Avatar image for thatindianguy7116
ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

So, I don't know how long ago it was, but I posted a thread with a workout plan asking for tips on losing weight. I received several responses and it helped me a bit, but I still need a bit more help.

So far, I haven't completely converted to Water, but I at least drink a lot more water than I used to. I also have at least eaten a bit lighter than I usually do when I'm having unhealthy food and I have no choice. Why would I have no choice? Well, you guys know how parents are. They don't necessarily always know what's best and, in my case, that couldn't be closer to the truth. I try and tell my Dad that we need to start going to healthier places and he still takes us to places like Portillos. I try and get something light and he calls me a pussy and orders like 5 other things and makes me eat them. I'm almost convinced he just wants me to stay fat to boost his self-confidence (Sad part is, I'm only half way kidding about that), but maybe I'll talk about that another day. Point is, I'm at least trying. I'm not just eating unhealthy foods, however. I do eat foods that are considered healthy according to what I read on the internet.

As for the exercising, I'm doing this thing called Deck of Cards where I assign exercises to each suit in a deck of cards, draw out 20-30 cards and do those exercises based on the number on the card and the suit. I've assigned Hindu Push Ups to Clubs, Burpees to Spades, Mountain Climbers to Diamonds and Bicycle Crunches to Hearts. I was wondering if that was good Cardio since I got a bit of mixed info from it.

Also, according to a friend, my schools fitness center is open for about an hour after school every day. I was going to be going in for about 3-4 days a week and was wondering how I should use the machines to burn calories and lose weight effectively. I know they have the Stationary bikes and treadmills. Any sort of routines I should do to fill out that hour?

Thanks to any answers. I realize I still have a long way to go, but I'm still improving every day.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sounds like you're really motivated, and that's awesome. Using those treadmills and bikes sounds like a good plan. And I'm not sure there's really any secret to cardio workouts other than keeping that heart rate up.

As someone who's also trying to eat healthier and get into better shape, I wish you luck.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By napalm

I feel you're over-complicating this for no reason.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

@Napalm: I'm over-complicating this for a huge reason. That reason is my health.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SexyToad

@Napalm said:

I feel you're over-complicating this for no reason.

Never! It sounds like you're doing a great job with your diet. now with the exercising machines i would say maybe half and half? or quarters. Like bycycle for 15 then walk(rest) for 15 and so on. If you can do it why not use the staionary bike the whole time?That seems like the best way. Anyways good job! Im planning on losing weight. I havent starte yet but i have been improving my diet a bit. I'm doing cross country as soon as school starts so I think that would help me a bit. Keep us updated.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

@JJWeatherman: I wish you luck as well!

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

@SexyToad: Thank you! I will!

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By reckless_x

Pro-tip: based off of my own personal experience, the most effective cardio for fat burning is HIIT. What I do for 3-4 times per week is hit the treadmill for 10 minutes each session.

Typically, my run goes like this...

0-1 minute at 5 mph

1-1:30 at 10 mph

1:30-3 at 5 mph

3-3:30 at 10 mph

3:30-5 at 5 mph

5-5:30 at 11 mph

5:30-7 at 5 mph

7-7:30 at 11 mph

7:30-8:20 at ~3.7 mph

8:20-9:30 at 5 mph

9:30-10 at 12 mph

Basically, the idea behind a HIIT (High intensity interval training) program is that it is not something that you body is used to. Traditionally, by running for 30 minutes or so at each session, from what I gather, people just become more effective at running, and not so much losing weight. With HIIT, your metabolism should increase for the rest of the day, allowing you to digest faster. Additionally, I eat 5-6 small meals per day every 2-3 hours for weight loss/maintenance. This also speeds up metabolism! Make sure to get a solid amount of protein in each meal.

EDIT: Just as a side note, the plan I use is obviously not for everyone - HIIT is just about putting in your 100% for those high intervals! so my 10 mph may be your 11 mph or vice versa! It's all about pushing yourself!

