Actually, games are still fun.

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zoidberg54
Ramza Beoulve looks cool without even trying.

Gaming is a lost mistress to me. It’s the proverbial beautiful woman who was once beautiful that and is now a chasm of fond memories? A new difficulty artificially superimposed itself into every game I play. “Substantial New Content” appears below “Balls to the Walls Insanity” threating to ruin exciting new experiences something different might bring. I hold onto the same genres, same play styles and try to recapture my youth every time I press the power button. My recent realization came when I finished Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP. Don’t get me wrong, the game is fantastic, but as I play through it I keep referring to the protagonist as Ramza and I miss the awesome power of Orlando administering a whirlwind of unstoppable death.

Someone who knows something about repeating a few mistakes.

Mass Effect is the same story. Literally. I’ve played through a couple of different characters between ME 1 and 2 and rarely do I deviate from the choices I made the previous time I finished each game. Regardless of how much variation any game dangles in front of my conscious mind, my id takes over and I’ve repeated my mistakes. I seem to press the repeat button and rarely experience anything new. Granted, I’ve gone through a major life change with the birth of my son and with no sense of loss I play much less, but it seems for the past few years that I want that familiar blanket that I can imagine is oh so much.

It feels good to have a best friend.

For all its flaws Heavy Rain was the genuinely exciting game I’ve played. It has rekindled a search that I once had almost given up. I think my problem was not exactly that I was afraid to play something I had to learn be it mechanics or lore. I think I was afraid of getting older and change in general. Now that I have baby boy I get much less time than I used to. Responsibility beckons, of course. I think this absence from the dark age of free reign has given back excitement to the games that I do play. I no longer rush through a game skipping the cut scenes just to finish it and then move onto the next. I used to be disappointed that I didn’t have to recharge my controllers once every few days. Now, just the prospect of picking up one of those controlers excites me in a way it hasn't in a long time. Now the giant bugs that die tonight don't need to die in vein; they might make my day just a little brighter.

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Zoidberg54

Gaming is a lost mistress to me. It’s the proverbial beautiful woman who was once beautiful that and is now a chasm of fond memories? A new difficulty artificially superimposed itself into every game I play. “Substantial New Content” appears below “Balls to the Walls Insanity” threating to ruin exciting new experiences something different might bring. I hold onto the same genres, same play styles and try to recapture my youth every time I press the power button. My recent realization came when I finished Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for the PSP. Don’t get me wrong, the game is fantastic, but as I play through it I keep referring to the protagonist as Ramza and I miss the awesome power of Orlando administering a whirlwind of unstoppable death.

Mass Effect is the same story. Literally. I’ve played through a couple of different characters between ME 1 and 2 and rarely do I deviate from the choices I made the previous time I finished each game. Regardless of how much variation any game dangles in front of my conscious mind, my id takes over and I’ve repeated my mistakes. I seem to press the repeat button and rarely experience anything new. Granted, I’ve gone through a major life change with the birth of my son and with no sense of loss I play much less, but it seems for the past few years that I want that familiar blanket that I can imagine is oh so much.

For all its flaws Heavy Rain was the genuinely exciting game I’ve played. It has rekindled a search that I once had almost given up. I think my problem was not exactly that I was afraid to play something I had to learn be it mechanics or lore. I think I was afraid of getting older and change in general. Now that I have baby boy I get much less time than I used to. Responsibility beckons, of course. I think this absence from the dark age of free reign has given back excitement to the games that I do play. I no longer rush through a game skipping the cut scenes just to finish it and then move onto the next. I used to be disappointed that I didn’t have to recharge my controllers once every few days. Now, just the prospect of picking up one of those controlers excites me in a way it hasn't in a long time. Now the giant bugs that die tonight don't need to die in vein; they might make my day just a little brighter.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SexyToad

That was beautiful I had tears in my eyes after reading that. It had so much feeling. Bravo is all I can say. BRAVO!

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm confused, but glad to hear that a game came along that reaffirmed your love for videogames.

Flawed_System

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Flawed_System

Yeah, I felt like that too. I'm REALLY....REALLY looking forward to Max Payne 3!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Let me just say that you have a good reason for confusing Final Fantasy Tactics with Tactics Ogre: they're pretty much the same game. Hell, Square hired the Tactics Ogre team to make Final Fantasy Tactics for them.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Winternet

They never ceased to be fun, in my case.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gamefreak9

Terran is still OP :P.

Zoidberg54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zoidberg54

I don’t want to give the impression that I ceased to enjoy games entirely or that games themselves weren’t being made “fun” anymore. I think I just had a feeling of personal oversaturation. In all fairness I did work for a certain video game retailer that gave me access to most everything. It’s just nice that I don’t feel compelled to play everything right when it comes out just because it’s there and somebody likes it. Hell, I tricked myself to thinking Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard was a serviceable game at one point.