Anyone like Between The Buried And Me?

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mattimus_prime

is there any one on here that listens to between the buried and me? i hope im not the only one.

if you are unfamiliar with the band, they are a progressive / heavy metal band, known for changing play styles on the fly and very technical. even if the music is not your cup of tea, i dare you to listen to them and say they aren't one of the most talented group of dudes ever. i suggest listening to the song "swim to the moon" i know its pretty damn long but its worth it. they are also one of the very few bands that gets better ( in my opinion anyway) with every album.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Damn thing ate my fucking post!

It amounts to "they're like Dream Theater with screaming, have you heard of Dream Theater, listen to this".

They're good, they're just not "one of the most talented group of dudes ever" good. Especially in progressive metal, where you've got to go up against the giants that are Dream Theater, Rush, or something modern and heavier like Opeth.

Loading Video...

But I'm hardly a musician, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Monkeyman04

I like some of their songs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mmm progressive metal

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yea sure. I like em.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listened to them awhile back, like 2005, it was alright. Maybe I should check em out again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why yes, yes I do

It amounts to "they're like Dream Theater with screaming, have you heard of Dream Theater, listen to this".

I don't think Dream Theater would be in the top 20 of bands that influenced them.

Mainly because Dream Theater blows.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to like em back in my high school metal phase. I know it's not the same but Job For A Cowboy was high up on my list too. Now I'm into the underground punk/DIY scene in my city so this level of production and popularity doesn't appeal to me anymore. Basement shows are where it's at.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

They're one of the only modern metal bands that I like. Colors is one of my favorite albums of all time!

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nhoj_Sllew

I love BTBAM, the last album was damn brilliant

Dream Theater with screaming is a very poor description, more like Dream Theater if they weren't boring :P

da shit

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

I don't think Dream Theater would be in the top 20 of bands that influenced them.

Please. BTBaM wishes they were Dream Theater or even had half the skill. All of their 90's albums are classics. Sure, most of their 2000's albums aren't the greatest things ever but their last two efforts have been great, especially the newest album that just released this week.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those kids go 1-on-1 with John Petrucci, John Myung, or Mike Portnoy, see how good they are then.

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see one of those kids go 1-on-1 with John Petrucci, John Myung, or Mike Portnoy, see how good they are then.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

I've always felt like this band is trying to be progressive just for the sake of being progressive, and it doesn't always work. Instrumentals are fine but I can't stand their vocalist...this is coming from someone whose favorite band is Opeth, so it's not as if I'm not used to screaming.

...Now I'm into the underground punk/DIY scene in my city so this level of production and popularity doesn't appeal to me anymore. Basement shows are where it's at.

If your favorite "underground" band signed a record deal and all of a sudden put out a professionally produced album and made it big, you would be done with them? By definition, it sounds like you only like music that is bad...because good music becomes popular, and you don't like popular music?

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: Opinions and whatnot, I think Dream Theater is boring, the vocals are annoying and has way to much prog wankery.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@flacracker: Opinions and whatnot, I think Dream Theater is boring, the vocals are annoying and has way to much prog wankery.

That's my problem with so much of this kind of music...

The formula is so rigid, the lyrics are either too theratrical or dramatic and there's too many high-pitched guitars playing over a drum track that A) sounds like it's from the Garage Band library, and B) sound like a dude on speed. It's like they're more interested in showing you how great they are at playing their instruments and wailing about life and death then they are writing a good song. All IMHO of course.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zella

Heard of them before but only gave them a listen now, not my thing. They don't sound bad to me but just not the style I like. Also they do totally sound like Dream Theater with screaming to me. I wouldn't say they are one of the most talented technically, they are pretty good for sure but comparing them to the likes of John Petrucci and Chris Letchford doesn't seem fair. They also seem to do the thing most prog metal bands do which is fail to realize that playing slowly can be just as strong as playing incredibly fast, sure for some of them it's their style but that style seems to dominate the genre. I mean one of the creators of the genre, Tool, rarely plays that fast. One of the reason I started to listening to more post metal rather than prog metal. Not really a knock against the band but the genre in general.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RonGalaxy

Most of the people who say dream theater is technical don't actually know why they are. Saying "time signatures yo" doesn't mean anything. If the music isn't good, that stuff means nothing

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

There's no way that this doesn't take some inspiration from Dream Theater. It sounds a hell of a lot like a lot of things that Dream Theater does.

Loading Video...

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By squiDc00kiE

@mb said:

If your favorite "underground" band signed a record deal and all of a sudden put out a professionally produced album and made it big, you would be done with them? By definition, it sounds like you only like music that is bad...because good music becomes popular, and you don't like popular music?

@mb: I apologize. I didn't mean to sound like a hipster there. My point was that I appreciate getting to know the people in the bands I enjoy on a personal level. That's not really possible once they make it big. I still enjoy a great deal of very popular music. I'm just more in touch with the DIY because of the friends I've made through it.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Symphony X > whatever you guys are talking about here.

