51st Daytona 500, and NASCAR is a sport...

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By thebobster10

Tommorrow is the 51st running of the "Great American Race". It's always NASCAR's highest rated race of the season, with on average 12 or more million people tuning in, making it the second most watched sporting event in the United States all year long, behind the Super Bowl of course, which usually get's around 85 or more million viewers per  year. What a surprise.

This graph is from the Nielsen TV Ratings website.

This shows that some Daytona 500's have had over 19 Million viewers in past runnings.

Just thought this would interest some of you who think NO ONE watches NASCAR, when yet, it's the second most watched sport in all of America and the #1 spectator sport in America where some tracks are capable of holding over 200,000 fans, like Bristol Motor Speedway, which is only a half mile long.

Oh, and for you people who think NASCAR isn't a sport, or it's just "left turns", then read this article, and stop being so narrow minded and watch a race or two, and you'll notice how technical and physicaly demanding these race cars are, along with other racing series' like F1. Oh and by the way, do you think you could handle being in a tightly confined race car for over 3 hours with temperatures getting over 140 degrees?

Google "NASCAR cockpit" and click on images, and you'll see how confined the driver's are in a race car.

Imagine crashing at 150 mph, and the car catches on fire, now imagine trying to escape that cockpit before YOU catch on fire in a matter of seconds, pretty scary isn't it?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/34488-once-and-for-all-why-nascar-is-a-sport 
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RetroIce4

First three letters of Nascar says, "Not. A. Sport"

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Discorsi

Well it goes without saying who the majority of the people watching nascar are.  I guess it beats racing tractors by the slimmest of margins.  

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Racing is never going to be a real 'sport', regardless of what you claim. Everyone knows the fans of things like Nascar pretty obviously, and well, that's all there really is to say.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By FrankCanada97

I always thought the great American race was the Indy 500, but not anymore I guess. I lost interest in American motorsports ever since Tony George split up CART, the new unified series is just not the same.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By tekmojo

I'd rather watch a Dodgeball tournament on ESPN "The Ocho."

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fr0br0

Why was there such a big drop of viewers in 1980?

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snipzor

Having watched one or two NASCAR races, it is safe to say this. It isn't a sport. F1, that is a sport that requires technical skills as well as top notch driving skills. NASCAR is just left turns. Put a couple of cushions in the car and it is no longer physically demanding.

Let's also look at the demographics of the sport. Who watches it?

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By lebkin

I won't argue if NASCAR is a sport, but I will argue that it completely misunderstands how to schedule a season.  It starts off its schedule with its biggest race, the Daytona 500.  That means that every single race after that is of less importance.  It'd be like starting the NFL season with the Super Bowl, then playing the regular season.  I just don't get why anyone would set it up like that.  Its similar to horse racing, that starts the Triple Crown with the Kentucky Derby, rather than finishing with it.

If you moved it to the last race of the season, die-hards would still watch it.  And you might pick up a lot more who have built up interest over the season.  Similar things happen in other pro sports.  I know lots of people who watched the Super Bowl just to see how the "feel-good story" Kurt Warner would do.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

The Truth
The Truth
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

It's cool, but watching it is boring.  I find all sports boring though.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I'm never going to consider NASCAR a sport, F1 isn't really either though.