American "Forties" or Malt Liquor in other countries

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ItBeStefYo

I live in the UK and have always wondered what the american "forty" tastes like, It's always seemed like a good thing to get you drunk and considering my tastes are not the most refined I figured it would be perfect for me.

In the UK the best things I have found are 7.5% dry cider "frosty jacks" and carlsberg "special brew" which is 9%

Anyone have experience and can tell me exactly what a forty relates to most and how it tastes?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A "forty" refers to a forty ounce beer which is a little more than a liter. It just tastes like normal beer. Sometimes I'll get a forty of Budweiser or Yuengling.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Winternet

Why would anyone drink a forty instead of drinking 3 or 4 beers?

bagrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bagrm

@wolverine said:

A "forty" refers to a forty ounce beer which is a little more than a liter. It just tastes like normal beer. Sometimes I'll get a forty of Budweiser or Yuengling.

A forty is not exactly beer, and doesn't taste much like beer either. A forty is 40 ounces of malt liquor (basically cheap beer with a high alcohol content) like Mickey's, Old English, Colt 45, etc. It tastes like shitty beer with more of an alcohol bite to it.

Edit: Just saw you mentioned Carlsberg special brew, it is really similar to that, but in a 40 oz bottle.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Clearly he wants to set up a game of forties hands and the giantbomb community is morally obligated to help him. Can you mail alcohol internationally?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By Danteveli

Back in Poland we have pretty cheap beer going around 13% but I don't think you can get it in 40 ounces version.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Special brew and frosty jacks? Are you a fucking tramp? Stay away from that shit dear god.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Forty's suck and are for cheap lushes. Halfway through it the beer gets warm and basically sucks. Real men do the 12 ounce press or the 16 ounce slam.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@winternet: It's more convenient to carry around in a brown paper bag so the popo don't hassle you on the street.

Number one beverage choice for the homeless. Other people do it because they think it looks gangsta

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

40's are only worth it when you go with something like Steel Reserve which has 8.1% alcohol by volume. First time I ever blacked out was after drinking two of those. Good times...

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@jeffgoldblum said:

Clearly he wants to set up a game of forties hands and the giantbomb community is morally obligated to help him. Can you mail alcohol internationally?

Did you read my mind? haha unfortunately there is no 1 litre bottle of carlsberg special D: any donations appreciated ;)

@alexw00d said:

Special brew and frosty jacks? Are you a fucking tramp? Stay away from that shit dear god.

I need to build up my beer gut, 390 calories per can of special is going to work wonders on my weight gaining efforts :)

gelf513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By gelf513

It depends on what brand you get, and of course what your individual tastes are. For instance Budweiser makes a 40oz bottle that is exactly the same as their 12oz bottle in terms of alcohol percentage and taste. Popular 40s, at least in Long Island, NY where I'm from are Olde English 800 and Colt 45. They taste alright, not my favorite but not bad either. In addition, they're cheap as hell and do get you buzzed/drunk if you drink 'em quick enough.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

@itbestefyo: But drink 2 cans of Special Brew and you'll just be puking all those calories back up. You're better off drinking a decent beer instead.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only drink forties in movie theaters.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would anyone drink a forty instead of drinking 3 or 4 beers?

Because you can get a 40 of old english, which is more alcoholic than most beers, for like 2 dollars.