Another payday decision

brophdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By brophdog

So the last couple months ive been picking up a used or older game every payday to start rebuilding my game collection. And this weeks no different. So im kind of torn between GTA4 wich ive played and beaten and really enjoy or The Witcher 2 wich ive never played. Ive been on a fantasy kick latley so it might be time to switch it up. So in short GTA4 or Witcher 2. Thanks Bombers.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By WonderboyCoz

The Witcher 2 because you've never played it and you should!

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UlquioKani

I feel GTAIV aged poorly and it's also not a new experience for you so I advice on the Witcher 2. I had a blast with that. Been playing GTAIV recently and the game feels slow and awkward to control when on foot and the game has a really slow opening.

whitespider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whitespider

Look, giant bombers deserve a little bit of credit, they don't fall into the major-mainstream-ign-user kind of bracket where users hear "grand theft auto 4 is overrated" a bunch of times and then parrot it back. And that's the thing in the end, if 14 different people - including me , say "play the witcher 2" that does not mean - in any way - that the witcher 2 is the game you should play. We are simply 14 people. Out of billions. Either giving a legitimate or uninspired viewpoint. Depending on it's originality.

So in that light, I am going to tell you my experiences with those games. Rather than just say "witcher 2, gta 4 is overrated lol ". Because I am 28, not 17.

Grand theft auto 4 is a weighty crime game with a lot of shootouts, car chases, a major robbery moment, and more. It's characters stand out, and it's not over the top. Neither is the witcher 2. Which is more self series than even gta 4 . Both feel 'lived in'. If you like a lot of traditional mafia talk about taking someone out because they wronged you, then grand theft auto's dialog will probably draw you in more. If you like witty banter, ideologies, political undertones transposed on a dark fantasy Canvas. Then the witcher 2 pulls that off.

The thing I really like about the witcher 2, is how interesting and compelling each individual component of the game is. You want to explore every inch, discovery every line, try everything the game has to offer you, and then you want to see the tale to it's dark, yet kind of intoxicating conclusion. The thing I don't really like is the messy interface.

The thing I really like about gta 4, is how it feels grounded. In comical crime open world games, it feels 'funny and then suddenly dull". Shallow. Action in grand theft auto 4 is heavy. When you are in a car chase it feels like a wrong turn could cripple the entire mission. When you slam into a wall you jolt forward. The game feels like a tank, and I think that's fantastic. Also, grand theft auto 4 has the most immersive and utterly detailed 'completely bare' world ever made. There is not a great deal to do in it, however the construction makes you simply want to inhabit the immese detail. The major weakness for me is that the whole mafia thing left me feeling a little cold, the game sometimes just feels like a construct for the missions.

Whereas in the witcher 2, the story more naturally flows and belongs to the world itself.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themangalist

@UlquioKani said:

I feel GTAIV aged poorly and it's also not a new experience for you so I advice on the Witcher 2. I had a blast with that. Been playing GTAIV recently and the game feels slow and awkward to control when on foot and the game has a really slow opening.

It still has one of the best openings of all time methinks. But ya, Witcher 2 is amazing.

brophdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brophdog

See this is why its so hard. The Witcher 2s world and story seem amazing. But GTA4 is my perfect podcast listening to game. I appreciate the discussion from all sides.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By fattony12000

I've been without a pay day for over six months.

THANKS FOR BRINING IT UP DUDER.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Trainer_Red

@Fattony12000 said:

Damn.... just airing out your dirty laundry er what?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Red Dead Redemption, get Witcher 2.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By kindgineer

How is there any competition between a game that you haven't played, and have? Not to mention, you're onto a fantasy kick - so the obvious choice is Witcher 2.

Seems like you already convinced yourself before posting!

Also, save up and buy Halo 4. Now.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By kerse

Witcher 2 , you already played GTA4

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

Witcher 2. No contest.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Justin258

@whitespider said:

Look, giant bombers deserve a little bit of credit, they don't fall into the major-mainstream-ign-user kind of bracket where users hear "grand theft auto 4 is overrated" a bunch of times and then parrot it back. And that's the thing in the end, if 14 different people - including me , say "play the witcher 2" that does not mean - in any way - that the witcher 2 is the game you should play. We are simply 14 people. Out of billions. Either giving a legitimate or uninspired viewpoint. Depending on it's originality.

