Album 'Hidden Tracks'

andymc1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By andymc1989

Does anyone else find these really annoying? 

It just means if you happen to like the actual song it's hidden in or just the hidden track, you have to open up Audacity and cut it up. 

If you're making an album and really want to add an extra song, just add the damn song.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MisterChief

A winrar archive doesn't have hidden tracks.

seanwithoutyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By seanwithoutyou

theres a song I really want to put on my phone but its like 18 minutes long because for some reason there HAS to be that long silence. it's pretty annoying yeah.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DrPockets000
@seanwithoutyou: I hate when songs do that. 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

They can be pretentious, but sometimes they can elevate an album to something more than just "an album". 

I remember the first time I heard a hidden track, it was after a long silence while I was waiting in a car on a dark, stormy blizzard night. 

It was silence for a while, I just stopped paying attention to the music. A while later, I heard.. whispers. and then just-out-of-hearing-range speeches. I had no idea what was going on, and then surreal music started, and eventually a song played, and it became one of my favourite songs. 

As annoying as it can sometimes be (thanks for ripping Tool - Undertow's 59 silent tracks, WMP), I think the one time it got me when I was a kid made it worth it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

it was pretty cool listening to London Calling when Train in Vain comes on unexpectedly.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014
@Pinworm45:  Which track was that?
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yep. It's the worst part about CDs.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pinworm45
@armaan8014 said:
" @Pinworm45:  Which track was that? "

Totally emo at this point, and I'll get some flak for it, but at the time I was a kid, emo wasn't a thing, and I thought this was totally badass as hell.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By armaan8014
@Pinworm45: Cool will give it a listen
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Clinkz

Not a fan of hidden tracks but "Something in the Way" by Nirvana was an amazing song that happened to have a hidden track on it. I probably should download audacity and cut the extra 20 min off of it...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Pinworm45 said:
" @armaan8014 said:

Totally emo at this point, and I'll get some flak for it, but at the time I was a kid, emo wasn't a thing, and I thought this was totally badass as hell. "
AFI are amazing. My favourite band.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

yeah, they are annoying to hear them. i hate the long silence in songs.

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liono88

I think its pretty awesome when bands do the whole hidden track thing, its like a reward for listening to the entire album. Or just the last song.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ape_dosmil
@Pinworm45:
Sing The Sorrow is a good album. I was well in to AFI at that time too. I saw them tour that album and they were excellent. I don't really listen to that style of music any more and I have no idea what AFI are up to these days but I still think Sing the Sorrow holds up. The production is brilliant. The album I always associate with hidden tracks is Nevermind (also Butch Vig produced). I think it was the first album I owned with a hidden track.
isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By isles

Bitches Ain't Shit comes to mind, also that one on Miseducation of Lauren Hill is pretty memorable for a hidden track.

neokef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By neokef
@Pinworm45: 
AFI did THAT hidden track right. It just wasn't a long silence, it was a poem that lasted about 8 minutes.  
As for the following bands, they shouldn't make me wait just for a brief audio clip of the band or situation (Korn & Throwdown), a song that may have not been worth it (Slipknot & Between the Buried and Me) or just nothing at all (Chimaira):
Nirvana - Nevermind (Something In The Way)
Between the Buried and Me - The Silent Circus (The Need for Repetition)
Throwdown - Haymaker (Raise Your Fist)
Slipknot - Slipknot (Scissors/Eyesore)
Korn - Korn (Daddy)
Gojira- The Way of All Flesh (The Way of All Flesh)
Nonpoint-To the Pain (Hidden Track [Go fucking figure])
Matchbook Romance-Voices (I Wish You Were Here)
AFI - Answer That and Stay Fashionable (High School Football Hero) [Good thing they didn't do that with ...But Home is Nowhere.)
Chimaira-The Infection (The Heart of it All)
30 Seconds to Mars-A Beautiful Lie (A Modern Myth)
Nonpoint (again)-Recoil (Reward & Past It All [Acoustic])
Anthrax-Volume 8 - The Threat Is Real (Stealing from a Theft)
And plenty more have done this is as well.

