#1 Posted by brophdog (91 posts) -

So the last couple months ive been picking up a used or older game every payday to start rebuilding my game collection. And this weeks no different. So im kind of torn between GTA4 wich ive played and beaten and really enjoy or The Witcher 2 wich ive never played. Ive been on a fantasy kick latley so it might be time to switch it up. So in short GTA4 or Witcher 2. Thanks Bombers.

#2 Posted by WonderboyCoz (153 posts) -

The Witcher 2 because you've never played it and you should!

#3 Posted by UlquioKani (1156 posts) -

I feel GTAIV aged poorly and it's also not a new experience for you so I advice on the Witcher 2. I had a blast with that. Been playing GTAIV recently and the game feels slow and awkward to control when on foot and the game has a really slow opening.

#4 Edited by whitespider (95 posts) -

Look, giant bombers deserve a little bit of credit, they don't fall into the major-mainstream-ign-user kind of bracket where users hear "grand theft auto 4 is overrated" a bunch of times and then parrot it back. And that's the thing in the end, if 14 different people - including me , say "play the witcher 2" that does not mean - in any way - that the witcher 2 is the game you should play. We are simply 14 people. Out of billions. Either giving a legitimate or uninspired viewpoint. Depending on it's originality.

So in that light, I am going to tell you my experiences with those games. Rather than just say "witcher 2, gta 4 is overrated lol ". Because I am 28, not 17.

Grand theft auto 4 is a weighty crime game with a lot of shootouts, car chases, a major robbery moment, and more. It's characters stand out, and it's not over the top. Neither is the witcher 2. Which is more self series than even gta 4 . Both feel 'lived in'. If you like a lot of traditional mafia talk about taking someone out because they wronged you, then grand theft auto's dialog will probably draw you in more. If you like witty banter, ideologies, political undertones transposed on a dark fantasy Canvas. Then the witcher 2 pulls that off.

The thing I really like about the witcher 2, is how interesting and compelling each individual component of the game is. You want to explore every inch, discovery every line, try everything the game has to offer you, and then you want to see the tale to it's dark, yet kind of intoxicating conclusion. The thing I don't really like is the messy interface.

The thing I really like about gta 4, is how it feels grounded. In comical crime open world games, it feels 'funny and then suddenly dull". Shallow. Action in grand theft auto 4 is heavy. When you are in a car chase it feels like a wrong turn could cripple the entire mission. When you slam into a wall you jolt forward. The game feels like a tank, and I think that's fantastic. Also, grand theft auto 4 has the most immersive and utterly detailed 'completely bare' world ever made. There is not a great deal to do in it, however the construction makes you simply want to inhabit the immese detail. The major weakness for me is that the whole mafia thing left me feeling a little cold, the game sometimes just feels like a construct for the missions.

Whereas in the witcher 2, the story more naturally flows and belongs to the world itself.

#5 Posted by themangalist (1742 posts) -

@UlquioKani said:

I feel GTAIV aged poorly and it's also not a new experience for you so I advice on the Witcher 2. I had a blast with that. Been playing GTAIV recently and the game feels slow and awkward to control when on foot and the game has a really slow opening.

It still has one of the best openings of all time methinks. But ya, Witcher 2 is amazing.

#6 Posted by brophdog (91 posts) -

See this is why its so hard. The Witcher 2s world and story seem amazing. But GTA4 is my perfect podcast listening to game. I appreciate the discussion from all sides.

#7 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

#8 Posted by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption, get Witcher 2.

#10 Posted by kindgineer (2789 posts) -

How is there any competition between a game that you haven't played, and have? Not to mention, you're onto a fantasy kick - so the obvious choice is Witcher 2.

Seems like you already convinced yourself before posting!

Also, save up and buy Halo 4. Now.

#11 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Witcher 2 , you already played GTA4

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

Witcher 2. No contest.

#13 Posted by believer258 (12082 posts) -

@whitespider said:

Look, giant bombers deserve a little bit of credit, they don't fall into the major-mainstream-ign-user kind of bracket where users hear "grand theft auto 4 is overrated" a bunch of times and then parrot it back. And that's the thing in the end, if 14 different people - including me , say "play the witcher 2" that does not mean - in any way - that the witcher 2 is the game you should play. We are simply 14 people. Out of billions. Either giving a legitimate or uninspired viewpoint. Depending on it's originality.

