Any Spoony Experiment fans?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By John1912

With all the Quick looks, Endurance runs, and Random PC games vids, realized I hadnt checked out Spoony's site in a while. Hes been doing those types of vids/riffs for years. Would be surprised if Quick looks, Endurance runs, and Random PC games vids werent a little bit inspired by Spoony in some fashion. Should check the site out. Anyone got any favorite vids? The Warrior comics are pretty mind blowing imo. The end with Santa is fucking priceless imo. Also enjoyed the Ultima ones as I was really fond of Ultima 7 as i teen.

His lets play would be the endurance runs, Swat's pretty good, but all are pretty worth checking out

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2009/05/21/atop-the-fourth-wall-warrior-1/

http://spoonyexperiment.com/video-list/

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Voxus

I watched his run of Phantasmagoria 2 recently after Dave and Vinbros run through of the original. It was pretty flat at first but it got better after the second video or so. The Horatio moment was the best though.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vonocourt

Used to be, but then I got annoyed at how whiny he can be a lot of the time. Yelling at his fans for "making" him go see Transformers: Dark of the Man, whatever bro. Though I do think I'm just tired of internet humor reviewers in general.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Legend

I watched most of his video and I enjoyed a lot of them. So, I guess, yeah.. I'm a fan. It's sad that the quality of his videos has dropped recently, though.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

He can be very funny, shame he's a complete asshole.

Still better than that awful cunt in the OPs avatar.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By XenoNick

Yeah I'm a fan. He seems to have bounced back from his split with his girlfriend. The end of his Twilight: Breaking Dawn V-log where he was pretty pissed and started getting a bit down was a low point. Looks like his dog, Oreo is being used to fill that gap.

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigdaddy81

@Legend: You should check out the Ultima 8 and Final Fantasy X-2 videos he just put up. He seemed back in full form for those reviews and I laughed my ass off.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IAmNotBatman

I'm a fan of his work but also get burnt out on it quite easily, maybe its 'cos I won't look at the site for a couple of months then catch up on the content I missed. Rinse and repeat.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By leinad44

I used to be a massive fan of his. But in recent years he's made a move for sketch comedy, that doesn't really work for me. He's at his funniest when it sounds like he's talking on the spot, instead of reading from a script that he wrote prior to filming. Phantasmagoria and SWAT 4 was most definately his high point.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nekroskop

Spoony is great as long as he cuts back on those goddamn skits. He's been infected with the That Guy with the Glasses-H.I.V. Which means that he has to have at least one characterskit in every video.

I want the old Spoony back---

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By wrighteous86

Watched Phantasmagoria 2 with my girlfriend after the Random PC Game for the prequel here on GB. After we got about 1/3rd of the way in, we just watched a playthrough without his lame scripted jokes and commentary. It seems like he feels like he needs to be constantly talking and making lame references, with no pauses or breathing space or time for the "punchlines" to hit. He was more annoying than anything.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By TobbRobb

I watched his swat stuff and some FF videos, they were mostly funny. But any reviews are too longwinded, unfunny and WHINY. I couldn't care less about him covering cons and stuff either, since I have better sites for that. And really, I put him in the bag with VGcats dude, funny people with reaaaaaally reaaaaaally bad work discipline, THEY NEVER finish anything.... Spoony's FF videos had such cop out endings because he got tired or something, just mash the entire second half of the games into one video.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By beforet

He used to be a part of my daily web ritual. Every day I would devote a minute to checking his website. Now it's a once a month thing at most. I used to really like his style, but after a while it got both old and kind of frustrating. I know nerd rage is his schtick and the exaggerated nature of it was for the most part tongue in cheek, but that didn't make it very fun to watch after a while. I thought his FF8 videos were pretty good, as well as his other early stuff with the FMV games.

Oh, and all the charisma he possessed on camera disappeared immediately in his writing. With that stuff he just came off as an asshole.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

No.

theredcoat24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By theredcoat24

I was once a huge fan but eventully it just got kinda boring, plus as soon as he started selling those fucking stupid signed photos of himself all respect for that guy was lost

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of his older stuff was pretty good and Lordkat used to stream their weekly online DnD games and he's an awesome DM. But, I think he might have went a little off the deep end after his break up. I still enjoy his videos outside of his "Spoonyverse" or w/e you call it. When he's just being himself. I guess I don't mind his "hate everything" mentality, because I also have that mentality.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By lord_canti

yea i started watching due to his stuff with linkara and pretty much watch all the videos he puts out. also im gonna leave this here and let it scar in your brains

No Caption Provided
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten

His FF "reviews" (They're not) are great entertainment and his Let's Play of both Phantasmagoria 2 and SWAT 4 are some of his best stuff! 

Girard: "You're in my spot, sir" 
Spoony: "You son of a bitch I swear to god" 
Girard: "You're in my way, sir" 
Spoony: "You motherfucker, I will punch you in the fucking soul, you fucking asshat" 

One of the funnier rage moments of the SWAT4 Let's Play

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SuperWristBands

Yeah, I dig his stuff. I really appreciate his Ultima... uhh... "explanations?" that he has been doing recently and after finishing up his FFX-2 video about an hour ago I can say I am looking forward to what he does with FFXIII.

Also, OP, no fuckin' way Spoony had any influence on GB content. I doubt they have ever even heard of him.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Getz

Big fan of his, The Thing review is a classic. Phantasmagoria 2, SWAT 4, the Ultima Retrospective, Riff on Ripper, all great stuff.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm a big fan of both his game stuff and his movie stuff.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I freaking love Spoony. Granted, the guy's personal life took a bit of a downturn, but really, it happens. He has that knack for making the things you'd usually glance over funny, by shining the world's biggest spotlight on them. And he seems to be coming back strong, especially his vlogs about the twilight movies...I mean, in the last one he got drunk and ranted about how shitty it was, and I love that.

Yes, he can be an asshole, there was a point that he got a little too high on his horse, but I think he balanced out and has delivered nothing but fucking awesome since then. His reviews of games are nitpicky, but he sometimes picks up on bits and pieces that some people tend to ignore, and I appreciate that, because what might seem inconsequential for some, may be a huge fucking thorny pain in the ass for others.

The whole Oreo thing is equal parts funny and sad, mostly because for all the talk of his loneliness, any women he meets during conventions love him, and its kinda sad that he doesn't want to work with that, or just doesn't realise the potential he has there. Still, I love the guy and his stupid goddamn FF costumes. That's commitment to your job.

Artigkar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Artigkar

I enjoyed the Ultima Retrospective quite a bit, also liked his early reviews of FMV games like the Johhny mnemonic one. I like some of his non video game related stuff, especially his reviews of Reb Brown films. I got introduced to that "amazing" actor through these reviews.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jay444111

I honestly hate the guy deeply. He is an asshole. He just makes troll videos where he whines and is hurrahed (wait... that is a word?) for it. The man is a troll at best. A breed I like to call "Rare Whining Troll." It is rare and people like looking at rare things. It whines constantly and it is in fact, a troll.

But seriously, I do hate him. At least Zero punctation guy is funny because he has a British accent. I don't mean to offend British people, but if I was to watch the same video with the same lines about a funny subject, with the only difference being accents from American to British. The British accent is just better for use in comedy... IMO anyway.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

I will say I legitimately love his DnD videos. The video had that where it was just him and some guy reminiscing on an old campaign involving poo golems was hilarious.