They just need to stop.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45
@NeoKef: If I remember right, there IS silence on the AFI song, the youtube video just removed it. I'm pretty sure there was 4 minutes of silence. 

Maybe I'm wrong though, It's been a while. 

And the worst offender to this is by far is one of the korn albums, I can't remember which, but it had about 20 songs of silence at the very start. Every time I put that CD in when I was a fan, I thought it was broken.  

Making you wait at the end for a hidden song is one thing, but waiting at the start was just silly.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Blur has a really different approach to it's hidden track on it's Think Tank album. You need to put the CD in a CD player, go to the first song, then rewind the track and you'll find it. It's called "Me, White Noise". It's weird because I posted this song in another thread a few hours ago :P It's actually my favorite song on the whole album, and that is one damn good album

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By nintendoeats

When I was young I listened to this one They Might Be Giants album over and over again. I would just have it on. It took me ages to realize that these absurd songs about the planet of the apes were preceded by several minutes of silence. They have another one where you actually have to reverse the CD from track one in order to find it.

Its annoying as hell, but a band that geeky can get away with it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

I like hidden tracks... well rather, I LIKED them back before all media players showed the track length. They used to be nice surprises when you forgot to change the CD or flip the cassette. Now they're annoyances since, like the OP mentioned, you have to chop them up to remove the silence. I wish devices used silence recognition and cut out the long blanknesses automatically.

edit: Backmasking is the best way to implement hidden music.

edit2: then there are the hidden tracks that are super quiet and you have to have been listening to the last song pretty loud to realize there was anything coming up after it. Disgustipated from Tool for example.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sameeeeam
@FancySoapsMan: Yeah, that was a pretty memorable hidden track
callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By callumbay

The only hidden tracks I actually like that I can think of are at the end of Biffy Clyro's Vertigo of Bliss and Infinity Land, and Laura Marling's Alas I Cannot Swim. Other than that, all the ones I've heard aren't really that memorable.

neokef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By neokef
@Pinworm45:  
Its only a minute of silence before the piano comes in. I'm listening to it right now. As for Korn, I know that my copies of Korn, Untitled, Untouchables, and Issues don't have any beginning silence in them.

BUT, My Chemical Romance did do that as well with "Blood" (off of The Black Parade.)
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Undertow by Tool has a creepyyyy hidden track at track 94.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By anarchyzombie9
@FancySoapsMan said:
" it was pretty cool listening to London Calling when Train in Vain comes on unexpectedly. "
Train in Vain isn't really a hidden track man. 
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Bruce

I don't like it because like most BONUS tracks, they always suck.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By BlastProcessing
@HandsomeDead said:

AFI are amazing. My favourite band.

No Caption Provided

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zityz

Any of tools hidden tracks are fucked, but in a good way. My favorite remains to be Lateralis when that dude just starts kinda talking all paraniod about aliens and the government or some shit. The first time i heard that I had Headphones on and I kinda fell asleep. Well it came on and it woke me up and freaked me out. 

but I agree hidden tracks that are songs shouldn't exist. In the case of Korn ( follow the leader) where you have to wait 23 fucking tracks before it comes on and even on the damn album its labeled as such, or in the case of issues where its god damn static for like 10 minutes with nothing inbetween.  

Since this is kind of on topic. I hate when you rip an album onto your music player of choice... and the god damn thing is half tracked. What I mean by that is half a song is on one track then it carries over onto another track but if you skip it it skips half the song. ( queens of the stoneage and fly leaf......I'm looking at you)

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RockAction
@xyzygy said:
" Blur has a really different approach to it's hidden track on it's Think Tank album. You need to put the CD in a CD player, go to the first song, then rewind the track and you'll find it. "

I dont mind hidden tracks in general, as someone posted it can turn a good album into a great memory by catching you off guard the first time  
but i don't understand these ones where they are like track 0 and you have to rewind track 1 to get there, only time i've experienced it was on one of the numerous iggy and the stooges compilations and its a radio advert from 73 i think and it plays before the first track; totally pointless 

i do like hidden tracks though, they can be quite effective and usually hid a great song, it was about a year before i realised there was a hidden track on youth and young manhood - because i usually just stopped the album / ejected the disc and the hidden track on the new prince CD is probably the best song on the album - its track 77
isles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By isles

Bloc Party did that with Silent Alarm too, I quite like that because it's unique to the physical versions most of the time.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ape_dosmil
@NeoKef said:

" @Pinworm45: As for Korn, I know that my copies of Korn, Untitled, Untouchables, and Issues don't have any beginning silence in them."