So in that light, I am going to tell you my experiences with those games. Rather than just say "witcher 2, gta 4 is overrated lol ". Because I am 28, not 17.

Grand theft auto 4 is a weighty crime game with a lot of shootouts, car chases, a major robbery moment, and more. It's characters stand out, and it's not over the top. Neither is the witcher 2. Which is more self series than even gta 4 . Both feel 'lived in'. If you like a lot of traditional mafia talk about taking someone out because they wronged you, then grand theft auto's dialog will probably draw you in more. If you like witty banter, ideologies, political undertones transposed on a dark fantasy Canvas. Then the witcher 2 pulls that off.

The thing I really like about the witcher 2, is how interesting and compelling each individual component of the game is. You want to explore every inch, discovery every line, try everything the game has to offer you, and then you want to see the tale to it's dark, yet kind of intoxicating conclusion. The thing I don't really like is the messy interface.

The thing I really like about gta 4, is how it feels grounded. In comical crime open world games, it feels 'funny and then suddenly dull". Shallow. Action in grand theft auto 4 is heavy. When you are in a car chase it feels like a wrong turn could cripple the entire mission. When you slam into a wall you jolt forward. The game feels like a tank, and I think that's fantastic. Also, grand theft auto 4 has the most immersive and utterly detailed 'completely bare' world ever made. There is not a great deal to do in it, however the construction makes you simply want to inhabit the immese detail. The major weakness for me is that the whole mafia thing left me feeling a little cold, the game sometimes just feels like a construct for the missions.

Whereas in the witcher 2, the story more naturally flows and belongs to the world itself.

What if I say "The Witcher 2" not because I'm following the bandwagon but because I feel like GTA4 has aged poorly?

I haven't actually played The Witcher 2, and I don't think that GTA4 is a bad game, but now that I've played a bit of GTA 4 I would pick The Witcher 2.

#14 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I'd only get GTA4 if you can get the whole collection (the one that includes the expansions). I've been on a real kick to play GTA4 again lately as well. But I do already have the Witcher 2, so I can't make that call for you.

#15 Posted by ki11tank (682 posts) -

seems pretty simple, the witcher 2, it was a great game.

#16 Posted by Ben_H (3408 posts) -

GTAIV only you get the DLC expansions and you haven't played them. Haven't finished The Ballad of Gay Tony yet, but The Lost and Damned is absolutely amazing. I probably had more fun with that than the main game. 
 
Otherwise, Witcher 2. I need to play that too. I even own it and I haven't played it.

#17 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

GTA IV is a great game, but you haven't played The Witcher 2 and it's pretty good too. Get The Witcher 2.

Moderator
#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

Get the game you never played before. Honestly, I would wait for black friday and pick up 2-4 games and skip them for the next few pay checks. It will make up for it.

#19 Posted by Marcsman (3256 posts) -

Get a massage with a happy ending instead.

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

Implying poor people are also smelly. I like your style.

#21 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

Get the game you never played before. Honestly, I would wait for black friday and pick up 2-4 games and skip them for the next few pay checks. It will make up for it.

Good call. That's pretty soon.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I played GTAIV earlier this year, it aged horribly, feels so dated in comparison to Saints Row the Third.

#23 Edited by Trainer_Red (314 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

Implying poor people are also smelly. I like your style.

I said dirty... but yeah same thing.

EDIT:

Nope... I did imply smelly as well. I surprise myself sometimes.

#24 Posted by Fattony12000 (7588 posts) -

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

I CAN'T EVEN AFFORD DIRT TO PUT ON MY LAUNDRY.

THANKS #OBAMACARE2012

#25 Posted by ch3burashka (5175 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

Implying poor people are also smelly. I like your style.

Implying they aren't.

#26 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3211 posts) -

Witcher 2, especially since you haven't played it.

#27 Posted by 49th (2813 posts) -

The thing you haven't played before.

#28 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@WonderboyCoz

The Witcher 2 because you've never played it and you should!

This.
#29 Posted by OneManX (1693 posts) -

If you played GTA IV, just get the episodes and play them... the GTAIV DLC is some of the best DLC this gen. If you have no interest in playing the DLC, get The Witcher 2. You can't go wrong either way.

#30 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

I would say The Witcher 2. I have played the game a little and really enjoyed it. And GTA gets pretty samey after a while. Though the Witcher is hard to get into.