EXTRA EDIT: it's also worth noting that I don't run for endurance - but I can at least guarantee that this plan has worked for me along with moderating foods

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WMWA
@ThatIndianGuy7116 Focus on cardio man. Especially if you're just trying to lose weight at the present moment. And if your parents do take you out, smaller portions. Eat like half, save the rest for another time. Gotta cut out all the other drinks. Switch to the zero everything energy drinks and black coffee if you can't give up the caffeine. Just walk for an hour at first. Listen to podcasts if that's your thing, it helps the time pass so quickly. Then try jogging for little stretches at a time. Fuck being self conscious. If you can only jog for a minute, that's a minute more hard work that you've done today you wouldn't have otherwise. Try for incremental improvements. Jogging for a little longer next time. You'll be running miles without stopping in no time if you stick with it. I lost a little over 100 pounds between April 2011 and now, and I even run competitively now. Just by doing most of what I just told you. Keep it up, Duder. It'll be the best feeling of your life when you look back and see how far you've come
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FengShuiGod

Relatively speaking, cycling burns a lot of calories, so if your goal is to loose weight that is a good place to start. Alternate between a high cadence/low resistance, which will burn calories, and higher resistance, which will add muscle.

Long term wise I think it is best to do something out of a gym, and maybe do something social. Local cross country groups, cycling groups, ect.

I hate the gym, so cycling is pretty fun for me. I burn calories and get a change of scenery, as well as a sense of adventure and accomplishment. I bike a little more than an hour a day, 5-6 or so days a week, which gets me 120+ miles a week and keeps me not too fat. 7 hours over a week isn't that bad especially because I enjoy it 90% of the time and I've kept off 45 pounds for a couple years now. Everything is different for everyone, but the bicycle works for me.

Good luck duder.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@ReCkLeSs_X said:

Pro-tip: based off of my own personal experience, the most effective cardio for fat burning is HIIT. What I do for 3-4 times per week is hit the treadmill for 10 minutes each session.

Typically, my run goes like this...

0-1 minute at 5 mph

1-1:30 at 10 mph

1:30-3 at 5 mph

3-3:30 at 10 mph

3:30-5 at 5 mph

5-5:30 at 11 mph

5:30-7 at 5 mph

7-7:30 at 11 mph

7:30-8:20 at ~3.7 mph

8:20-9:30 at 5 mph

9:30-10 at 12 mph

Basically, the idea behind a HIIT (High intensity interval training) program is that it is not something that you body is used to. Traditionally, by running for 30 minutes or so at each session, from what I gather, people just become more effective at running, and not so much losing weight. With HIIT, your metabolism should increase for the rest of the day, allowing you to digest faster. Additionally, I eat 5-6 small meals per day every 2-3 hours for weight loss/maintenance. This also speeds up metabolism! Make sure to get a solid amount of protein in each meal.

EDIT: Just as a side note, the plan I use is obviously not for everyone - HIIT is just about putting in your 100% for those high intervals! so my 10 mph may be your 11 mph or vice versa! It's all about pushing yourself!

EXTRA EDIT: it's also worth noting that I don't run for endurance - but I can at least guarantee that this plan has worked for me along with moderating foods

I'm stealing this. My treadmill workout sucks. Running on a slope at 6-10 mph for 30 minutes.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PillClinton

I completely respect this thread's existence and your desire for exercise advice, but I honestly find it hilarious that Giant Bomb is host to so many topics like this. There've been like 4 workout advice threads in the last few weeks!

Oh, also, sugar. Cut it out. Like, almost completely, except for naturally derived sugar like fruit, but no fruit juice! It's all the sugar from fruit without any of the fiber for it to bond to to slow absorption.

Also, carbs. Try to limit those quite a bit and only eat high-carb foods that also have a good amount of fiber and protein (flourless whole grain bread vs. Wonder bread), and if it's not too hard to find, a low glycemic index. I highly recommend Food for Life's Ezekiel 4:9 bread, which can be found at most supermarkets.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

If you can swim, just swim. Stay in the deep end of the pool for as long as you can; your whole body is moving trying to keep you afloat. Also cycling is good for you.

Good luck on your quest.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By JasonR86

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

So, I don't know how long ago it was, but I posted a thread with a workout plan asking for tips on losing weight. I received several responses and it helped me a bit, but I still need a bit more help.