So in that light, I am going to tell you my experiences with those games. Rather than just say "witcher 2, gta 4 is overrated lol ". Because I am 28, not 17.

Grand theft auto 4 is a weighty crime game with a lot of shootouts, car chases, a major robbery moment, and more. It's characters stand out, and it's not over the top. Neither is the witcher 2. Which is more self series than even gta 4 . Both feel 'lived in'. If you like a lot of traditional mafia talk about taking someone out because they wronged you, then grand theft auto's dialog will probably draw you in more. If you like witty banter, ideologies, political undertones transposed on a dark fantasy Canvas. Then the witcher 2 pulls that off.

The thing I really like about the witcher 2, is how interesting and compelling each individual component of the game is. You want to explore every inch, discovery every line, try everything the game has to offer you, and then you want to see the tale to it's dark, yet kind of intoxicating conclusion. The thing I don't really like is the messy interface.

The thing I really like about gta 4, is how it feels grounded. In comical crime open world games, it feels 'funny and then suddenly dull". Shallow. Action in grand theft auto 4 is heavy. When you are in a car chase it feels like a wrong turn could cripple the entire mission. When you slam into a wall you jolt forward. The game feels like a tank, and I think that's fantastic. Also, grand theft auto 4 has the most immersive and utterly detailed 'completely bare' world ever made. There is not a great deal to do in it, however the construction makes you simply want to inhabit the immese detail. The major weakness for me is that the whole mafia thing left me feeling a little cold, the game sometimes just feels like a construct for the missions.

Whereas in the witcher 2, the story more naturally flows and belongs to the world itself.

What if I say "The Witcher 2" not because I'm following the bandwagon but because I feel like GTA4 has aged poorly?

I haven't actually played The Witcher 2, and I don't think that GTA4 is a bad game, but now that I've played a bit of GTA 4 I would pick The Witcher 2.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

I'd only get GTA4 if you can get the whole collection (the one that includes the expansions). I've been on a real kick to play GTA4 again lately as well. But I do already have the Witcher 2, so I can't make that call for you.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15  Edited By ki11tank

seems pretty simple, the witcher 2, it was a great game.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Ben_H

GTAIV only you get the DLC expansions and you haven't played them. Haven't finished The Ballad of Gay Tony yet, but The Lost and Damned is absolutely amazing. I probably had more fun with that than the main game. 

Otherwise, Witcher 2. I need to play that too. I even own it and I haven't played it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

GTA IV is a great game, but you haven't played The Witcher 2 and it's pretty good too. Get The Witcher 2.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

Get the game you never played before. Honestly, I would wait for black friday and pick up 2-4 games and skip them for the next few pay checks. It will make up for it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Marcsman

Get a massage with a happy ending instead.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Ravenlight

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Implying poor people are also smelly. I like your style.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Levio

@crusader8463 said:

Get the game you never played before. Honestly, I would wait for black friday and pick up 2-4 games and skip them for the next few pay checks. It will make up for it.

Good call. That's pretty soon.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

I played GTAIV earlier this year, it aged horribly, feels so dated in comparison to Saints Row the Third.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Trainer_Red

@Ravenlight said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I said dirty... but yeah same thing.

EDIT:

Nope... I did imply smelly as well. I surprise myself sometimes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By fattony12000

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

I CAN'T EVEN AFFORD DIRT TO PUT ON MY LAUNDRY.

THANKS #OBAMACARE2012

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

@Ravenlight said:

@Trainer_Red said:

@Fattony12000 said:

Implying they aren't.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By dichemstys

Witcher 2, especially since you haven't played it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 49th

The thing you haven't played before.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@WonderboyCoz

The Witcher 2 because you've never played it and you should!

This.
OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By OneManX

If you played GTA IV, just get the episodes and play them... the GTAIV DLC is some of the best DLC this gen. If you have no interest in playing the DLC, get The Witcher 2. You can't go wrong either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say The Witcher 2. I have played the game a little and really enjoyed it. And GTA gets pretty samey after a while. Though the Witcher is hard to get into.