After College

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Frickincarl

How many of you are in college? If so, do you ever second guess your career path and wonder about what you are supposed to do after you graduate?

I will never forget the first big question my roommate asked me the first night I arrived back (I had left the school in 2008 to explore the "College Party" scene for a year).
He casually asked me "Dude, what do you do after you graduate? Do you just sell out and become a part of the system?"
He's partially joking, of course, but it's a very good question.
I've always seen movies and such about people who go adventuring and traveling after they graduate. I always thought that was because they were really into nature. If you think about it, though, once you graduate you have to start your life. That is it. That is where end-game begins.
I don't know about any of you guys but to me

that is scary!

So what do we do after college? I've pondered the question quite a bit. What do you guys think? If you are in college currently, what do you plan on doing once you get your degree? If you are planning on beginning college soon, what do you think about it? Have you ever given it a second thought?

Also, for the college graduates here, what did you do? I'd love to hear your stories and get some experienced advice about what to do.

Thanks in advanced for the consideration!

CARL OUT!

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Frickincarl

How many of you are in college? If so, do you ever second guess your career path and wonder about what you are supposed to do after you graduate?

I will never forget the first big question my roommate asked me the first night I arrived back (I had left the school in 2008 to explore the "College Party" scene for a year).
He casually asked me "Dude, what do you do after you graduate? Do you just sell out and become a part of the system?"
He's partially joking, of course, but it's a very good question.
I've always seen movies and such about people who go adventuring and traveling after they graduate. I always thought that was because they were really into nature. If you think about it, though, once you graduate you have to start your life. That is it. That is where end-game begins.
I don't know about any of you guys but to me

that is scary!

So what do we do after college? I've pondered the question quite a bit. What do you guys think? If you are in college currently, what do you plan on doing once you get your degree? If you are planning on beginning college soon, what do you think about it? Have you ever given it a second thought?

Also, for the college graduates here, what did you do? I'd love to hear your stories and get some experienced advice about what to do.

Thanks in advanced for the consideration!

CARL OUT!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iam3green

i am currently in college. it is hopefully going to be my last semester. i don't know what i am going to do when i graduate. the good thing is that this semester i am taking internship so i will get to see what it is going to be like.

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Frickincarl
@iam3green said:
" i am currently in college. it is hopefully going to be my last semester. i don't know what i am going to do when i graduate. the good thing is that this semester i am taking internship so i will get to see what it is going to be like. "
That's really cool. I'm currently 8 quarters in and I'm sort of fresh to the idea. How do you get into an internship? Is it as bad as everyone says it is?
I hope it all works out for you!
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green
@Frickincarl said:
" @iam3green said:
" i am currently in college. it is hopefully going to be my last semester. i don't know what i am going to do when i graduate. the good thing is that this semester i am taking internship so i will get to see what it is going to be like. "
That's really cool. I'm currently 8 quarters in and I'm sort of fresh to the idea. How do you get into an internship? Is it as bad as everyone says it is? I hope it all works out for you! "
internship is one of the requirements i need to graduate. my advertiser is like here are papers that you need for internship. 

my mom who works for an advertising agency (she's accountant) says that interning is stupid because it's slow there. the boss takes advantage of them, like getting him coffee and not actually learning anything. 

thanks, i hope i learn new tricks when i do intern.
dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dogbox

I'm only about halfway through University right now. I'm not in a particularly corporate stream, which can definitely make thinking about 'what's next' very stressful. Usually I try not to think about it, to be honest -- but I'm not super worried about it. I'm going to school to learn about what I like best, not just purely for a job.

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frickincarl
@Scheds said:
" I'm only about halfway through University right now. I'm not in a particularly corporate stream, which can definitely make thinking about 'what's next' very stressful. Usually I try not to think about it, to be honest -- but I'm not super worried about it. I'm going to school to learn about what I like best, not just purely for a job. "
That's a good way to think. Probably the best. I still can't help myself from questioning things like this, though.
I'm in the Graphic Design field, so my job opportunities are very open and broad, but very scary and competitive at the same time. 
I haven't really experimented with different majors yet, unfortunately.
Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@Frickincarl:
I graduated college in 2006, and I can tell you, it is certainly not the "end-game." In fact, I have more fun now.  

Here's a few things though: 
1. Yes your are required to be an adult now and get a job and make money and start paying bills. But hopefully you can find a job that pays enough that you'll also have more money for your hobbies. 

2. It's harder to meet/make friends or new ones. It's just the reality that you aren't around thousands of young people your age anymore. There are work friends and old school friends you'll have but, the reality is that your friends or yourself will start getting married, have kids and focus on a career and that takes time away.  