So far, I haven't completely converted to Water, but I at least drink a lot more water than I used to. I also have at least eaten a bit lighter than I usually do when I'm having unhealthy food and I have no choice. Why would I have no choice? Well, you guys know how parents are. They don't necessarily always know what's best and, in my case, that couldn't be closer to the truth. I try and tell my Dad that we need to start going to healthier places and he still takes us to places like Portillos. I try and get something light and he calls me a pussy and orders like 5 other things and makes me eat them. I'm almost convinced he just wants me to stay fat to boost his self-confidence (Sad part is, I'm only half way kidding about that), but maybe I'll talk about that another day. Point is, I'm at least trying. I'm not just eating unhealthy foods, however. I do eat foods that are considered healthy according to what I read on the internet.

As for the exercising, I'm doing this thing called Deck of Cards where I assign exercises to each suit in a deck of cards, draw out 20-30 cards and do those exercises based on the number on the card and the suit. I've assigned Hindu Push Ups to Clubs, Burpees to Spades, Mountain Climbers to Diamonds and Bicycle Crunches to Hearts. I was wondering if that was good Cardio since I got a bit of mixed info from it.

Also, according to a friend, my schools fitness center is open for about an hour after school every day. I was going to be going in for about 3-4 days a week and was wondering how I should use the machines to burn calories and lose weight effectively. I know they have the Stationary bikes and treadmills. Any sort of routines I should do to fill out that hour?

Thanks to any answers. I realize I still have a long way to go, but I'm still improving every day.

Make fun of your Dad or tell him to fuck off. No matter what you do allowing him to dictate what you eat is insane. Make your own decisions and stick with them. If he doesn't respect you for that that is his problem. Do you have a job? You could buy your own food. Having some unhealthy food isn't terrible just watch how much unhealthy food you have. If you don't have a job you can go down to a food bank and get some food for yourself. If you don't have options, just watch how much food you eat, cut down on unhealthy drinks, and try to not eat snacks.

Whatever exercise you do just continue to add to the exercise. Add reps, sets, or weight. You could run on the treadmill for an hour or the bike for an hour or split the time in half between the machines. What is important to remember is that you try to burn as many calories as you can. Depending on your weight simply doing anything is an improvement. Once you really need to really plan your exercises you'll have been working out for quite a while and will have a better understanding of what to expect of yourself.

Keep with it dude and don't worry about what anyone says including your Dad. Do what is best for you and if people don't like it fuck'em.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By golguin

It's fairly simple. If you continue to eat less if you're overeating, eat healthier if you eat a lot of junk food, and stay active if you've largely been inactive then the weight will continue to come off. The difficulty lies in staying constant with that plan. You can't simply eat a salad, skip a meal, and go for a jog every once in a while. As long as you keep going with whatever plan you have set for yourself then you'll see results.

It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to go from 0 to 100 all at once. You can ramp up your workout and eating habits little by little until you get to a comfortable state and then just stay constant if that's your goal.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By myniceicelife

like some others have said, cycling is a great thing to do. this summer hasn't been the best to do it with how hot it is, but even an exercise bike is a great thing to use, especially if you can get one with varying "difficulties". i've been doing about an hour 4-5 times a week and it keeps me feeling good, plus i get to play Persona 4 at the same time. don't know what kind of bikes you're school has but if that's not possible just get out and ride around, but don't push it too hard at first as it's better to work your way up in time and distance. find a group of people, throw on a podcast, or just take in the sights cause it'll make it not even seem like exercise.

cspanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cspanick

Take a preworkout aka Jack3d by USP labs. This will help tremendously and allow you to workout much harder and longer. Make sure to take it on an empty stomach for maximum use. Also yea do cardio, but mix it up with lifting weights, preferably dumbbells. This will speed up your metabolism and create muscle out of that fat. There are several options available for plans but i tend to use this one.

Monday- 10min warmup on bike, then chest and bis, followed by a 2 mile jog/run

Tuesday-warmup, legs, run

Wednesday-Rest Day

Thursday-warmup, shoulder, tris, run

Friday- warmup, back

Weekend- Rest, cardio if you want

Do all this and I guarantee you will see the results, after about 3 gym sessions of this ive already lost 8 pounds and become leaner

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By g6065

I don't think you're necessarily overcomplicating things, however it's also very important to remember that the best method is sometimes also the simplest.

I have a basic philosophy when it comes to eating, that being "Eat big, eat healthy". There's simply no point in trying to deny your body what it needs by crash dieting etc... It's all about making sustainable changes.

