I just got hired at one. Any tips?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Try to be as unfriendly as possible. Lie as much as possible to those moms who don't know any better. Remember to open every game before you sell it as new. and finally never do any actual work. Have fun.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chop

Just keep an eye on the classifieds. You'll be hating life after your first month if the people I've talked to are to be believed.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By SSully

I hear in order to work there you have to kill a small puppy on your first day. Can you confirm this?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

"Would you like to pre-order Modern Warfare 3?"

"No, come on, its just $5"

Rinse, repeat.

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sil3n7

Is there a single person on this earth that is actually a fan of that store at this point. I think its just a place people end up having to deal with.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Malphye

@Dagbikersaid:

Try to be as unfriendly as possible. Lie as much as possible to those moms who don't know any better. Remember to open every game before you sell it as new. and finally never do any actual work. Have fun.

Gotta give it up to you. Made me chuckle.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Samael2138

I worked for them around 3 years ago. You'll hear one thing alot. "Make sure to push for pre-orders!!" Which is how they will determine how many hours you get. I personally hate pushing people for that kind of thing, and because of that fact I ended up being scheduled for anywhere between 3-10 hours.... a week! Going to work for one 3 hour shift from 6-9 on a monday evening makes it even more difficult to get their precious fucking pre-orders. Which, coupled with the used game trade, is how they make all their money. It really doesn't matter how much you know about or play games, or how good you are with customers, all they care about are pre-orders.

@SSully

You just eat an already dead puppy your first day. Killing them is reserved for management!! :)

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Redbullet685 said:

Rinse, repeat.

This. And if they don't want it make sure to offer them a subscription to Game Informer. Come on, it's only $15!

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DjCmeP

Do you get any employee discount?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dichemstys

@Sil3n7 said:

Is there a single person on this earth that is actually a fan of that store at this point. I think its just a place people end up having to deal with.

I have a few friends who really like going there and walking around. I hate going.

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bombHills

Don't forget to hound customers to sign up for a golden finger membership

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By James_ex_machina
@SSully

I hear in order to work there you have to kill a small puppy on your first day. Can you confirm this?

I was made to drink it's blood hours later. Let me tell you cold blood is not very appealing.
Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By James_ex_machina

I almost forgot after opening up new games, take them home to make sure the game works. When repackaging use greasy cheeto covered fingers to fondle the disc.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PulledaBrad

I say watch your back and heres why. Friend of mine up untill about a month ago worked there for about 10-12 years. Je was the store manager. One day the district and a security guy show up and accuse him of stealing Marvel vs Capcom 3. They do their investigation and he takes a leave of absence (paid) and it turns out while hes on leave one of the employees there was caught stealing and guess what? He stole MvsC3 as well. So he comes back for a couple of months then is fired because his store "isnt up to corporate standards" even though his was the most profitable store in town ( I live in a town with 6 GameStops). What makes this fishy is the fact that hes about 43 now and was using his medical benefits a bit to address some medical problems. So GS decides to let him go and hire a younger manager that would do the same job for less money, and thats exactly what they did.

So again, watch your back. They will plant a knife in it an dont give a fuck about you. Ergo why I will never support that store or corporation ever again.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McGhee

@Devil240Z said:

Quit now and save yourself a lot of hardship. Wait tables or deliver pizzas and you'll make at least three times more money.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By scarace360

Hold on people work at gamestop?

chet_rippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chet_rippo

@PulledaBrad: Wow... that is just terrible. I didn't realize gamestop was THAT bad..

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devil240Z

I always hear these terrible stories about gamestop. never experienced it myself. There are two stores near my house and the people who work there are all really cool.

Also I have been trying to get a job for months. I have applied at every place imaginable. This was the first one to actually hire me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green
@DjCmeP said:

Do you get any employee discount?

yes, on accessories only. my friend worked there. maybe one of the places but my friend worked there and enjoyed working there.

push preorders. be nice to people. 

dont' be a douche and say hey want preorder this? come on i know what you want to get this game. how about this game.
SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SmilingPig

Tips:

1> Start hurting small animals

2> Try to talk about a dead plant like it’s the best thing in the world

3> Break up with your girlfriend and start romancing up your own mom

4> Kill your dog

5> Buy a rope

6> Learn to make a Hangman's knot

7> Buy or craft a stool

8> See how long you can hold your breath

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Ask people to preorder every game in the store, done.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

@Redbullet685 said:

Rinse, repeat.

Wait pre-orders cost? Wow, fuck that.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Sooperspy

@AlexW00d said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Rinse, repeat.

Wait pre-orders cost? Wow, fuck that.

It's $5 that goes to the purchase. So, if you buy the game at launch, it's $55. You could put any amount of money down at least if it's $5 or over.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tunaburn

most of the people that buy games go to a gamestop or similar store. people on these forums are ridiculous. i think they are mostly young still and dont understand asking if you want to pre-order a game is just a job and a make to make revenue. i am avoiding all gamestop posts form now on. youll be fine by the way. i work with gamestop to help promote my business and everyone is nice and seems to enjoy thier job.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlinkyTM

Just don't be a jerk. Usually if you're friendly and stuff people are more open to accepting pre-orders. Oh, and don't make small talk or anything unless the customer starts in first :P

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By donutfever

@Dagbiker said:

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss
@tunaburn: Yeah these are always filled to the brim with ridiculousness. 

The fact that someone can't handle a simple "Would you like to pre-order Modern Warfare", "No thanks" interaction says more to me about that person than the Gamestop employee. I mean seriously, learn to handle yourselves people. If you can't develop the basic skills required to enter, purchase and leave a game store relatively pain-free then I don't know what to say besides good luck if life ever decides to put some real heat on you.

But on the bright-side, I do get a laugh hearing about how many of you guys apparently get owned on a regular basis by Gamestop clerks, so thanks for that I guess.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oatz

ITT: teenagers of varying degrees of social ineptitude unable to handle basic salesman-customer interaction without being offended.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont mind them asking me to pre-order games, but when your trying to sell me a used game for $55 without the manual when i asked for the unopened copy which is selling for $60. thats not cool.

hexagonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hexagonz

Worked there for 7 years at two different locations (and opposite ends of the spectrum). When I first started out, it was at a low-volume store. With all that dead time we usually just ended up trying to beat each other's Road Rage scores in Burnout 3. The second store was the complete opposite and more like an actual job (go figure) where numbers mattered. That being said, we still had time to do stupid stuff like cutting Guy Fieri's face out of the manual for Minute to Win It on Wii and paste it over the faces of John Marston on Red Dead Redemption, or whoever graced the cover of NCAA Football that year. It was tough getting it to fit inside the helmet.

tl;dr - the job is what you make of it. It can be fun or it can be hell. Just enjoy it before you get a REAL job (I'm a car salesman now and I want to stab my fucking eyes out).

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By awe_stuck
@Devil240Z said:

Hit on the moms, smile at the all the girl gamers, dont give the guys your numbers (they could be gay), dont talk to the fat chick at the gamestop (pandas eat regularly). last but not least dont tell people you like ps3 unless you know they own you. wiis are just for games ;) they are expert counseling machines for couples that are dating
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karl_Boss

I would never work for gamestop.