3. No homework. Which is amazing, because now you'll have plenty of free time to do the things you want. 

4. Again, no homework. I can't stress how awesome that is.  

5. I do wish I would have gotten my degree in Business as opposed to Advertising. But, that's what going to get my MBA is for.  

Ultimately, I still play games, I'm in a band and everything. There are ways to be both mature and do your hobbies, but the reality is you just have to grow-up a bit and not be so reckless. Remeber it's okay to drink like crazy in college, but once you are out of college, you're an alcoholic. 

PS. Good luck in graphic design, it is hard to get into, but REALLY rewarding and good pay if you are good and get into a good ad-firm or something like that.
Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Frickincarl
@Bobby_The_Great:   
Great advice!
You make a great point, the reason we go to college is to get a career and live well-off enough to do the things we love as hobbies. I'm still not positive Graphic Design is my absolute career, but at least once I'm done my options are far greater than if I didn't go through with it.
No homework! Does that mean there is rarely work to bring home? I don't want to be that guy who lets work take over his home.
It sounds like it has really worked out for you, I envy it. Sounds like everything I want my career to be like.
Thanks!
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

@Frickincarl:
It depends on what type of graphic desinging you are doing. If it's just like boring layout for a textbook company, chances are you aren't going to be taking stuff home and you'll be bored out of your mind. 

If it's something more creative like advertising or something like that, it'll be more fun, but you'll never "truly" stop working. Sure you'll have a set 40 hours, but as all creatives are, you're mind and ideas and wanting to get things down to remember them will always be working. 

The best advice I got when I got out of college are these tthree things: 1) Work to live, don't live to work unless you REALLY love what you do (meaning you made a hobby a job) and 2) don't sacrifice the things you love for work. Meaning don't give up time for your family, friends, happiness; and 3) if you leave work and are stressing about it or having nightmares about it, then it is not a job worth keeping.

I have a friend who is an accountant that has to work 60-80 hours a week on salary. Granted he makes $80,000 (in Texas that quite the sum for cost of living) but he NEVER has anytime to pursue his hobbies or even get to SPEND his money. So take that into account too. Money does not always equal happiness, just find a job that'll pay you enough to get by and live comfortably.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By pbhawks45

Dude, you hit the nail on the fucking head. I'm a journalism major, and right now, the job outlook is really bleak for us. I'm more interested in covering sports, but I really don't care what I cover as long as I can get a job with a healthy paycheck and benefits. Unfortuantely for me, freelancing is the way to go right now. That means I'd have to pay for any sort of insurance myself. AWESOME.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By m1k3

Right out of high school i went to ITT Tech into their Drafting and Design Program. After 2 years i graduated and started working full time in the job i got while while going to ITT. Now i've been working in my current job for 3+ years and i dont like this career path since there is no way to advance from a "drafter" and this economy isn't treating this field very well. So this past spring i went back to community college to gain credits to transfer out. I am most likely going to transfer to Academy of the Arts San Fransisco to enter their Video Game Design section (Computer animation & 3D modeling).

In short, it is possible to change your career path. obviously money is an issue though.

Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@pbhawks45:
Find a job in publishing such as working for Thomson Reuters (don't confuse it with JUST Reuters) or for a company that needs copywriters/editors and Freelance on the side. That way you get a steady 40-hour paycheck, benefits, and can do the Freelancing as well.
Avatar image for kowalskitakepoint
KowalskiTakePoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I go to northeastern University so Im in the coop program and get to go to 3 internships before I graduate. Hopefully that will better prepare me for the real world. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By time allen

i'm going to the liverpool institute of performing arts soon to study studio engineering (just so i can hone my recording technique and make my home recordings sound better than they currently do). as soon as i graduate, i'm going to spend the rest of my days trying to make a living out of being a musician. realistically, there are no other career paths i can imagine enjoying, and i am not spending the very short amount of time we are given as humans in a meaningless, boring job.i love making music, it really is the best thing, and if i can make just enough money to live off of by writing, recording, performing and just having the freedom to be creative when i feel like it, i'll be happy. it obviously won't happen straight away and i'll have to have a bunch of shitty jobs to start with just for cash flow, but if i can reach the point where i make a living out of my music, my life is fulfilled. even if i don't get to that point, i'm still going to chase it. i refuse to sit in an office writing reports about shit that i couldn't give less of a fuck about.

also: good luck with your future endeavours.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By markini6

