Album of the Week #03

heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By heavymtlhead

Hey everyone! Since its Friday the 13, I thought it would be fitting to have this week’s album honor one of the greatest shock rockers of all time, Alice Cooper. I’ve read the feedback and I will continue to write full length reviews. Thanks everybody for reading!

Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper

No Caption Provided

Welcome to My Nightmare is the debut for Alice Cooper as a solo artist (since he has adopted the band’s name as his own). This concept album tells the story of a young boy named Steven who is having a series of nightmares that he cannot seem to wake up from. The album begins with the eerie title track that serves as a great introduction for what’s to come. Next is the heavy rocker Devils Food that ends with a monologue by none other than horror legend Vincent Price. This leads into The Black Widow, complete with creepy choruses and slick guitar soloing. Some Folks is in the style of a show tune while still being a rock classic. Alice Cooper shows his sensitive side with Only Woman Bleed, telling the story of a woman who is abused by her husband. This song is among many of the great rock ballads and puts his heart and soul into his performance. Department of Youth continues in ’s ability to inspire rebellion through rock anthems (and includes a very funny line at the end). Cold Ethyl is another hard rock classic that tells about the life of prostitute……….yeah that’s about it.

At this point, the album focuses back to the main story revolving around Steven. The musical styling of Years Ago does a great job of creating a creepy atmosphere that can chill the bones. This trend of atmospheric build up continues with Steven, a truly disturbing epic which serves as the climax to the story. is able to become the character through his singing and tone. Steven finally wakes up (The Awakening) and major plot twist is revealed. The album finally closes with uplifting (music wise) track Escape which is a fitting end to a masterpiece in both concept and music.

If there was an album that had the ability to truly freak me the shit out, this was the one. is the father of horror in rock n’ roll and is one of the most important figures in rock history. This is a record that needs to be experienced personally and is among the greatest rock albums ever conceived.

Standout Tracks:

Welcome to My Nightmare

Black Widow

Only Women Bleed

Cold Ethyl

Steven

heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By heavymtlhead

Hey everyone! Since its Friday the 13, I thought it would be fitting to have this week’s album honor one of the greatest shock rockers of all time, Alice Cooper. I’ve read the feedback and I will continue to write full length reviews. Thanks everybody for reading!

Welcome to My Nightmare - Alice Cooper

No Caption Provided

Welcome to My Nightmare is the debut for Alice Cooper as a solo artist (since he has adopted the band’s name as his own). This concept album tells the story of a young boy named Steven who is having a series of nightmares that he cannot seem to wake up from. The album begins with the eerie title track that serves as a great introduction for what’s to come. Next is the heavy rocker Devils Food that ends with a monologue by none other than horror legend Vincent Price. This leads into The Black Widow, complete with creepy choruses and slick guitar soloing. Some Folks is in the style of a show tune while still being a rock classic. Alice Cooper shows his sensitive side with Only Woman Bleed, telling the story of a woman who is abused by her husband. This song is among many of the great rock ballads and puts his heart and soul into his performance. Department of Youth continues in ’s ability to inspire rebellion through rock anthems (and includes a very funny line at the end). Cold Ethyl is another hard rock classic that tells about the life of prostitute……….yeah that’s about it.

At this point, the album focuses back to the main story revolving around Steven. The musical styling of Years Ago does a great job of creating a creepy atmosphere that can chill the bones. This trend of atmospheric build up continues with Steven, a truly disturbing epic which serves as the climax to the story. is able to become the character through his singing and tone. Steven finally wakes up (The Awakening) and major plot twist is revealed. The album finally closes with uplifting (music wise) track Escape which is a fitting end to a masterpiece in both concept and music.

If there was an album that had the ability to truly freak me the shit out, this was the one. is the father of horror in rock n’ roll and is one of the most important figures in rock history. This is a record that needs to be experienced personally and is among the greatest rock albums ever conceived.

Standout Tracks:

Welcome to My Nightmare

Black Widow

Only Women Bleed

Cold Ethyl

Steven

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3