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

that song sounds 10x more interesting than the Dream Theater one you linked earlier

that's the difference to me

to each his own though. Johnny P is a great guitarist but his solos just don't do it for me

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@missacre said:

@theveteran13 said:

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

their playing ability is great but that's not worth shit if it isn't also accompanied by interesting songs (which is where they fail). I used to like them but alot of their songs sound very similar.

nothing DT does will ever eclipse Colors, is what I'm saying

though I don't think anything BTBAM does from here on out will either, but you know

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ponytail metal.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ponytail metal.

what does that even mean

isn't all metal ponytail metal

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ben_H

Symphony X > whatever you guys are talking about here.

You're not wrong. That's for sure. Now you've made me have to listen to a bunch of them again.

As for the topic, I don't really like Between the Buried and Me. I find it kinda sterile and boring. Just like modern Dream Theater. I love the first 3 or so DT albums, but after that they are a bit of a snorefest for me. If I want something technical but with clean vocals I listen to Symphony X or Adagio. If I want technical/deep stuff with growly vocals I listen to Quo Vadis or Emperor.

Also, Adagio has sick bass. I was very close to buying a 5 string bass just to learn some of their songs.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@peasantabuse said:

Ponytail metal.

what does that even mean

isn't all metal ponytail metal

mmmmm, probably.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have listened to some of their songs. They are not really for me. I am not a fan of bands that do that whole 'open e chugging' sound with their guitars. I enjoy parts of their somgs, but then they go back into the slow chugging riffs.

If itakes much sense, I prefer my metal to be intense, not heavy.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to be honest it doesnt make sense why i like them so much. im really not that into progressive, i more like the chariot (rip the chariot those guys kick so much ass) and every time i die i like hard core. but for what ever reason btbam just speaks to me on a really deep level that i cant explain, blake richardson is seriously the best drummer i have ever heard and dan brigs can play some sweet jams on that bass ive heard dream theater but i dont really follow them much but to me they are kind of boring. but i only know like 4 of their songs.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was curious where this thread disappeared to. Wanted to see if it got any further than it's base discussion on whether people liked them. I'll be seeing them tomorrow though, they're doing parallax II front to back, I think. I kind of got bored with them around the time of Colors/The Great Misdirect but I've enjoyed both the Parallax discs quite a bit. Plus I'll get to catch The Faceless (aka The Michael Keene experience) again, which will be nice. Have seen Btbam two times before though, once in 06, then when they toured with The Ocean/Cephalic Carnage/Job For a Cowboy. Tomorrow will hopefully be three.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...

Relevancy that just came out.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mattimus_prime

@animasta said:

@missacre said:

@theveteran13 said:

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

their playing ability is great but that's not worth shit if it isn't also accompanied by interesting songs (which is where they fail). I used to like them but alot of their songs sound very similar.

though I don't think anything BTBAM does from here on out will either, but you know

now dont get me wrong im at a point where i am unhealthily obsessed with btbam but i dont think colors is their best work it definitely is in terms of pacing and flow its defiantly one of my top albums ever, but there are songs that are favorites of mine that arent on colors like 'disease, injury, madness' and ' backwards marathon' and blake richardson could drum circles around mike portnoy. dont believe me? listen to ' melting city' there is a drum solo in there that i have seen him do with my own eyes and i still can't comprehend it.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH GOD MY EAR HOLES!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@missacre said:

@theveteran13 said:

Why yes, yes I do

@believer258 said:

now dont get me wrong im at a point where i am unhealthily obsessed with btbam but i dont think colors is their best work it definitely is in terms of pacing and flow its defiantly one of my top albums ever, but there are songs that are favorites of mine that arent on colors like 'disease, injury, madness' and ' backwards marathon' and blake richardson could drum circles around mike portnoy. dont believe me? listen to ' melting city' there is a drum solo in there that i have seen him do with my own eyes and i still can't comprehend it.

How is it "defiantly" one your top albums ever?

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I like them, though I've mostly listened to The Great Misdirect, which is a great album. I love how diverse they can be, which is pretty key when your songs get up the 18 minute mark.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god. When people get in to pissing contests about how the band they like is more technical than the band you like, it's the worst thing ever. PLUS CLEARLY SPASTIC INK ARE THE MOST TECHNICAL BAND AND ALL THE STUFF YOU LIKE IS TERRIBLE SO YOU'RE DOUBLEY WRONG (please nobody take this seriously). I can't say I wasn't like that when I was 15 though :P

And yes, I do like BTBAM. Colors is a great album. I saw them live once and there was an issue with one of the amps that ended up cutting the show about half an hour short, so that sucked...

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be heavily into them during their first couple of records. "Colors" is good but it is where I started to lose interest in them because I felt like this is where they started to try and sound too "epic" with songs spanning over 10 minutes. The songs being that lengthy isn't a bad thing, but theirs that length just never tend to hold me. "Alaska" is their last album I really like, and the cover album is pretty neat.

I remember when I bought their first full length (ST) and that is where I first heard of the Westboro Baptist Church, the vocalist mentioned them in the booklet somewhere.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never get behind the way they go from melodic to thrash without transitions

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Colors is one of the best albums ever, the rest not so much.