Studying Joint Honors in French and Creative Writing at University. Basically, I'm fucked when it comes to finding a job :)

Oh yeah, good luck with the whole job thing

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By eternitymemory

I'm about to start my sophomore year. Last year I actually attended an all-women's college, but I had to withdraw and switch to a CC because of a sudden change in my family's financial circumstances. I'll miss that place. ) ' : 

I always planned on majoring in English Lit. It's what I'm good at and something I actually like to study. However, I want to minor in something more useful. From what I understand, English majors don't have very many job opportunities in the first place. I'm very close to hitting the next person who asks me if I'm going to be a teacher after I tell them what I want to major in. Kids are assholes in general, and I do not have the patience nor the tact to deal with them. -_- 

I was thinking about minoring in Journalism, but I'm still not 100% sold on the idea. I'm toying with the option of minoring in Computer Science, but I'm not exactly mathematically inclined. Gah, trying to sort all this crap out is stressful. 

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By s10129107

I graduated with honors with a Mech Engineering degree from a good school right when the economy crashed.  I couldnt get a job.  I didnt have a proper internship - i did a research internship with the school.  BIG mistake.  Most important thing in college is THE INTERNSHIP. 
 let me reiterate 

INTERNSHIP 
INTERNSHIP 
INTERNSHIP  

Get an internship or a coop if you want a job after school.

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Frickincarl
@eternitymemory:
Sounds like a rough situation. Journalism seems to be a really hot career as of late. A lot of the friends I had here in college were majoring in Game Art & Design before leaving to other colleges for Journalism.

I've never had to think about a minor, which may be a sign of myself being in a better spot than I think. My roommates have always told me I should be in Game Art but I don't think it's for me. I have a passion for playing games, but I don't have the same for making them.

But, yeah maybe Journalism is the best route for you. Everyone around me has been going over to it and, so far, no one has said anything but that they love it. English major and Journalism minor sounds like a really great combo.
Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Frickincarl
@s10129107:
Sounds like very experienced advice to me.
INTERNSHIP!
I'll definitely line that up for myself when the time comes.
Thanks for the heads up
ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ATrevelan

I graduated in May of 2009 and had no idea of what to do (I majored in Classical Studies, which is basically as useless as it gets.) My master plan was to travel, work, and basically enjoy still being young for about 5 years and then go to graduate school to become a teacher. Needless to say, the economy was absolute crap, so it was next to impossible to find a job in a non-profit, so I ended up working as a long term substitute teacher in Philadelphia teaching music to elementary school kids. That gave me a little money to put away, but I knew it wasn't a sustainable salary, so I applied to grad school and I'm now enrolled in a 10 month program to get a Masters and a teaching certification. It's full time, so I can't work on the side, but it'll pay dividends in the long run. I get certified, I jump up an entire pay grade thanks to the masters, and I still have summer vacations to travel when I'm done. 

I do wish I had the foresight to go to grad school LAST year, but I had a great year with a lot of experiences I wouldn't have dreamed of had I been in school or working full time. Enjoy yourself while you're young and resilient--your life is a lot more flexible now than you think it is, and more flexible than it will be in just a few years.

Frickincarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Frickincarl
@ATrevelan: 
Can do man!
If there is anything I always keep in mind, it's that I am only young for so long. Eventually I will have to grow up (as bobby pointed out). 
I try to live my life to the fullest while I'm young.
good advice. Maybe we can all learn from each other here. I'm really enjoying this thread.
Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Biddy

Funny you say, but I just graduated college this past May. I was fortunate to find a job and start work in August. Yes, I often thought of going to a trip after graduation as a way to congratulate myself. My wallet has a different idea. But that's not to say I still can't go on THAT trip. Especially once I have my job, I will be able to save my money to have a really good trip rather than a crappy one. There is always a bright side to things.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Osaladin

I finished my undergrad 2 years ago, and I was initially going to try and become a lawyer, mostly because my older brother is one, and there was some pressure from my family to follow that career path. I realized my last year however that I'm the one that has to be happy with my choices for the future and switched to pre-med which is what I wanted to do in the beginning, even though quite a few people told me that I probably couldn't do it. I am now finishing my 2nd year in med school, and it is the hardest thing I've ever done so far, but it is also the most gratifying.  

I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to find what you really want to do, if this means you have to take those career path tests then do it, and just stick with it. You are going to live your life and have to be content with what you've chosen as a career, not anyone else. I wouldn't really advise you to go "soul searching" or whatever as you tend to get lazy and unfocused. Just rough it out, it's only a few more years and you'll be glad you put in the hard work.