Advice: My first (theoretical) PC build in over a decade.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I've been out of the desktop game for a long time, and I want back in. Trouble is, I use Logic for my music, but obviously if I'm planning on playing the copy of Thief I already so blithely bought I need Windows as well, so I need something capable of running both OS 10.9 and Windows 7.

Since the idea of trying to find a powerful build compatible with both OSes sounded like less than fun, I found this YouTube series:

Hackintosh Pro Project 2013

It includes:

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor

Asus Sabertooth X79 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM, 32GB (I'll probably halve that for now.)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Graphics Card

Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Professional 1050W Semi-Modular ATX PSU

Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower Case

I'd like something that will be capable of running games at 1920x1080 on high for the next couple of years. Storage and peripherals are already covered.

What do you guys think?

Note: Forum board search is broken, so I'm putting this in "Off-Topic." If a mod can slot this in "PC" I'd appreciate it.

i_Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By i_Dead

I have great experience with Gigabyte Motherboards, never had one break down. My friend had few issues with Asus brand, not the particular one you getting. The rest is pretty good, im sticking with i5 until games really start to struggle.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SlashDance

I'm not the biggest expert but I think it's way overkill, except for the graphics card, strangely enough.

I would get a cheaper CPU (an i5 is enough for gaming, but you could even get an i7 4770 for half the price and no difference in performance), a cheaper motherboard (you don't need anything above ~$200 unless you're using multiple GPUs and tons of fans or if you want the absolute best overclocking performance), a cheaper power supply (1050W for a single GTX670? whoever came up with this build is bonkers), basically a cheaper everything, and get a better video card instead.

It's hard to know how demanding games will be in two years, with all these fancy new engines and all, but since you seem to have a pretty high budget I'd recommend something high-end, like a GTX 780ti.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

seems cool dude. I mean I honestly think it's a good idea to fallow a video, helps make it go easier.

Are you worried about price? or performance? Or just the process of building it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

If you're interested in playing things on high for years to come, I'd get a much better GPU - If you can wait, my personal recommendation is to get the GTX 870 when it releases in a few months (?)

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013

i heard corsair PSUs went to shit this year. don't have any recommendations on what else to buy, that was always the safest bet when talking about people's builds and now it's not.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Don't you need an apple motherboard to install OSX?

I thought there was some proprietary chip in the motherboard they used to make sure people weren't just doing stuff like this.

Sound pretty cool though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

At 1920x1080, that build ought to run games well into the generation.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first looked into this build two days ago it was (literally) $500 cheaper. I figured since I already had storage the rest would run me about $1600-1800, which I could swing over the next few months.

It looks like I'll try to find a better GPU that's compatible. To avoid having to find a new CPU, I may just delay getting the thing for a paycheck longer than I otherwise would. Thanks, everyone, for your input so far!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't you need an apple motherboard to install OSX?

I thought there was some proprietary chip in the motherboard they used to make sure people weren't just doing stuff like this.

Sound pretty cool though.

Ever since the move to X86, you just need a board that has driver support in OSX. You can't use any willy nilly board to do it, but the selection's pretty big. Same goes for laptops, too. There are a few laptops you can hackintosh. Did it to a netbook of mine, just for the heck of it, and if it weren't a 10" netbook with a crappy trackpad and crappy screen, it'd be just as useful as my Macbook Pro since the HD3000 in it can play bugger all.