go into space and land on randomized planets and --mostly you take photos of pretty landscapes--. It's not nearly as sophisticated as No Man's Sky looks to be, but the underlying framework isn't far-fetched these days.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt there is much more to show about the game so it makes sense to leave the media coverage until the week of E3.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruebacca: @christoffer: I absolutely love space engine but yo it's not a game.

Also wtf I just built a new PC how have I not ran SE on it yet?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So hype for this game. I only wish it had a standard coop mode to explore the galaxy with my buddy.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyone that still has way too high expectations for this game are gonna be disappointed, I guarantee it. It could still be a good game(whatever it honestly is) but definitely not what everyone envisioned.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By monkeyking1969

How much do they show off before launch?

e3 2016 will finish a few days before the game launches. Obviously. the game will be shown and could even be reviewed before then event, but at this time it isn't in anyone's hands. So how much do you think they show if anything at all? How will this game launch, it is not exactly the sort of game you'd see plastered on the side of city buses. Yet, it is not the sort of game that you can grasp or understand after 10 minutes of playing a vertical slice level or even teh first 30 minutes.

So, do they even push trying to allow people to play 10 minutes on a show floor; which might leave a poor impression of a slow burn game. Or, do they simply need people talking about this game no matter what, so they just have as many kiosks as possible? I would say just off the top of my head that this game will not get much traction form traditional advertising, so maybe spending money on that will be a waste. I would say this might be the most lightly advertised product we see this year. A few magazine ads, acover story on a gaming mag, a back ground on the IGN or GameSpot sites, a few posters at GameStop; but not much sense. I think the single largest and most expensive adverting you will see will be it will have a decent chunk of time up on Sony's e3 stage and in their booth. Time & Space are money (lol), if Sony will be spending it will be mostly spending "space & time" they could have given to other games. Yet, ifi s it gets very little time at THIS e3, No Man's Sky has already goothen a few million dollars worth of adverting form being in Sony' s conference twice before.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it looks like we all worried this might be playable soon for no reason.

http://kotaku.com/sources-no-mans-sky-delayed-1778797365

Guess it has to orbit a few more times before entering the atmosphere.

I'm always OK on a game taking the time it needs, but man this game maybe shouldn't have been announced so early if it was gonna take this long, and longer.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They delayed it without giving it a date? I don't like the sound of that, hopefully this thing turns out alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.