A classy discussion about beer!

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys! So I recently starting going to the NLC, or Newfoundland Liquor Corporation, which is where the government sells the booze here in Newfoundland, and I grab three or so different individual craft beers or ciders and try them throughout the week. I figured if this was OK with the mods and that I would post about what I have tryed and see if my fellow bombers have any recommendations. I'm trying to stay in small batch or craft beers because I want to try some different stuff! Just to let people know my tastes vary but my favorite "big" beer is probably Sapporo. Also, drinking from a glass, not the can so I can see how they look poured

So this week I tried:

Mill Street Vanilla Porter- so apparently I'm not a porter or stout kinda guy. I like the flavour and the vanilla was more of a hint than a punch in the face, but MAN porters are not my cup of tea. I am going to keep trying them though as I want to a bit if it is an aquired taste. Looked super cool poured though.

Muskoka Detour Session IPA- it had a citrusy but also hoppy taste. Really nice and the can was really cool! Was unfiltered, so it was cloudy.

Lake of Bays Rock Cut Baysville lager- kinda meh, not much of anything to it, not like offensive, just kinda meh. Looked like a bud light.

Innis and Gunn Craft Lager- I have had Innis and Gunn before and liked it but this was different. I found that it was kind of sharp tasting and had a different aftertaste. Slightly unfiltered.

This weeks pick: Muskoka Detour Session IPA

My wife grabbed next week's so I will let you know, as I go this time. I may post can pictures and that too!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I usually grab two forties of budlight and go to town.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By oraknabo

There have been had a few beer discussions here in the past, but I don't know how many of those users are still active.

I'm getting excited about being able to get doppelbocks again pretty soon and I'm generally gravitating to anything that's super dark. I had a Harviestoun Engine Oil last night and have a Courage Imperial Russian Stout to drink probably tomorrow night.

As we get closer to Christmas, I start drinking a lot of Belgian ales. I'm kicking off the season with a Westmalle tripel I picked up with the others. Duvel is also a regular for me in winter even though I haven't bought any this year.

Over the summer, I was drinking a lot of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Fuller's ESB, Bells, New Belgium 1554 and the occasional Saison.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By monkeyking1969

Seems like you could grab some Sam Adams Boston Lager up there, I see some Summer Ale is still for sale but they should ship some Octoberfest soon. I would try some Garrison Raspberry Wheat too...its not crazy weird fruity, just mild interesting raspberry note.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I love me some beer. I remembered yesterday that Dogfish Head was going to start shipping to Indiana again so I went out and got some 90 minute & 61 minute IPA. The 90 is obviously great and I was really impressed by the touch of grape added into the 61 minute. Sadly no punkin ale :(.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like a big aspect of craft beers are how domestic they are. Like "oh yeah the brewery's not that far from where I live." That's how I started learning about most of those I drink, breweries near where I lived in the past.

Troeg makes great beers in PA, for example. Their Hopback ale, their IPA, their Troegenator, their Nutty Nectar (or whatever it's called), and their Hop Knife are all pretty great.

Victory's IPA is pretty good as well. Just today I thought I'd try something from Britain so I went with Hobgoblin Dark English Ale and it was great.

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doltz

@oraknabo: I am going to have to make an attempt to try some of those! Belgian ales are awesome!

@MonkeyKing1969 I have tried Sam Adams Boston Lager, Winter Lager and Summer Ale and they were all really good! Im looking for their Rebel IPA now. Also, a note of fruit makes for an interesting beer.

@jiggajoe14: I've heard of dogfish head and have wanted to try it. Of there is non locally I'll have to keep it in mind on my next trip to the US.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@doltz said:

Mill Street Vanilla Porter- so apparently I'm not a porter or stout kinda guy. I like the flavour and the vanilla was more of a hint than a punch in the face, but MAN porters are not my cup of tea. I am going to keep trying them though as I want to a bit if it is an aquired taste. Looked super cool poured though.

What specifically about a porter/stout is it that turns you off? I ask because I am right there with you in that they aren't usually to my tastes either, but I think the Mill St. Vanilla is one of very few exceptions. The general impression I have from the stouts I've tried is that they are heavy, fairly dry, and have extremely pronounced and rich flavours (sometimes a bitter coffee, sometimes a dark fruitiness, like a date). By contrast, the Vanilla Porter is much lighter and thinner, particularly from a mouth feel perspective, with a more restrained flavour, a hint of vanilla, creamy, smooth. I will agree that stouts are my very favourite beer to pour, deep black with the milky head, they look fantastic. If you continue giving stouts a try I'd recommend Youngs Double Chocolate, and Muskokas Winter Beard (chocolate/cranberry, it's seasonal so you probably won't find it for a month or two yet).

I've actually got a couple Muskoka Detour chilling as we speak, and your mention of citrus got me excited to crack one open, a good fruity IPA is the best way to drink I can think of.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's made in pretty big batches, but those Trappist monks know what they're doing so I would recommendChimay Bleue for anyone who wants a kind of sweet dark ale that's a bit strong. I definitely think it's worth giving porter and stouts a couple of changes since it can be an acquired taste. Few things are better then a glass of Oppigårds Thurbo Stout during the winter time.

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: I think that whole local idea is really true! I really like Hobgoblin Ruby Red Ale.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I picked up just a regular Hobgoblin for the amazing label, but yeah that's pretty good. Sam Adams have some tasty ales too.

doltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By doltz

@enemylandlord: it was honestly my first Porter so I just don't think I was ready for it. I will probably get it again in the future and will look for those others. My only stout experience is Guinness a few years ago, so I am going to revisit them too.

I find I like most of Muskokas stuff so far. The Mad Tom IPA is really good, as is the craft lager. The summer weiss was good too.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@thehbk said:

I usually grab two forties of budlight and go to town.

This is pretty classy to me. I'm up for it.

enemylandlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By enemylandlord

@doltz said:

@enemylandlord: it was honestly my first Porter so I just don't think I was ready for it. I will probably get it again in the future and will look for those others. My only stout experience is Guinness a few years ago, so I am going to revisit them too.

I find I like most of Muskokas stuff so far. The Mad Tom IPA is really good, as is the craft lager. The summer weiss was good too.

I'll say this, I'm not a huge fan of most stouts, but I definitely hate Guinness. Muskoka is definitely a solid Canadian craft brewery, at worst you get a middle of the road brew, but they've also hit on some really fantastic stuff along the way. For a couple of years I was a big proponent of Mad Tom, but in the last 6 months or so I've seen Twice As Mad Tom start popping up at the LCBO, and I've gotta say it's a huge step up. It eases up on the bitterness found in the original Mad Tom and adds that hint of fruitiness I look for, it's super easy drinking for an 8.5% beer.

I'll also +1 to the recommendation of Chimay (particularly blue label), and Dog Fish Head IPA's. You'll probably be able to find Chimay pretty easily (I see the red label all the time), but unfortunately Dog Fish Head is a brand that is difficult if impossible to get in Canada. I tried a few different Dog Fish Head brews when I was in upstate New York a little while back and man, the depth of flavour is crazy, highly recommended if you can get your hands on it.

I also can't go into a beer discussion without mentioning Unibroue. They have some best in the business options, La Fin Du Monde is pretty much as good as it gets in my opinion.