It was Follow The Leader with the silent tracks at the beginning. Very irritating.

@Bruce

said:

" I don't like it because like most BONUS tracks, they always suck. "

I don't really think it's the same. Bonus tracks are usually stuck on by the record label to sell a re-release or a region specific issue. Hidden tracks are usually there by intention. The artist wanted them there. I suppose they do often suck though.
xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@HandsomeDead said:
" @Pinworm45 said:
" @armaan8014 said:

Totally emo at this point, and I'll get some flak for it, but at the time I was a kid, emo wasn't a thing, and I thought this was totally badass as hell. "
AFI are amazing. My favourite band. "

This is one of the greatest songs ever written, and one of the best albums of all time. \ 

I won't speak for their other material, but this is unarguably some of the greatest music the genre has ever seen.
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By dichemstys

The pregap ones (the tracks that are before the CD actually starts) are neat sometimes. I remember there was one on AFI's decemberunderground.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nick_verissimo

I think hidden tracks only really worked when cassettes and records were the only real methods of listening to music. With CD's and MP3's, they don't have the same impact seeing as you know they are coming based on the 18 minute track listing when the band only plays 4-5 minute songs.  There's no real impact to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pinworm45 said:
" They can be pretentious, but sometimes they can elevate an album to something more than just "an album".  I remember the first time I heard a hidden track, it was after a long silence while I was waiting in a car on a dark, stormy blizzard night.  It was silence for a while, I just stopped paying attention to the music. A while later, I heard.. whispers. and then just-out-of-hearing-range speeches. I had no idea what was going on, and then surreal music started, and eventually a song played, and it became one of my favourite songs.  As annoying as it can sometimes be (thanks for ripping Tool - Undertow's 59 silent tracks, WMP), I think the one time it got me when I was a kid made it worth it. "
Ha. I instantly knew the exact song you were talking about. Probably because I discovered it in a similar experience. 
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By chrissedoff

it seemed like this shit was all the rage in the nineties. really, it's just a complete pain in the ass, and totally obnoxious. if you're going to put the son on the album, put it somewhere i can find it. if you don't consider it worthy of its own track, cut it.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By xMP44x

I only know of one hidden track from all the albums I have. It is 26 minutes long, and something like 24 of those minutes are complete silence. The song is called 'Pendulous Skin', by Mastodon. I have never managed to listen to the entire track due to its sheer length and the majority of it being silent. However, if I download Audacity I'll probably cut that additional time off. I don't think I've heard more than a few seconds of the actual song, if any of it. Seeing as I only know of the one hidden track I don't really mind them, but they could be annoying if you were to have a lot of albums with them.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By dichemstys
@ape_dosmil said:
" @NeoKef said:

" @Pinworm45: As for Korn, I know that my copies of Korn, Untitled, Untouchables, and Issues don't have any beginning silence in them."

It was Follow The Leader with the silent tracks at the beginning. Very irritating. "
Aw, crap, man, I just remembered that one.
Griffinhollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Griffinhollow
@xMP44x said:
" I only know of one hidden track from all the albums I have. It is 26 minutes long, and something like 24 of those minutes are complete silence. The song is called 'Pendulous Skin', by Mastodon. I have never managed to listen to the entire track due to its sheer length and the majority of it being silent. However, if I download Audacity I'll probably cut that additional time off. I don't think I've heard more than a few seconds of the actual song, if any of it. Seeing as I only know of the one hidden track I don't really mind them, but they could be annoying if you were to have a lot of albums with them. "
The hidden track is just a message the band got from Josh Homme.