poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

Poll Are you an HD snob? (478 votes)

Yes. I only watch things in HD. No interlacing allowed! 24%
Kind of. I prefer HD, but I'll watch SD if I have to. 480p/720i is okay with me 62%
No. I'll watch anything, regardless of definition. 240p? Sure!! 14%
No. I can't tell the difference between HD and SD. 0%

I'm definitely an HD snob, myself. If I can't watch something in at least 720p, I won't watch it. I recently noticed how bad I've become when I realized I won't even watch cartoons that aren't in HD anymore.

How about you guys? Personally I've never understood how people could say they can't tell a difference between HD and SD. My grandparents and sister both claim to be unable to tell. It drives me crazy!

• 
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I have gotten really bad but I will compromise if I have no choice.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd like to say that I don't care but I haven't seen a non-HD video longer than ten minutes in years.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'll always watch HD if it is an option, but not the end of the world if it isn't. For me sound is more important.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fisk0 said:
@john1912 said:

I find HD snobs to be completely fucking annoying. If you seriously will not watch a great SD show, movie, or game youre just a grade A snob. I guess I see less of this for tv/movies. More the completely over the top stereotype PC elitists who have to game in 4k, and still brag about how great Crysis was. Some literally care more about the graphics then if the game is good. Case in point Crysis... >.>

If I dload a show or movie, 99% of the time its in the lowest resolution because I dont want them taking up a retarded amount of space on my HD. 4-6gigs vs 15-25 gigs is no contest. It just doesnt look that much better.

I think Crysis is one of the best FPS games on the past decade, but I played it on low settings in 800x600 on my laptop back in 2010 and then played through the PS3 version, and my enjoyment wasn't lessened by the fact that the game wasn't running on max settings.

Ive tried to play the first one 3x. Was never able to finish it, got bored every time about 2 hours in. Played most of 3. I find them to be very middling games. They just seem rather forgettable other then the huge buzz over the graphics. It seems really rare I come across anyone who will bring up the games, let alone actually mention what about the game play that was so amazing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#55 fisk0  Moderator

@john1912 said:
@fisk0 said:
@john1912 said:

I find HD snobs to be completely fucking annoying. If you seriously will not watch a great SD show, movie, or game youre just a grade A snob. I guess I see less of this for tv/movies. More the completely over the top stereotype PC elitists who have to game in 4k, and still brag about how great Crysis was. Some literally care more about the graphics then if the game is good. Case in point Crysis... >.>

If I dload a show or movie, 99% of the time its in the lowest resolution because I dont want them taking up a retarded amount of space on my HD. 4-6gigs vs 15-25 gigs is no contest. It just doesnt look that much better.

I think Crysis is one of the best FPS games on the past decade, but I played it on low settings in 800x600 on my laptop back in 2010 and then played through the PS3 version, and my enjoyment wasn't lessened by the fact that the game wasn't running on max settings.

Ive tried to play the first one 3x. Was never able to finish it, got bored every time about 2 hours in. Played most of 3. I find them to be very middling games. They just seem rather forgettable other then the huge buzz over the graphics. It seems really rare I come across anyone who will bring up the games, let alone actually mention what about the game play that was so amazing.

2 and 3 certainly didn't have much more than the looks, but the first Crysis was a really good continuation of what Crytek had tried to do with the first Far Cry, in extension maybe even my favorite parts of Deus Ex - you had an amazing freedom in how to take on your mission objectives, the suit abilities, weapon customization and the open world just gave you a great toolset to figure out and execute whatever dumb way you wanted to approach the objectives. Today I guess it's very similar to how the later Far Cry games handle it. I've never been a fan of upgrade systems, and Crysis gave you all your abilities upfront to do whatever you wanted with, and I really enjoyed that, instead of having to climb towers and grind through a bunch of other nonsense in order to unlock your options like you had to in Far Cry 3 and 4.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could not agree more. If whatever you are running can handle the high resolution you ought to opt for HD. No snobbery involved. SD still has a fair share of applications too.

We like picture clarity. Doesn't make us snobs

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

480p looks great on 1024x768.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I will go out of my way to watch in HD, if it is reasonable. If I can't or it would be too expensive, I'll settle. It's not the end of the world, after all. Also depends on what it is exactly. If it's a movie I've never seen and have no attachment to, I don't care too much.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#59  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Yes

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I prefer the best I can get, but if the best is sub-HD then that's fine.

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't even mind 4:3.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@eaxis: I only started minding 4:3 when I wanted to watch things on my phone for busrides. That letterboxing really hurts on a small screen. T.T

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#63 riostarwind  Moderator

Well thanks to my internet provider I usually have to stick to sub-HD. Otherwise I would be streaming HD all the time like I used to. Although I don't really care if it's SD or HD. No matter the quality I'll still enjoy the content of whatever I happen to be watching.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah, I'm already blind as a bat as it is.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Yes, unfortunately I have a real hard time with SD content now. The crisp images and details are really hard to give up. Though I guess if I play an old console like a NES or SNES I need to play it on an old TV because they look like junk on my HDTV. I do prefer to play them emulated through Wii U or the PC though so yeah I've become a real HD snob.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes, but calling me a 'snob' because of it is a joke.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to be snobbish, but I have a data limit so I watch most everything in 480p which is fine for most things. All of my games are in 1080 though since play those on the same 60" that i watch movies and shows on. I have my PC connected to my TV, so I don't have a fancy monitor with 2x resolution and thats also fine with me

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the format/platform and situation.

For PC games: The native resolution for my "monitor" is 1360x768, so I rather have games run at that resolution since lower resolutions look blurry and mess with the color space, while higher resolutions also mess with the color space and hide UI elements. Getting a monitor is on my to-do list, but 144Hz 1080p monitors since I don't care about 4k and going above 60 FPS/Hz would be nice from time to time.

For consoles: Whatever the game was designed at since I'm not big on emulation. I'm not going to buy component cables for my PS2, but I'm more of a 16:9 snob in this regard since there are still a few PS3 HD collections that I still want to pick up.

For internet video: 1080p, unless I just have something on as background noise in which 480p works fine for audio quality.

For video on physical media: I prefer Blu-ray above anything else, but I'm not going to re-buy something if I already have it on DVD. Already went through that with VHS.

For phones: I'm not much of a phone "power user". They're pretty much glorified mp3 players that can occasionally call and text people and check my various e-mail addresses given how I use them. So I can't justify paying hundreds for phones with 1440p screens, or even 1080p since I only two apps on a daily basis. But I can't go lower than 720p since I occasionally like to watch YouTube videos.

...So I guess the TL;DR is 'yes, but within reason.'

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tobbrobb: I see how 4:3 would be bad on a small screen. In my case I don't watch shows on my phone.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#70  Edited By isomeri

If I know that the material in question (a movie for example) is available in HD then I'm ready to wait or pay extra for it. If however there's no way to get something in HD I don't mind watching it in whatever format I can.

It also depends on the content. I wouldn't want to watch Planet Earth from a DVD, but I'm fine with watching a political documentary etc. that way.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd call myself more of a bitrate snob. I'd rather watch something at a lower resolution with a higher bitrate than something that's higher resolution but with a lower bitrate but only GB seems to stress this. Like Jeff, Vinny and Drew will always push for more bitrate than more resolution if they can (at least that's what they've spoken about in the past). A higher bitrate just allows for better motion which is of more importance for video games which obviously tend to have a lot of motion in them whereas if you have something more stationary, a lower bitrate can work fine.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For movies I usually download the 1080p versions and shows are fine in their HDTV quality.

For games I just play at my monitor resolution which is 2560x1440.