All the advice given above in relation to exercising is spot on. Just remember to take baby steps, and don't try to commit to something that isn't (again) sustainable.

Can I ask how old you are? The behaviour of your father is borderline abuse.

Stick with it duder, the longest journey starts with the first step.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By theslothking

Keep track of your workouts (write everything down), stretch and warm-up before you workout, try to eat a low amount of carbs, take multivitamins, if you get hungry between meals eat a small snack like carrots etc, portion control, and get a good amount of sleep.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PillClinton

@g6065: Not to assume anything unfounded, but I hope you're not referring to my comment about dropping sugar when you say not to deny your body what it needs by crash dieting. The body simply does not need sugar, and the rise in obesity since the 80s is in direct correlation with changes in dieting trends of that time: cutting fat (bad idea) and replacing it with carbs and sugar (worse idea), and I think it most certainly implies causation. I really don't see any problem with drastically changing one's diet if one wants to lose weight and be healthier immediately, as long as those changes are smart and healthy, of course.

uber_skedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By uber_skedy

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

First off I'm no expert. My brother is a personal trainer at a local gym and currently studying nutrition. Everything I know I've picked up from him but it's not iron clad. It just works for the people I know and might help you out, that's all.

I think the most important things are to drop as many carbs from your diet as you can, especially while you are trying to lose weight. This includes sugar, breads, etc. Be careful and check contents labels, there is a lot of hidden sugar in ready made meal sauces and that sort of thing that isn't always obvious. You still need carbs, but swapping them out for protein will increase your metabolism and help you burn fat faster/stop putting it on. I can't imagine having such a parent with such a poor attitude. Try not to let it dishearten you man. If it gets too bad maybe you should talk to your dad about it, air your concerns.

Secondly, when working out you need to determine your optimal heart rate to burn fat and work it up to that range. If the treadmill, bike or whatever your on doesn't have a built in monitor go and invest in a cheap one. It doesn't need to be super accurate, just good enough to give you a sense of where your heart is at roughly. The ranges are quite large. This site will help you work it out. A set routine isn't really important, just do whatever aerobic exercise you like for at least half and hour. 3-4 times a week if you can manage. Also remember things like push-ups and crunches tone and build muscle, so if you go all out on these without a proper cardio routine you will gain weight as your body develops muscle under the fat. If you are really stuck this might be something that you want to do. Putting on a lot of muscle will increase the rate your metabolism burns kilojoules and help speed up weight loss. You will still need a robust cardio workout after a period of muscle gain (4-5 weeks approx) to lose any real fat though.

Stick with it. Do these two things and you'll be fine.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Trilogy

Well you have to not let your dad do that to you. You can work your ass off all you want but if you let your dad shovel too much food down your throat you aren't going to lose any fat. I just don't want you to waste your time busting your ass for nothing. Exercise and nutrition need to be in a harmonious relationship if you want results.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By napalm

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

@Napalm: I'm over-complicating this for a huge reason. That reason is my health.

Let me rephrase my comment: an exercise routine shouldn't be this stressful. This is what I mean when I say that exercise doesn't have to be complicated. The more complicated you make it, the more likely you are to give up because you're creating so much damn stress for yourself instead of just focusing on simple exercises that will help you immensely.

martyarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By martyarf

lower your carb intake as much as is practical, pick up heavy shit and put it down, occasionally do sprints. if you are able bodied, this is about all you need to do. but bear in mind, this is something you really need to do for the rest of your life, so you have to find it enjoyable for its own sake. not everyone does, so find ways to incentivize yourself, work out with friends, set yourself tangible goals.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By sjschmidt93

Try high intensity interval training. I'm not going to bother explaining it when you can read it from professionals online.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By phrali

regarding diet and eating out, small changes make a big difference. Water instead of soda. Grilled chicken instead of fried. Side of veggies not french fries. Much of this is common sense. You ARE overcomplicating it. Workout program should be something you enjoy or you will end up quitting. I personally think cardio is boring so i lift heavy and i am pretty lean. Up to you. Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight, it really is that simple. Get into a routine and develop good habits, consistency is the key. If you want to build muscle, google mark rippetoe and do what he tells you to do.